Restaurants and activities in Atlanta - near Emory University

I'm heading south next week and looking forward to it.

I have a deposition in Meridian, MS and, the next day, a deposition in Atlanta. My wife is coming down and we will spend a couple of extra days exploring the area.

I served at Fort Benning, GA in the 1970's and knew Atlanta pretty well back then. I sued Emory University Medical Center in 1995, spent some time there, and haven't been back since.

My wife and I are staying at the Emory Conference Center for two nights.

Do any of you Hot-Lanta folks (I'm dating myself) have recommendations on nearby restaurants or activities?

Thanks.

I've been gone from Atlanta a while now, so a lot of places have come and gone.
    Fat Matt's is not too far from there and appears to still be there doing the same thing as always and never disappointed me.

Twain’s in downtown Decatur, about 3 miles from Emory’s main campus, is a great brewpub with very good bar food, a range of house-brewed beers, pool tables, etc. My wife and I go there frequently.

I grew up and continue to live in the Emory/Decatur area. It is convenient to just about anywhere in Atlanta...just the traffic can be horrendous.

Downtown Decatur is a short trip has lots of really good restaurants, although parking is isn't always the easiest or most convenient.

Iberian Pig - tapas
    Leon's Full Service - gastropub
    Brick Store Pub - bar food and great beer selections, especially Belgian
    Kimball House - James Beard finalist for outstanding bar program
    Revival - owned by Top Chef finalist Kevin Gillespie

are just a few. Lots of info about Decatur restaurants online. Other areas not too far from Emory are Virginia Highlands, Midtown.. the Ponce City Market has a food hall with offerings from some of the most well known and award nominated chefs in the city.

Things to do? The Atlanta Botanical Garden is opening an exhibit: Imaginary Worlds

https://atlantabg.org/plan-your-visi...ginary-worlds/

Like museums? The High Museum of Art has a couple of exhibitions going on now. Or, the Michael Carlos Museum on the Emory campus has Egyptian/Ancient art and other exhibitions.

There is always the option of the tourist spots of the GA Aquarium, World of Coca-Cola, College Football Hall of Fame, or close by is the National Center for Civil and Human Rights

I'm sure other folks will have even more or better suggestions. Enjoy your stay!

Quote Originally Posted by dairedevil View Post

I'm sure other folks will have even more or better suggestions. Enjoy your stay!
    Atlanta is a great city! So much to see and do, and a foodies paradise. There is waaay too much to do blind recommendations. I would really need to know what are you into, how much time do you have, do you want to see the sights, or just have some good meals (what type of food do you like)?

And I wouldn't worry about traffic, let the Uber driver worry about that. Atlanta is a major city. All cities have traffic.

What nights (day of the week) will you be here? Is clubbing your thing? There is an active live music scene also. The Braves might be in town as well, or Atlanta United.

Are you looking for luxury, 5-star experiences, or casual or seeing the real Atlanta locals scene? Do you have daytimes available for walking or bicycle touring?

I do love Atlanta, and often say if you can't find your groove in the ATL, you don't have a groove. So many great neighborhoods and different opportunities!

Agreed with BA. Blind recommendations can be hard, but I'll give it a shot.**

As for activities, one of the best options around is a bicycle tour of the east side of Atlanta. We have done Bicycle Tours of Atlanta a few times (https://biketoursatl.com/) and love it. You will learn a ton about the history of the city, race relations, MLK, the impact of Coca Cola on the city, and much more. This is probably the number one activity you can do. The bike ride is about 3 hours and not too strenuous.

For restaurants, Steinbecks is a bit of a hidden gem on that side of town that has a phenomenal hamburger. The food hall at Krog City Market or Ponce City Market are fun (if very busy). Fox Brothers is the "go-to" BBQ spot in Atlanta. If you are willing to travel into the heart of midtown, South City Kitchen is high-end Southern food with the best fried chicken in town (or at least tied with Paschals, which is MLK's former hangout).

I always love these threads - always gives me new ideas to explore my own city.

**All value judgments reflect my own personal opinions.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    Atlanta is a great city! So much to see and do, and a foodies paradise. There is waaay too much to do blind recommendations. I would really need to know what are you into, how much time do you have, do you want to see the sights, or just have some good meals (what type of food do you like)?

And I wouldn't worry about traffic, let the Uber driver worry about that. Atlanta is a major city. All cities have traffic.

What nights (day of the week) will you be here? Is clubbing your thing? There is an active live music scene also. The Braves might be in town as well, or Atlanta United.

Are you looking for luxury, 5-star experiences, or casual or seeing the real Atlanta locals scene? Do you have daytimes available for walking or bicycle touring?

I do love Atlanta, and often say if you can't find your groove in the ATL, you don't have a groove. So many great neighborhoods and different opportunities!
    Agree with this, loved living in ATL and spent a lot of time around the Emory area back in the day. ATL is a huge foodie place, you can find pretty much any type of cuisine and level of dining. Lots of neighborhoods still retain distinct characters (Little Five Points, Virginia-Highlands, etc.) and have their own hang-outs.

Plenty of music, and AtlUtd is the big ticket these days. Braves are out in Cobb County (a bit outside the Perimeter to the north) and pretty sure there is no mass transit to get out there. High Museum has a nice collection and some interesting rotating/visiting exhibitions. Any show at the Fabulous Fox Theater is worth attending.

The MARTA rail line is pretty useless, it essentially has an East-West and a North-South line that may not go anywhere near where you want to be. There is a stop or two in Decatur though and it can get you downtown, midtown and parts of Buckhead. See how far a walk it will be before using though, it is not like DC or NYC.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    ...Braves are out in Cobb County (a bit outside the Perimeter to the north) and pretty sure there is no mass transit to get out there.
    This is true, and the Barves can burn in that soulless hellscape.
    High Museum has a nice collection and some interesting rotating/visiting exhibitions. Any show at the Fabulous Fox Theater is worth attending.
    Also both true, and the buildings themselves are high-style edifices worth exploration in their own rights.

The MARTA rail line is pretty useless, it essentially has an East-West and a North-South line that may not go anywhere near where you want to be. There is a stop or two in Decatur though and it can get you downtown, midtown and parts of Buckhead. See how far a walk it will be before using though, it is not like DC or NYC.

Enjoy!
    While MARTA is limited, I wouldn't call it useless; it's not bad at all if it happens to be near where you want to go. Google Maps directions will give you a pretty good indication of the proximity of rail lines to your destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    This is true, and the Barves can burn in that soulless hellscape.
    This induced a robust and highly audible guffaw.

I hear the new park is nice, but have not been. The "old" park (opened for the 1996 Olympics) was super convenient for me to jaunt into town and bop back home.

Hitting the Perimeter at the tail end of rush hour, to find a parking spot within a mile or two of the stadium for less than a kidney? Nah, I have a TV with cold beer right here thank you very much.

(But again, I'm sure it is a nice park)

Thanks to all who responded. My wife and I were less ambitious than I originally thought we'd be. We had good barbecue in College Park and then in DeKalb. We did a lot of walking around the Emory area - the trees are fabulous to this couple from semi arid Denver.

We ended up meeting some old friends in Gainesville today. We drove to a winery near Dahlonega and then walked around Dahlonega a bit.

Very nice time in an interesting, vibrant, beautiful area.