Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Great endings!

One thing I learned from this thread: I never stick around for the end of a series.*

*MASH is the notable exception.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I like Pulp Fiction’s ending too.
    The ending of the movie or the chronological ending in the middle?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The ending of the movie or the chronological ending in the middle?
    Both actually, but the ending of the movie was my original thought.

What I get out of this thread is there are precious few TV series with great endings, especially if BSG is being held up as one of the good guys! I do agree with Firefly/Serenity and the Wire being good. The main plotline of The Wire S5 was pretty shaky, but the actual ending was absolutely perfect. In addition to GoT going bad places, I also hated S2 of Westworld and gave up halfway through.

Two ongoing shows that I have high hopes for: Stranger Things (both individual seasons have had great endings IMO) and The Good Place (these writers can do no wrong).

If you count "mini-series" type shows that are telling one story in one season, there's lots of great examples, e.g. The End of the F***ing World, Season 1 of True Detective, Season 2 of American Vandal. But I guess those are really just like movies.

If you count movie series like MCU, then Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have solid endings IMO.

Okay, I’ve never seen GoT and would not understand an explanation of the ending anyway. Looking for one word or phrase from those of you who did as to the quality of the ending.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Okay, I’ve never seen GoT and would not understand an explanation of the ending anyway. Looking for one word or phrase from those of you who did as to the quality of the ending.
    It had the makings of greatness but ultimately they rushed things too much.

All the wrap ups would have been awesome with some tension and build up... Not done in 1 hour
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    It had the makings of greatness but ultimately they rushed things too much.

All the wrap ups would have been awesome with some tension and build up... Not done in 1 hour
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    JasonEvans can do it in about a hundred words. That's sort of his wheelhouse.

Personally? If I had to be held to one word, I would say "inevitable." As a book reader and avid show fan, I agree the last two seasons were subpar, but there was no universe in which the rabid fans would have been satisfied. Probably someone smarter than I could draw a Venn diagram of possible endings and the group it would satisfy, and show that this particular ending was suboptimal. *shrugs*
    I thought it was fine. It didn't give me goosebumps, but it wrapped up most of the dangling participles. I felt the creators were in a lose/lose situation, that yes, they had some part in creating.
    I will read the books when/if the come out, and I will try the prequels/spin-offs or what have you. I enjoy the universe GRR Martin created.
    I am incredibly curious to know Martin's true feelings about reaction to this season. I wonder if there's a level of schadenfreude given the massive success and praise the show has earned over the years. I wonder if it has made him rethink his own endings to the story. I wonder if he is personally upset that people are so strung out by his story.

I am sure we won't know.