Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2019 NCAA Men's Golf

Terrific round of -8 for the Duke Men's Golf team in the 2nd round (of 3) in the NCAA Regional event in Athens, GA.

Now in second place, just 1 shot back from home team Georgia Bulldogs. Four Duke golfers were under par for the 2nd round, led by Steven DeLisio with a 3-under 68.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...team&tid=17524

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Terrific round of -8 for the Duke Men's Golf team in the 2nd round (of 3) in the NCAA Regional event in Athens, GA.

Now in second place, just 1 shot back from home team Georgia Bulldogs. Four Duke golfers were under par for the 2nd round, led by Steven DeLisio with a 3-under 68.

Thanks, Roywhite.

Six teams qualify for the NCAA's, which is held this year in Fayetteville, AR, at the private club where the Razorbacks play.

Duke has a 20-shot lead, as in TWENTY-SHOT LEAD, over the number seven team -- actually, there is a four-way tie for fifth. Leads disappear really fast in team golf (best four out of five rounds), but I like our chances.

Standings for the top ten teams (six qualify):
    -4 Georgia
    -3 Duke
    +4 Vanderbilt
    +14 Liberty
    +17 Tennessee
    +17 Memphis
    +17 SMU
    +17 Nevada
    +19 Campbell
    +20 Kentucky
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

On to Nationals

Similar to the success of the Duke Women's Golf team, the Men's Golf team did well in the NCAA Regionals and have qualified for the NCAA Championships.

They finished 2nd to home team Georgia; Alex Smalley and Chandler Eaton finished -1 for the tournament and tied for 7th in individual scoring.

Men's NCAA Tournament Underway

Also played at the Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The course is set up at 7,550 yards as a par 72 -- there's a 617-yard par five, a 515-yard par 4 and a 225-yard par three.

Duke plays the afternoon round, ranked #8 and playing with Georgia Tech and Southern California. Oklahoma State, Arizona State, and Wake Forest are the top three seeds.

Here's a link to the scoring.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Also played at the Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The course is set up at 7,550 yards as a par 72 -- there's a 617-yard par five, a 515-yard par 4 and a 225-yard par three.

Duke plays the afternoon round, ranked #8 and playing with Georgia Tech and Southern California. Oklahoma State, Arizona State, and Wake Forest are the top three seeds.

Here's a link to the scoring.
    Rough start, with Duke at +6 cumulatively through 4 to 6 holes. Texas currently leading at -3. A lot of golf left, though.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Rough start, with Duke at +6 cumulatively through 4 to 6 holes. Texas currently leading at -3. A lot of golf left, though.
    Yep. Two players with triple bogeys. After 4-6 holes, Chandler Eaton and Adrien Pendaries are under par; Smalley (#8 in the field), Katz and DiLisio are all at +4.
    Sage Grouse

+16 at holes 10-13. Tied for 17. Not looking good right now.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    +16 at holes 10-13. Tied for 17. Not looking good right now.
    Important to remember -- we are playing with house money.
    Sage Grouse

Important to remember -- we are playing with house money.
    The #25 Heels are in the clubhouse T13 at +16. #8 Duke is currently T23 at +21 and seemingly leaking oil with holes still to play. That’s “house money” how, exactly?

And when the men win, I somehow feel sure Julian will post with a women's player...

(ducks, covers)

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And when the men win, I somehow feel sure Julian will post with a women's player...

(ducks, covers)

-jk
    In his defense, in Rocky, Adrian was female.

<also ducks and runs>

The #25 Heels are in the clubhouse T13 at +16. #8 Duke is currently T23 at +21 and seemingly leaking oil with holes still to play. That’s “house money” how, exactly?
    The women won the championship at the same course two days ago.
    Sage Grouse

The women won the championship at the same course two days ago.
    Hooray! The oranges won. Who cares what the apples taste like?

Myself, I take them independently, as they are not mutually exclusive. And the guys aren’t currently DFL, but they are within a few shots of it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Hooray! The oranges won. Who cares what the apples taste like?

Myself, I take them independently, as they are not mutually exclusive. And the guys aren’t currently DFL, but they are within a few shots of it. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
    We won't have long to wait. The men are off at 7:45 AM CDT with the same pairings as today.
    Sage Grouse

Not a good first day. There is some time to recover. From goduke.com, here is the format:

The NCAA Championship format has each of the 30 teams playing 54 holes of stroke play on Friday, Saturday and Sunday before the field is cut to the low 15 teams for Monday’s final round of stroke play. The NCAA’s individual champion is also crowned on Monday.

Following Monday, the low eight teams advance to match play with quarterfinals and semifinals on Tuesday, May 28. The NCAA Championship match is set for the following day.

The team is now tied for 27th place, 8 shots in back of 14th place.

Already dropped two spots this morning, now in 2d to last place. Lots of golf to be played, but they are digging a mighty deep hole.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Already dropped two spots this morning, now in 2d to last place. Lots of golf to be played, but they are digging a mighty deep hole.
    First rule of holes: When you’re in one, quit digging. Duke has not yet learned that, and has now sunk to DFL. Hoping for a rally of some kind.

First rule of holes: When you’re in one, quit digging. Duke has not yet learned that, and has now sunk to DFL. Hoping for a rally of some kind.
    The other 14 teams playing this morning's round are collectively -16. We are +6.
    Sage Grouse

I'm pretty sure that's not the first rule of holes in golf.

Duke finishes +17 today and is +42 overall. Not in last, but next-to-last (nine shots clear of BYU, who is still on the course). Ouch.