Page 11 of 139 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Doesn’t seem like Jackson is coming to Duke. All the buzz for him seems UNC’s way. But Bowen is a top-25 recruit, so not a terrible fallback. We are also recruiting Bowen’s teammate Buzelis, who is another 6’9” guy but with guard skills.
    Andrew Slater and others have reported that Jackson is taking an official visit to Duke later this month, 1/21-22. Everyone thought Walker Kessler was Duke bound until he visited Chapel Hill. Perhaps Jackson will be the inverse, a player that commits to Duke after everyone assumed he was going to UNC.

***** G.G. Jackson’23 @GregJ2023 of @RidgeViewHoops will take an official visit to Duke 1/21-22. He’ll likely take an official to UVA. hearing more from Auburn of late. UNC, S.Carolina, NC State, Wake Forest, Georgetown all involved. Would like to decide before the summer Eyes

Interesting article from Rob Cassidy of Rivals discussing players that are poised to rise in the rankings in the classes of '22 and '23. The list includes both GG Jackson (#10 in latest Rivals Top150) and Matas Buzelis (#27). The Rivals team hinting that both are in consideration for the top 10 with Jackson possibly challenging DJ Wagner for the top spot.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...n-the-rankings

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Interesting article from Rob Cassidy of Rivals discussing players that are poised to rise in the rankings in the classes of '22 and '23. The list includes both GG Jackson (#10 in latest Rivals Top150) and Matas Buzelis (#27). The Rivals team hinting that both are in consideration for the top 10 with Jackson possibly challenging DJ Wagner for the top spot.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...n-the-rankings
    Also talks about Filipowski and Whitehead.

I cannot see a world where both Lively and Filipowski do not start next year. Both look to be top 5 recruits (especially with Sharpe out of the rankings).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Also talks about Filipowski and Whitehead.

I cannot see a world where both Lively and Filipowski do not start next year. Both look to be top 5 recruits (especially with Sharpe out of the rankings).
    It's not out of the world of possibility that Duke starts Jeremy Roach and 4 freshmen next season.

It's not out of the world of possibility that Duke starts Jeremy Roach and 4 freshmen next season.
    Possibly. I think the 3-5 are most certainly freshman. Outside of Schutt, no one is ideal for the 2.

I'd love to see a 3pt shooting transfer come in and start at the 2 with Roach, Whitehead, Filipowski, and Lively. Mitchell, Schutt, and Blakes provide depth.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Possibly. I think the 3-5 are most certainly freshman. Outside of Schutt, no one is ideal for the 2.

I'd love to see a 3pt shooting transfer come in and start at the 2 with Roach, Whitehead, Filipowski, and Lively. Mitchell, Schutt, and Blakes provide depth.
    I agree here. I feel like we don't have an ideal group to start four freshmen next year. But I think we'll VERY likely start 3. And hopefully we add an impact transfer as a guard/wing - one who can defend, handle the ball, and shoot.

I agree here. I feel like we don't have an ideal group to start four freshmen next year. But I think we'll VERY likely start 3. And hopefully we add an impact transfer as a guard/wing - one who can defend, handle the ball, and shoot.
    I think it's all but guaranteed. Whitehead is starting. Lively is starting. Filipowski is continuing to play great and has opportunity to finish as a top 5 ranked player. And I don't think top 5 players don't start in any program.

The only thing preventing 3 starting freshman is major injuries (think Harry Giles), an unexpected returning big (Mark Williams wants to graduate a la Jay Williams), or Scheyer doing something outside the college basketball playbook.

But man, oh man, do I want a 2 who can shoot 3s. Defense and playmaking are nice to haves, not need to haves.

Not to "pik nits" but Duke will almost HAVE TO start 3 freshman. Here are the upperclassmen that are most likely to be back.

Roach
    Blakes

Savarino
    Worthington
    Borden
    Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Not to "pik nits" but Duke will almost HAVE TO start 3 freshman. Here are the upperclassmen that are most likely to be back.

Roach
    Blakes

Savarino
    Worthington
    Borden
    Hubbard
    Unless there is a transfer in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

Roach
    Blakes

Savarino
    Worthington
    Borden
    Hubbard
    "Almost have to" and "VERY likely" are basically saying the same things, right? I think we are in agreement. Unless we add two transfer starters (or Baker chooses to return and surprisingly steps up to become a starter), we'll start at least 3 freshmen. I'm hopeful we add two transfers, with at least one being a starter.

But yes, unless something crazy happens, Lively, Filipowski, and Whitehead are almost guaranteed to start.

"Almost have to" and "VERY likely" are basically saying the same things, right? I think we are in agreement. Unless we add two transfer starters (or Baker chooses to return and surprisingly steps up to become a starter), we'll start at least 3 freshmen. I'm hopeful we add two transfers, with at least one being a starter.

But yes, unless something crazy happens, Lively, Filipowski, and Whitehead are almost guaranteed to start.
    1. I just can't see Baker starting next year. His defense is so poor and he's non-3pt stats aren't good (46% from 2 this year. Career 40% from 2). If Baker does start, our ceiling just isn't that high.

2. I'd settle for one transfer. Can't be too greedy. But I do want that transfer to start and be somewhat elite (like the top scorer at a solid mid-major or the second banana at a Power 6 team). And I want that starter to be an elite 3pt shooter. I think that 2nd transfer would add depth, but we already have Mitchell (or Filipowski if Mitchell starts), Schutt, and Blakes. For a Coach K disciple like Scheyer, 8 is more than enough.

If a player redshirted and this is their fourth year playing (so their fifth year in college) do they have another year now due to the bonus Covid year?

Because I need a life, I was just doing some googling to try to find players who might fit in well next year and saw a few who did this.

I believe we are in agreement. I do need to give my reasoning...

If Wendell, Mark, Trevor and AJ perform well enough to be drafted we will all be very happy on this board since Duke will go very deep in the post season.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    If a player redshirted and this is their fourth year playing (so their fifth year in college) do they have another year now due to the bonus Covid year?

Because I need a life, I was just doing some googling to try to find players who might fit in well next year and saw a few who did this.
    Yup. Essentially last year was a "free year" and didn't count towards anyone's eligibility. So if you redshirted, you get two free years, one for the redshirt and one for COVID. So we'll be seeing sixth year players for the next couple years.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

Yes, that is essentially the Charlie Moore situation - a 6th-year senior. Everyone has the option of coming back for a fifth actual season (and sixth year in college).

Yes, that is essentially the Charlie Moore situation - a 6th-year senior. Everyone has the option of coming back for a fifth actual season (and sixth year in college).
    Or if you are Jalen Coleman-Lands, presently of Kansas, a 7th year. He redshirted after transferring from Illinois to DePaul and then got a medical redshirt the following season, transferred to Iowa State the year after that and then against last summer transferred to Kansas.

He was a freshman the same year as Brandon Ingram. He is two months younger than Tyus Jones and is playing college basketball still. Amazing.

Or if you are Jalen Coleman-Lands, presently of Kansas, a 7th year. He redshirted after transferring from Illinois to DePaul and then got a medical redshirt the following season, transferred to Iowa State the year after that and then against last summer transferred to Kansas.

He was a freshman the same year as Brandon Ingram. He is two months younger than Tyus Jones and is playing college basketball still. Amazing.
    Is he working on a Ph.D., yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72e3fjKgV9Q

Careful about the last few seconds if opening in your office.

Just an idle thought. Would Patrick Baldwin consider the Transfer Portal and attend Duke for his sophomore season ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Just an idle thought. Would Patrick Baldwin consider the Transfer Portal and attend Duke for his sophomore season ?
    Is he not going pro for some reason?