Page 118 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2763
    Having just praised Stewart’s D, he just fouled Buzelis, for a 4-pt play. Soft foul, but still a bad D mistake.

ETA — Montverde blew it, so no more TV Fri/Sat for Flagg and Stewart. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Having just praised Stewart’s D, he just fouled Buzelis, for a 4-pt play. Soft foul, but still a bad D mistake.

ETA — Montverde blew it, so no more TV Fri/Sat for Flagg and Stewart. Bummer.
    What a collapse! That 4-point play was a joke but Sunset got super hot while Montverde looked confused.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    What a collapse! That 4-point play was a joke but Sunset got super hot while Montverde looked confused.
    Definitely a game of runs in the last quarter. When Montverde went up by 7-8, I thought they had it, but as you say, collapse. I’m disappointed not to get to see Stewart, Flagg, and McNeeley tomorrow.

As this is the ‘23 recruiting thread, some repeat comments on Stewart. He’s tall and strong enough to play the 5. And, good news, he’s also comfortable guarding out on the perimeter. Imo, he’s ready to contribute on D, all over the court. On O, he can obviously dunk with power. And he will take a 12’ jumper.

AGDukesky (and others?), you agree with me here, or not? Happy to hear your analysis.

Definitely a game of runs in the last quarter. When Montverde went up by 7-8, I thought they had it, but as you say, collapse. I’m disappointed not to get to see Stewart, Flagg, and McNeeley tomorrow.

As this is the ‘23 recruiting thread, some repeat comments on Stewart. He’s tall and strong enough to play the 5. And, good news, he’s also comfortable guarding out on the perimeter. Imo, he’s ready to contribute on D, all over the court. On O, he can obviously dunk with power. And he will take a 12’ jumper.

AGDukesky (and others?), you agree with me here, or not? Happy to hear your analysis.
    It’s funny, I just posted the exact opposite about Stewart playing the 5- I just don’t see it as the ideal at all. He seemed only 6’8 and, while built fine, I just don’t see him able to battle ACC centers on either end.

I wasn't expecting it to be so easy -- by comparison, finding any helpful info for the McDonald's games Tuesday was impossible -- but Jonathan Givony just tweeted the box score for the Sunrise-Montverde game in the Geico Nationals.

geicoboxscore.jpg

Click the above link for a more readable image. Sean Stewart of Montverde had 4 points, 9 rebounds, and 1 steal in 23 minutes of action. A far bigger disappointment, at least to me, was Sunrise player Layden Blocker, who failed to live up to his name.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I wasn't expecting it to be so easy -- by comparison, finding any helpful info for the McDonald's games Tuesday was impossible -- but Jonathan Givony just tweeted the box score for the Sunrise-Montverde game in the Geico Nationals.

geicoboxscore.jpg

Click the above link for a more readable image. Sean Stewart of Montverde had 4 points, 9 rebounds, and 1 steal in 23 minutes of action. A far bigger disappointment, at least to me, was Sunrise player Layden Blocker, who failed to live up to his name.
    It is interesting to see talk of Stewart starting at C for Duke next year when he doesn't even start for his high school team. Granted, there are a lot of good players on that team. It gives me pause that he would see big minutes next season.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    It is interesting to see talk of Stewart starting at C for Duke next year when he doesn't even start for his high school team. Granted, there are a lot of good players on that team. It gives me pause that he would see big minutes next season.
    Eh, I wouldn’t read anything at all into the fact that Stewart comes off the bench. For one thing, Montverde is loaded with 5-star PFs: McNeeley, Flagg, Queen, and Evans are all 6’7”-6’9” elite recruits. It is sort of like saying it would be hard to believe Karl Towns was ready to start in the NBA after his freshman year because he came off the bench for UK. For another, Stewart still starts a fair amount for Montverde, and plays starter minutes when he comes off the bench.

Now, it may also be true that Stewart plays a smaller role next year than would be typical of a top-10ish recruit. But I don’t think we can glean that from his playing time in high school on a perennially loaded Montverde roster.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Has there actually been talk, well, much talk, about Stewart starting at the 5 next season? I’m among those who think we do not need to hit the portal for a 5, that Reeves, Young, and Stewart will do well enough. I could imagine any of those 3 starting, and a change in the starter as the season progresses.

True enough, Stewart did not start for Montverde, but I think he usually finished their games. Announcers in today’s GEICO Nationals game said Stewart was named HS 6th-Man Player of the Year. Big deal? Perhaps not, but I think Stewart can play some at the 5. I also think one of his strengths is his D away from the basket; that is, his D on opposing 4s and even 3s.

Has there actually been talk, well, much talk, about Stewart starting at the 5 next season? I’m among those who think we do not need to hit the portal for a 5, that Reeves, Young, and Stewart will do well enough. I could imagine any of those 3 starting, and a change in the starter as the season progresses.

True enough, Stewart did not start for Montverde, but I think he usually finished their games. Announcers in today’s GEICO Nationals game said Stewart was named HS 6th-Man Player of the Year. Big deal? Perhaps not, but I think Stewart can play some at the 5. I also think one of his strengths is his D away from the basket; that is, his D on opposing 4s and even 3s.
    I want the HS #1 Player of the year.

I have no idea how good these freshmen are going to be. I thought Trevor Keels and DJ Steward would be great outside shooters, but I was disappointed.

GoDuke!

Nike Hoop Summit (men)

On NBA TV tomorrow night (Sat 4/8), 10 EDT. Stewart and McCain on US team, Mgbako on World team.

On NBA TV tomorrow night (Sat 4/8), 10 EDT. Stewart and McCain on US team, Mgbako on World team.
    USA Basketball has a U.S. roster with jersey numbers and brief bios. Jared McCain (bio) will wear #7, and Sean Stewart (bio) will wear #13.

Some scout tweeted the world roster with measurements and (probably) jersey numbers. Mackenzie Mgbako should be wearing #8. He is 6-foot-8.5 tall, 215 pounds, with a 6-foot-10 wingspan and 8-foot-10 standing reach. His hands are 9.25 inches wide and 8.5 inches long.

Jonathan Givony of Draft Express and ESPN has been tweeting some very short practice videos. Here is one of McCain and Stewart in their USA jerseys.

Pro Insight has a Q&A video series with prospects of recent years. This YouTube playlist includes Paolo Banchero, Mark Mitchell, and even Cameron Boozer, but for purposes of this thread, here are links for Jared McCain, Sean Stewart, and Mackenzie Mgbako.

Nike Hoop Summit (men)

This is easily the best I’ve seen from Mgbako, who has 13 points, lot of them smooth FTs, some rebounds at halftime for World team. He seemed passive in McD game, but he’s constantly moving tonight.

McCain playing with more dominant players on US team, but he belongs. Don’t think Stewart’s played as much.

Having the announcers talk very positively about Rachel Baker and her role at Duke is big PR win for the school(Boozer is an announcer, but I don't believe he initially brought up Baker).

This is easily the best I’ve seen from Mgbako, who has 13 points, lot of them smooth FTs, some rebounds at halftime for World team. He seemed passive in McD game, but he’s constantly moving tonight.

McCain playing with more dominant players on US team, but he belongs. Don’t think Stewart’s played as much.
    Mgbako is very, very good. He’s really able to create space with the dribble and knock down contested shots from range. Scheyer will be running plays for this kid next season.

McCain has mostly deferred to the more ball dominant guards. He’s had some turnover issues in this as well. Still, he’s strong and looks quick with the ball.

My opinion of Stewart is the same after watching him here so far. He’s obviously athletic and strong and attacks the boards using that bounce. But he’s very raw and not particularly skilled on offense. He’s had some defensive lapses too, and there is D in this game. If by some miracle we get Kyle back I don’t see Stewart getting many minutes in ACC play. Still, I like the prospect of seeing this kid play multiple seasons in Durham.

HoopsHype writer Sam Yip has the box score.

nikehoopsummitmen.jpg

Mackenzie Mgbako started for Team World, played 30 minutes, and had a game high 22 points (6-of-14 FG, 8-of-10 FT), along with 8 rebounds and 1 assist.

Sean Stewart got the start for Team USA but saw only 9 minutes of action. He had 2 points (1-of-4 FG) and 4 rebounds.

Jared McCain played 21 minutes off the bench for Team USA. He had 10 points (5-of-9 FG, 0-of-2 FT), 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and 1 block.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Having the announcers talk very positively about Rachel Baker and her role at Duke is big PR win for the school(Boozer is an announcer, but I don't believe he initially brought up Baker).
    I think you are correct. Angel Gray (analyst) and Chris Miles (play-by-play) brought up Rachel Baker, and had Carlos Boozer chime in.

Here are game highlights of the Nike Hoop Summit men's game.

I saw the game, but this video is worth a watch. By editing out the sloppiness expected from an exhibition game, the action looks pretty good. For reference, Mackenzie Mgbako wore World jersey #8, while Jared McCain was in USA #7 and Sean Stewart was in USA #13.

Aside from the 3 Duke-bound players, the video also features future ACC players Michael Nwoko (World #11, headed to Miami) and Blake Buchanan (USA #10, going to Virginia). I didn't notice Taylor Bol Bowen (World #7, going to Florida State), and the box score said he was scoreless in 4 minutes.

Unlike many All-star games, teams play to win at the Hoops Summit and the coaches are far less concerned with equitable playing time. So, it really means something to me that Mac played 30+ minutes for the World team. The coaches clearly saw him as one of their top 2 or 3 players (and perhaps their best). His ability to draw fouls is huge and could be something Duke counts upon next season when in a position where we need to get a bucket.

I like that McCain scored 10 points without even attempting a 3. He clearly has amazing range but showed that if you play him too much for the outside bomb, he will blow past you and find other ways to score. That is something that has really developed in his game in the past 6 months that wasn't really there in nearly the same way when he committed to Duke.

Stewart getting the start is nice, but only playing 9 minutes is not. Raw is the watchword on him. An amazing athlete who probably succeeds at doing athlete things (rebounding, dunking, shot blocking) but is gonna struggle on the more skill-oriented parts of basketball. There's a reason most folks expect him to be a multi-year guy despite his lofty (top 10ish) ranking in the class.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Iverson Classic game

We may get one more chance to see 2023 Duke recruits. Haven't found TV/streaming info yet, but 4 Duke recruits will play in the Iverson Classic game, Sat 4/29, 7 EDT.

In addition to Mgbako and Stewart, Foster and Power are to play.

https://www.on3.com/news/2023-iverso...ster-revealed/

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Unlike many All-star games, teams play to win at the Hoops Summit and the coaches are far less concerned with equitable playing time. So, it really means something to me that Mac played 30+ minutes for the World team. The coaches clearly saw him as one of their top 2 or 3 players (and perhaps their best). His ability to draw fouls is huge and could be something Duke counts upon next season when in a position where we need to get a bucket.

I like that McCain scored 10 points without even attempting a 3. He clearly has amazing range but showed that if you play him too much for the outside bomb, he will blow past you and find other ways to score. That is something that has really developed in his game in the past 6 months that wasn't really there in nearly the same way when he committed to Duke.

Stewart getting the start is nice, but only playing 9 minutes is not. Raw is the watchword on him. An amazing athlete who probably succeeds at doing athlete things (rebounding, dunking, shot blocking) but is gonna struggle on the more skill-oriented parts of basketball. There's a reason most folks expect him to be a multi-year guy despite his lofty (top 10ish) ranking in the class.
    MgBako is a pro- great range on his jumper and fluid. He and Mitchell will be tough to handle and should be both good defenders. McCain has a great feel for the game. He and Proctor will be a problem for other teams. This team should be able to score and will have depth assuming Powers is able to contribute and Schutt makes a big step. The big unknown is interior D. Stewart will be a project but I suspect he will improve rapidly. A lot depends on Reeves development this summer. Keeping Flip will make this a very good to excellent team. We will know more in a week.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

While I couldn’t watch the game thanks to Canada, I must say I’m super encouraged by the highlights, box score, and the reports from you all. Mgbako is the freshman that will most influence our team’s ceiling last year… if he plays like a lottery-level OAD that adds a whole extra level to this squad’s ceiling. I have been pessimistic this would happen based on how the team seems to be approaching the portal, but this performance gives me some hope there.

I also think we should temper our Sean Stewart expectations for this year. I’m betting he’ll have a game or two where he makes a big impact off the bench, but I don’t think we can rely on him to be an impact guy in year 1. That said, his ceiling is very high and I think we’re going to enjoy watching him develop over time. The fact that we aren’t prioritizing any traditional bigs in 2024 right now seems to indicate that the staff has high hopes for his longer term impact.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!