Doris Day has passed at 97

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, and also probably (?!) before the time of many on this board, but a true legend.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...o6i?li=BBnbfcL

R.I.P.

Heard about it this morning on the way to work in my car.

Sad, but she did live 97 years. Amazing singing voice. Her Christmas album is still a classic.

She lived near Carmel/Monterey for at least the last 3 or 4 decades. Spent a lot of time and energy into helping animals that were abused or abandoned, if I recall correctly.

Truly one of the all-time greats.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Whose next? Betty White?

Ugh...getting old is only made better because the alternative sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Ugh...getting old is only made better because the alternative sucks.
    Who knows?

Doris will be missed: Que sera, sera.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Sad, but she did live 97 years. Amazing singing voice. Her Christmas album is still a classic.

She lived near Carmel/Monterey for at least the last 3 or 4 decades. Spent a lot of time and energy into helping animals that were abused or abandoned, if I recall correctly.

She was co-owner of the Cypress Inn in Carmel, a dog-friendly hotel. Carmel is a dog-friendly town - hosts Poodle Day every September, which benefits a poodle rescue foundation.

Doris Day as Mrs. Robinson?

Apparently, Day was offered the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate, but turned it down because it wasn't consistent with her image:

From Kathleen Parker of the WaPo:

Today, Day’s characters would be laughable to world-weary children trapped in a sexualized culture. But I can testify that watching grown-ups crawl into twin beds wearing pajamas brings no harm to the underaged. I’m grateful for the innocence that society then permitted its younger generation, and to actors such as Day, who declined roles, including Mrs. Robinson in “The Graduate,” that defied her values.
    Now, fuzzy close-ups and all, I can think for a while about Doris Day with "Mr. Goldfarb" at the hotel tryst.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Her championing of the rights of animals began when she saw the treatment of the sheep, goats, etc. used in the marketplace scenes in The Man Who Knew Too Much. She insisted that they be fed and watered before she'd go on set.