Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Great endings!

Orphan Black.

This is the series I never wanted to end.

Tatiana Maslany may be the best actor of her generation.

I’ve never seen anything like this show, and it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    IMO Great endings include:

Burn Notice

Monk

The Americans

Frasier

Worst ending EVER? maybe The Glades? House of Cards?
    To be fair, Glades thought they were getting renewed when they got canceled after filming the last episode. Americans, Monk, and Burn Notice all had great endings.

And my wife and I watched every episode of the Middle, so whoever mentioned that definitely wasn’t alone. Great ending too.

The big thing I'm taking from this thread is that there are a lot of shows I gave up on before they ended, and of the ones I stuck with a lot of them did not pay off well.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The big thing I'm taking from this thread is that there are a lot of shows I gave up on before they ended, and of the ones I stuck with a lot of them did not pay off well.
    In this vein and that of Kdogg's comment upthread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Can I get in early with Game of Thrones as an unsatisfactory ending? I barely recognize some of the characters with one episode left.
    I'll submit my feelings on The Walking Dead, which isn't done yet, but on which I gave up several seasons ago (right around the time of Glenn's deus ex dumpster, IIRC). Would be interested to hear a counterpoint from anyone who's still wasting time with, I mean watching, that series.

Anyone else watch Veep? I haven’t loved this final season as the show has become a caricature of itself and gone way overboard with ridiculousness, but they did make a bold move with the finale showing Selena’s choices and then a 24 year flash forward. Don’t want to spoil it since it’s less than 24 hours old so won’t get into details. I don’t think it falls on either the best or worst list (other than the cheap shot at Duke), but I do like that they took a shot at a true ending vs a finale that just stops the show in place.

Movies: The Sting & Casablanca

TV : Newhart

I'll go back to two of my favorite movies for endings I find memorable.

To Kill a Mockingbird - Scout's final scene.

Bladerunner - Roy Batty's final scene.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    If we're bringing in great movie endings, it's pretty hard to top "Some Like It Hot".
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

It seems to me that by definition, almost every great movie has a great ending.

Except Monty Python’s Holy Grail. And maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But for fun endings, I’ll mention The Usual Suspects.

Did anyone else see the title of this thread and think it was another thread about Robert Kraft? (I might need counseling.)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It seems to me that by definition, almost every great movie has a great ending.

Except Monty Python’s Holy Grail. And maybe 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But for fun endings, I’ll mention The Usual Suspects.
    Oh yeah. Usual Suspects ending is amazing! I like Pulp Fiction’s ending too.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Oh yeah. Usual Suspects ending is amazing! I like Pulp Fiction’s ending too.
    Stop talking about movies... they are simply such a different form of art from a TV series that the comparison is not pertinent. It is like saying, "Which was better, Saturday or the entire year of 2015?"
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Stop talking about movies... they are simply such a different form of art from a TV series that the comparison is not pertinent. It is like saying, "Which was better, Saturday or the entire year of 2015?"
    Well, if you did last Saturday like I did last Saturday, you would not even posit such a silly question.

(But agreed, that was my point -- if it doesn't have a good ending, it's not generally considered to be a good movie. It is a singular thing).

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderDevil View Post
    I think there is plenty of debate about Lost. Most of Season 3 was bad. Bad is probably an understatement. From the time the first flash forward happened (not sure of the episode, but it ends with Jack saying "we have to go back") to the end of the show was just amazing.
    FIFY.

"Through the Looking Glass," the final episode of season 3 in which we discover Jack is in a flashforward an in which Charlie dies after writing "Not Penny's Boat" on his hand, is amazing in terms of giving us big moments. It almost redeems the meandering and stupid rest of season 3. But, the show goes rapidly downhill from there. Season 4 gives us the turn of Ben being a bad guy leader of the others to being a good guy. It also gives us the insane frozen donkey wheel. Season 5 introduces the really bad time travel stuff and the nuclear bomb, which Juliet blows up in the season finale. Season 6 is just all kinds of awful with purgatory and Locke becoming the smoke monster and so on.

-Jason "When you start a mysterious story without any real idea what the answers to the mystery are, things are probably not going to end well" Evans
    Jason, for a critic you seem awfully confident here that yours is the only POV.

I'm with RaiderDevil--season 3 of Lost was the nadir, but seasons 4 and 5 were great. Loved seeing Sawyer and Ben grow and change. Loved getting more from folks like Desmond and Juliette. It got a little wonky for my taste in season 6, but as far as finale's go, opting for pure-saccharine character redemption over cold, calculated scientific explanation is not a bad way to go. I'll agree that Lost's finale isn't the best, but IMO it isn't the worst.

And I don't know how you can discount later seasons when the show produced something as sheer brilliant as The Constant.

I don’t know which was better, but Saturday and the year 2015 both ended the same way: the clock struck midnight.

My favorite TV endings were Supernatural season 5 (“Swan Song”) and Parks and Recreation season 6 (the Unity Concert). Unfortunately, neither show actually ended at that point.

and here I thought this thread was about Robert Kraft. (I never doubted he could fund some lawyers who could extricate himself from his embarrassing Florida adventure).

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Did anyone else see the title of this thread and think it was another thread about Robert Kraft? (I might need counseling.)
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and here I thought this thread was about Robert Kraft. (I never doubted he could fund some lawyers who could extricate himself from his embarrassing Florida adventure).
    As a person recovering from telling one tired Rick Pitino joke too many, consider group therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I'll agree that Lost's finale isn't the best, but IMO it isn't the worst.
    It's not so much that the finale was bad as an individual episode – I actually enjoyed it and the whole take on the afterlife. It's more that the last season revealed that they clearly started the show without having ANY idea of how the mysteries would be resolved or what the island was. The one example that I remember that made this very explicitly obvious was the skeletons (Jack states that the mystery skeletons are a few decades old in Season 1, they're later revealed to be the corpses of characters that died millenia ago... why do I remember this?).

What did you think of Veep?

Who's watched it yet?

Some breathtaking stand and cheer bad language and a bit whipped around but overall, not too bad.

JLD sheer genius. She is solid platinum.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Mash ,parenthood and my favorite cheers.