Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Duke finishes +17 today and is +42 overall. Not in last, but next-to-last (nine shots clear of BYU, who is still on the course). Ouch.
    The afternoon round has just started and scores are typically over par. We should pass a few teams -- but will need a major miracle to qualify.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Our results in Rounds 1 and 2 are especially disappointing. The field of 30 teams was divided into the "upper half," including #8 Duke, and the lower half. BYU, ranked 29, was allowed to join the upper half because it had already played its "Sunday round" and got a pass for an early start on Friday. Omitting BYU, Duke was last among the upper-half teams in both Round 1 and Round 2.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-25-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Pesky subject-verb agreement
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Our results in Rounds 1 and 2 are especially disappointing. The field of 30 teams was divided into the "upper half," including #8 Duke, and the lower half. BYU, ranked 29, was allowed to join the upper half because it had already played its "Sunday round" and got a pass for an early start on Friday. Omitting BYU, Duke was last among the upper-half teams in both Round 1 and Round 2.
    I hadn’t thought of this until now, but BYU won’t play at all tomorrow because it is Sunday and BYU doesn’t play on Sunday. So when is/was their third round (holes 37-54)? This afternoon?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I hadn’t thought of this until now, but BYU won’t play at all tomorrow because it is Sunday and BYU doesn’t play on Sunday. So when is/was their third round (holes 37-54)? This afternoon?
    It played Round 3 on Thursday and shot +21 309. This means that the greenskeepers had to scurry around on Thursday and create the pin positions just for BYU.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The afternoon round has just started and scores are typically over par. We should pass a few teams -- but will need a major miracle to qualify.
    Not so much on the passing a few afternoon teams. Our +17 remains the second-worst of the day, behind only last-place BYU’s +19. Carolina firmly on the bubble going into tomorrow’s third round. Wake in solid position.

Closing the loop, Duke shot a respectable +6 today,’and moved up four places as a result. But they did not finish in the top 15, so their season ends today.

Closing the loop, Duke shot a respectable +6 today,’and moved up four places as a result. But they did not finish in the top 15, so their season ends today.
    Yep. Good showing -- 19 shots better than in Round 1.

Kudos to defending champion Oklahoma State, which leads the medal play by 25 shots -- minus (-) 12 to +13 for Texas and Stanford.
    Sage Grouse

Wait, wait! It's not Over -- Duke's Chandler Eaton Continues Individual Play

Aha! There is more Duke men's golf to entertain or torture us. Chandler Eaton, T11 and +1, qualified to play for the individual championship, which will be awarded after today's play. He tees off at 12:17 CDT. Leader is Matthew Wolff of Oklahoma State at -7.
    Sage Grouse

A wrap-up on the NCAA championship. Duke golfer Chandler Eaton tied for 15th in individual scoring, good enough for All-America recognition. Matthew Wolff of Oklahoma State won the individual title.

Stanford (the #6 seed) won the team title 3-2 over #5 seed Texas which had taken out #1 seed Oklahoma State. Seems like the seeding often doesn't hold when the team match-ups occur.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A wrap-up on the NCAA championship. Duke golfer Chandler Eaton tied for 15th in individual scoring, good enough for All-America recognition. Matthew Wolff of Oklahoma State won the individual title.

Stanford (the #6 seed) won the team title 3-2 over #5 seed Texas which had taken out #1 seed Oklahoma State. Seems like the seeding often doesn't hold when the team match-ups occur.
    True for the men and doubly true for the women, where Duke was the only high seed to progress.

Men's Championship
    Code:
    Rank Team Stroke Math
    1	OKST	  1	Semis
    4	VAND	  2	Semis
    3	WAKE    3	Quarters
    5	TEXS	  4	Finals
    6	OKLA	  5	Semis
    10	STAN	  6	Champion
    17	TA&M    7	Quarters
    --	SMU	 8	Quarters
    Women's Championship
    Code:
    2	TEXS	1	Quarters
    3	DUKE	2	Champion
    1	USC	3	Quarters
    10	ARK	4	Quarters
    6	WAKE   5	Finals
    4	ARIZ	6	Semis
    7	STAN	7	Quarters
    13	AUBU	8	Semis
    What is impressive is that the "cream rose to the top" in stroke play. Among the men, the top six qualifiers for match play were top ten teams -- joined by #17 A&M and unranked SMU. Among the women, the top seven qualifiers were top ten teams, joined by #13 Auburn in eighth place.
    Sage Grouse