Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hah!

Here is my anime contribution: I got the name Ash as short for Ashram, a character from Record of Lodoss War, which was on the TV when I created my first internet account, and is still the name I use basically everywhere, from email to blog to Xbox live
    Nice! Similar for me. Bjornolf is the name of a character in one of my books. I picked it back in the 90s when I signed up for my first yahoo mail account because I wanted something unusual that I wouldn’t have to fight people for going forward. Never wanted to be myname974268742@random.com.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I’d start with sword art online or full metal alchemist brotherhood if it were me. Both are on netflix right now, though SAO is leaving next month, so I’d start with that one if you think you’d be interested in it and you have netflix.

For a family, I’d start with avatar the last airbender.
    Does someone without an affinity or knowledge of gaming enjoy Sword Art as much?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Does someone without an affinity or knowledge of gaming enjoy Sword Art as much?
    Well, probably not, but that could probably said for the subject of most movies and shows.

I don’t think you’d need a large knowledge of video games to enjoy it. It’s not all geeky about constantly mentioning their armor level or anything like that. But if you hate anything that has anything to do with gaming then you probably wouldn’t enjoy it. I would guess that most (certainly not all) people who are interested in anime would know enough about video games to enjoy it. It’s really more about the possible dangers of new and mysterious technologies. It’s not as video game geeky as ready player one, for example, but it’s in a similar vein.

My first taste of anime was way back when in the 60's. Tobor the 8th Man and Gigantor took a back seat only to the seven Marvel cartoons that were being aired back then. Later in life I caught bits and pieces of Star Blazers and enjoyed watching that, of course when you have adult commitments and no recording tech it's hard to follow a series.

Toonami got me watching cartoons again and some of my favorite anime movies are, Ninja Scroll, Blood: The Last Vampire, and Wicked City.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I was about to ask how old you were because we seem to have this part in common 100% but I see you have it in your profile (I'm 29 btw so we grew up watching the same stuff).

I'm with you on not caring much about continuing to follow those anymore but with 1 exception. Watch the new Dragonball Super and skip some of the fillers. Not sure if you ever watched Dragonball GT but don't and of you did try to forget it. GT wasn't cannon and Super is, it's really good and the only issue I have with it is how easy some of the new characters power up to give our hero's a run in the new tournament of worlds.
    Should I try to get caught up on Dragon Ball Z first?

This thread has inspired me to find some free Roku channels with decent anime selection (with success)! Unfortunately, none have dubbed Cowboy Bebop unfortunately (I suppose I could try subbed although I've always had trouble staying engaged with subbed series when I've tried).

I used to use crunchy roll a lot for anime. Haven’t used it in a while though.

My son is very much into Anime. He joined the Japan club at school which is apparently a big deal these days. He says most of the club members are not Asian or Asian American. I saw in an article this year that Zion is also into Anime. I’d love to share their enthusiasm for it but I don’t even watch animated American shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Should I try to get caught up on Dragon Ball Z first?

This thread has inspired me to find some free Roku channels with decent anime selection (with success)! Unfortunately, none have dubbed Cowboy Bebop unfortunately (I suppose I could try subbed although I've always had trouble staying engaged with subbed series when I've tried).
    Yes! Watch DBZ all the way through the Buu saga and then ignore GT and then watch Super. You don't have to finish DBZ to watch Super if you don't like it's outdated look but I still enjoyed it.

I have a friend who's similar to you with subbed anime. He has to pause it every so often to try and grasp what's going on. I prefer subbed for some shows because I don't like the English voice actors.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I used to use crunchy roll a lot for anime. Haven’t used it in a while though.
    Crunchy roll was the only good service for anime but recently Hulu has been buying up the rights to so many anime that I just use Hulu mostly. Netflix is getting there but it's been slow going.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    My son is very much into Anime. He joined the Japan club at school which is apparently a big deal these days. He says most of the club members are not Asian or Asian American. I saw in an article this year that Zion is also into Anime. I’d love to share their enthusiasm for it but I don’t even watch animated American shows.
    Juju (the Steelers wr) is a huge anime fan (Dragonball Super in particular) as are many other young NFL and NBA players. I'm not sure why the sudden resurgence has started the last couple of years but I find it fascinating.

Try watching the Death Note series on Netflix if you get a chance, I know you say you don't even watch American toons but real anime is very different. Death Note is easy to get into and the quirky mystical stuff isn't rampant in it. The only mythical type things in it are the gods of death (not a huge role) and the notebook called the Death Note. Basic premise is the main protagonist finds the Death Note (dropped by a death god) which if you write someones name down in it they will die in 60 seconds. The protagonist vows to kill off all criminals, meanwhile the Japanese version of the FBI is trying to find out how these people keep dying and who's doing it.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

I have a friend who's similar to you with subbed anime. He has to pause it every so often to try and grasp what's going on. I prefer subbed for some shows because I don't like the English voice actors.
    I think the main issue is one of attention. I don't want to have to have my eyes glued to the screen in order not to miss dialog. I realize divided attention is bad watching for any format, but I am who I am at this point and subtitles make it much more problematic. I have heard that some subs are much better because the voice acting is so much less detracting.

Crunchy roll was the only good service for anime but recently Hulu has been buying up the rights to so many anime that I just use Hulu mostly. Netflix is getting there but it's been slow going.
    Does Cruncy Roll have a free service? FWIW, Tubi TV and Sony Crackle (both on Roku) have a solid mix of shows/movies available. Not necessarily an extensive library, but a solid mix of good ones.

Juju (the Steelers wr) is a huge anime fan (Dragonball Super in particular) as are many other young NFL and NBA players. I'm not sure why the sudden resurgence has started the last couple of years but I find it fascinating.
    It seems to me there has been an emergence of "nerd" culture in pop culture generally over the last...10 years or so? It has definitely been interesting to watch, especially as it relates to sports.

Try watching the Death Note series on Netflix if you get a chance, I know you say you don't even watch American toons but real anime is very different. Death Note is easy to get into and the quirky mystical stuff isn't rampant in it. The only mythical type things in it are the gods of death (not a huge role) and the notebook called the Death Note. Basic premise is the main protagonist finds the Death Note (dropped by a death god) which if you write someones name down in it they will die in 60 seconds. The protagonist vows to kill off all criminals, meanwhile the Japanese version of the FBI is trying to find out how these people keep dying and who's doing it.
    I'll second Death Note. I'll give one of the usual caveats that comes with a lot of regular TV shows...give it a few episodes because it takes a moment for the show to really hit its stride although it is good all the way through. Sort of a dark Sherlock Holmes-y vibe told from both perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    My first taste of anime was way back when in the 60's. Tobor the 8th Man and Gigantor took a back seat only to the seven Marvel cartoons that were being aired back then. Later in life I caught bits and pieces of Star Blazers and enjoyed watching that, of course when you have adult commitments and no recording tech it's hard to follow a series.

Toonami got me watching cartoons again and some of my favorite anime movies are, Ninja Scroll, Blood: The Last Vampire, and Wicked City.
    Star Blazers was my absolute favorite!
    Anybody watch the modern remake?

Yes! Watch DBZ all the way through the Buu saga and then ignore GT and then watch Super. You don't have to finish DBZ to watch Super if you don't like it's outdated look but I still enjoyed it.

Cool, I’ll check it out.