Page 99 of 139 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2763
    Speaking of rumors, there is something going on this weekend at Duke regarding the Class of 2023. Adam Rowe of The Devil's Den has posted an article (VIP) with an intriguing headline. In short, most of the Class of 2023 commits will be in Durham this weekend for an official visit. Hopefully it should become public as to which players will be on campus and which one won't - it was a scheduling thing, nothing more.

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/stat...13266232578048

I just love this idea, by the way. It's great to get most or all of the committed players together for a visit, a chance to bond in person, maybe practice a little. This is very cool and something I hope becomes a tradition of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Speaking of rumors, there is something going on this weekend at Duke regarding the Class of 2023. Adam Rowe of The Devil's Den has posted an article (VIP) with an intriguing headline. In short, most of the Class of 2023 commits will be in Durham this weekend for an official visit. Hopefully it should become public as to which players will be on campus and which one won't - it was a scheduling thing, nothing more.

I just love this idea, by the way. It's great to get most or all of the committed players together for a visit, a chance to bond in person, maybe practice a little. This is very cool and something I hope becomes a tradition of sorts.
    I love this. Clemson football - a similarly culture-first program - has been doing these sorts of things for a while. Different context obviously but each summer they bring as many of their commits in for a big social weekend. They strategically add a handful of uncommitted recruits as well. So it doubles as advanced team building *and* a powerful recruitment tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kyle wanting to spend time at his dream school and feeling he can work on things better at Duke than in a NBA setting... as well as Kyle not being in any big rush to move from college life to the full adult world.
    Wow - If this is true, Kyle is quickly going to be a fan favorite. Excited to see him out there in a way I wasn't before.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

For those who don't read the front page

A bit of a writeup on TJ, with some nice highlights: https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...an-stewart-acc

Hopefully the video puts to bed ANY suggestion that he might play the 5 for us
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I wonder if in the near future businesses are going to continue giving millions and millions of dollars to freshmen entering college without even having much name recognition. I’m sure they’re going to conduct studies to try and determine how much it actually paid off to have these relatively unknown athletes representing them.

I’m guessing that the results will show that it was not money particularly well spent from a bottom-line business perspective.
    This is a problem for Duke. Long term it won't be great for the bottom line to funnel money to kids. The big deals at other schools come from rich "local" alums. Think guys that own dealerships or a bunch of local franchises or a big local law firm or dental clinic. They aren't really expecting a financial return on their money. They are basically paying players to come to their school. Long term even these guys will fall out.

How often will rich alums give 100s of Ks, or more, and NOT WIN? Let some rich guy give 200k to a guy only to have that player have a mediocre year and the team not win the conf or conf tourney and flame out in the second round of the NCAAT? He'll get fed up with that real quick.

To say nothing of his family and heirs getting fed up with the squandering of his estate with no return.

Quick update on this: Travis Branham of 247Sports reported in a series of tweets that Mackenzie Mgbako had to reschedule and will visit Duke later this year. It will be just Caleb Foster, Jared McCain, and TJ Power.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quick update on this: Travis Branham of 247Sports reported in a series of tweets that Mackenzie Mgbako had to reschedule and will visit Duke later this year. It will be just Caleb Foster, Jared McCain, and TJ Power.
    PANIC! IT'S OVER!

Narrator: It wasn't over. It wasn't anything.

What about Sean Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    What about Sean Stewart?
    Also not available. It would have been great to get all 5 of them on campus. C'est la vie.

Both Mgbako and Stewart can take an official visit to Duke this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at one of the big events, like Countdown to Craziness or maybe the game against UNC. If I could arrange a free trip to Duke, that's what I would do.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Also not available. It would have been great to get all 5 of them on campus. C'est la vie.

Both Mgbako and Stewart can take an official visit to Duke this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see them at one of the big events, like Countdown to Craziness or maybe the game against UNC. If I could arrange a free trip to Duke, that's what I would do.
    Can they get a "recruitment visit" after they commit (and sign making it official?) At that point, they're not being recruited. (I don't know the answer, asking for anybody that does.)

I always assumed that visits after signing were on the player's dime, not the university (understanding that now NIL can pay for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Can they get a "recruitment visit" after they commit (and sign making it official?) At that point, they're not being recruited. (I don't know the answer, asking for anybody that does.)

I always assumed that visits after signing were on the player's dime, not the university (understanding that now NIL can pay for it.)
    Players are allowed to make official visits (where the school pays for the trip) after they commit. It happens quite a lot. Technically, none of the Class of 2023 players have signed their National Letter of Intent (NLI). The early signing period is in November, I believe. I'm not sure it matters if you have signed your NLI for a school to provide an official visit.

A number of Duke alum are in Durham this weekend, too, including Pelicans GM Trajan Langdon and a trio of Knicks in RJ Barrett, Cam Reddish, and Trevor Keels. From Duke's twitter account:

Jared McCain signed a big new NIL deal and is producing commercials along with Philadelphia Eagles QB Jalen Hurts.

https://news.scorebooklive.com/natio...ching-nil-deal

And, more good news, at least according to the article. McCain is described as being 6'4".

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Jared McCain signed a big new NIL deal and is producing commercials along with Philadelphia Eagles QB Jalen Hurts.

https://news.scorebooklive.com/natio...ching-nil-deal

And, more good news, at least according to the article. McCain is described as being 6'4".
    McCain's career trajectory is going to be very interesting. He was previously reported to be closer to 6'2'', which would make him on the shorter side for even NBA point guards. That was a big reason why many (including me) viewed him as a multi-year guy. If he's closer to 6'4'' and can showcase the playmaking abilities he showcased over the summer, combined with his plus shooting that could be an interesting NBA combo guard prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    McCain's career trajectory is going to be very interesting. He was previously reported to be closer to 6'2'', which would make him on the shorter side for even NBA point guards. That was a big reason why many (including me) viewed him as a multi-year guy. If he's closer to 6'4'' and can showcase the playmaking abilities he showcased over the summer, combined with his plus shooting that could be an interesting NBA combo guard prospect.
    With Jared's marketing savvy, he is waiting to get an endorsement deal from a cinder block manufacturer before making public his verified current height.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Depends on his shooting from deep. Not sure anyone is going to out- dance him.

I remember when Josh Hairston said "I'm now up to 6-9"...

Andrej Stojakovic has officially eliminated Duke, as he trimmed his list from 6 to 4 and we are no longer on it.

link

stoj.jpg

ha, we were "eliminated."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Andrej Stojakovic has officially eliminated Duke, as he trimmed his list from 6 to 4 and we are no longer on it.

link

stoj.jpg
    Isn't he Class of 2023?

Seemed like Stojakovic wanted a Duke offer more than Duke wanted to get actively involved here. He also cut Virginia. I guess he didn't want to go out east.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He was, at best, a deep backup plan to TJ Power. I don't think he ever came all that close to getting an offer from Duke.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?