Page 105 of 139 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2763
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yes, though he wasn't shooting well on 2s before the injury (just 42.5%), and was at 2-3 on 2s in the Wake game after the injury. That number needs to be higher too.

He's definitely been far worse on 2s the last 2 games (0%, 0-11). But given that the injury was a month ago and he appeared fine in the Wake game, I'm not sure that I'd blame it on injuries at this point.
    I think it’s lingering and something he may be dealing with for much of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I think it’s lingering and something he may be dealing with for much of the season.
    Maybe, but again he didn't appear to struggle with his 2s in the Wake game, which was 2 weeks after the injury. And he's still looked plenty quick and shifty like usual. So I'm not sure that his 0-11 the past two games are really due to injury. It's possible, but I just don't know.

Maybe, but again he didn't appear to struggle with his 2s in the Wake game, which was 2 weeks after the injury. And he's still looked plenty quick and shifty like usual. So I'm not sure that his 0-11 the past two games are really due to injury. It's possible, but I just don't know.
    I don’t think he’s getting the same explosion.

I'm very concerned about JR's shooting and possible lingering injury, but what I'm most concerned about is his leadership as captain. Maybe I've just been too pissed off at the team's overall performance to notice, but I don't even see him talking much to teammates. As K always emphasized, you have to talk on the court. During live possessions and during dead balls, you have to talk. And as a captain leader, I'd prefer to see you talking a whole lot and/or yelling at times. JR has had a blank stare on his face for several games. This includes game action and when the camera shows him on the bench and/or during timeouts. No talking, and not even any positive body language that I've noticed. This concerns me even more than injuries or shooting. What the heck is going on?

So, 2023 men's basketball recruiting...

Quote Originally Posted by kshepinthehouse View Post
    I don’t think he’s getting the same explosion.
    I don't see that at all.

Actually, my estimates were incorrect. I had thought he got hurt in the Iowa game, but forgot that he got hurt in the Purdue game.

Since the Purdue game, he went 10-24 on 2s over the next 4 games he played, or 41.7%. So basically right in line with his season averages. That included a 22 point game against Iowa.

And then, about 5-5.5 weeks later, he had two awful games.

I'm more inclined to believe that these were not related to the toe given that he was basically at the same level of production over the subsequent 4 games, and that something else was driving these two awful performances.

Again, it could be the toe. But it seems like he was playing fine despite the toe for 4 games, and even had a ton of rest for the toe before these two games. So it feels like something else is going on.

I don't see that at all.

Actually, my estimates were incorrect. I had thought he got hurt in the Iowa game, but forgot that he got hurt in the Purdue game.

Since the Purdue game, he went 10-24 on 2s over the next 4 games he played, or 41.7%. So basically right in line with his season averages. That included a 22 point game against Iowa.

And then, about 5-5.5 weeks later, he had two awful games.

I'm more inclined to believe that these were not related to the toe given that he was basically at the same level of production over the subsequent 4 games, and that something else was driving these two awful performances.

Again, it could be the toe. But it seems like he was playing fine despite the toe for 4 games, and even had a ton of rest for the toe before these two games. So it feels like something else is going on.
    But he has been visibly hobbled on the court several times and also took a game off. I suspect the toe keeps bothering him in practice and some days it is worse than others- but this is a guess. If not the toe- then Duke may have bigger issues. Both Roach and Proctor are not playing at a high enough level to win ACC games against decent opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    But he has been visibly hobbled on the court several times and also took a game off. I suspect the toe keeps bothering him in practice and some days it is worse than others- but this is a guess. If not the toe- then Duke may have bigger issues. Both Roach and Proctor are not playing at a high enough level to win ACC games against decent opponents.
    Honestly, I'd feel better if it is NOT the toe than I would if it IS the toe. We're talking about two awful games here, more than 5 weeks after the original injury and 1.5 weeks after his last game. If he's still bothered by the toe now, I don't see any reason to think he can get healthy without sitting out several weeks to let it heal.

If on the other hand, these two games (and it really is just two games; his shooting in the 4 post-injury games prior to this past week were right in line with his norm this season) were due to something different, then that could potentially be fixed. Or if it was just two bad games, then there would be nothing to fix.

Honestly, I'd feel better if it is NOT the toe than I would if it IS the toe. We're talking about two awful games here, more than 5 weeks after the original injury and 1.5 weeks after his last game. If he's still bothered by the toe now, I don't see any reason to think he can get healthy without sitting out several weeks to let it heal.
    The toe is still a problem.
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/.amp...roach-percenth

Whether it’s the only problem, who knows. But he’s not 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

If the toe is the problem, then that is a huge problem. Because there is no reason to assume it's going to get better while playing. And his play has gotten worse the longer it has been since the injury occurred, from playing reasonably to very well up through the Iowa game, to playing okay against Wake, to playing awful the last two games.

The schedule the rest of the way is unforgiving in its lack of rest days.

Can't open the link
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Can't open the link
    Me either, seems like there was an extra character at the end...Here's it fixed (and taken out of forced mobile view):
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...-roach-percent

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Me either, seems like there was an extra character at the end...Here's it fixed (and taken out of forced mobile view):
    https://www.si.com/college/duke/bask...-roach-percent
    Thank you. Posting links from my phone is beyond my meager capabilities.

Thank you. Posting links from my phone is beyond my meager capabilities.
    No worries. The bulletin board mobile platform isn't always very friendly with it for some reason. I sometimes change to "Blue" view when adding a link.

ESPN has updated their rankings for the Class of 2023. There was some shuffling around with one notable player taking a bit of a fall in their rankings. I'm not quite sure where they were in the last update, but it seems that Power and McCain have risen, Mgbako and Stewart have fallen down slightly, and Foster has been moved way down.

8. Mackenzie Mgbako
    12. Jared McCain
    16. Sean Stewart
    25. TJ Power
    31. Caleb Foster

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    ESPN has updated their rankings for the Class of 2023. There was some shuffling around with one notable player taking a bit of a fall in their rankings. I'm not quite sure where they were in the last update, but it seems that Power and McCain have risen, Mgbako and Stewart have fallen down slightly, and Foster has been moved way down.

8. Mackenzie Mgbako
    12. Jared McCain
    16. Sean Stewart
    25. TJ Power
    31. Caleb Foster
    Any idea what the reasoning behind his fall is?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

8. Mackenzie Mgbako
    12. Jared McCain
    16. Sean Stewart
    25. TJ Power
    31. Caleb Foster
    Just for discussion purposes, I think 247 still has all 5 guys within their top 20.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Any idea what the reasoning behind his fall is?
    FWIW, the various sites have been unusually inconsistent with the Top 10 of the 2023 class. Back in the summer, I believe 247 had an article outlining that this was an unusual year where any of five players, including Mgbako, could have a claim to the No. 1 spot. Mgbako has also been playing quite well of late, including showcasing a nice outside shot (https://twitter.com/TheCircuitAlex/s...ckJtUs0cOY9F7Q), so I wouldn't be worried about him.

Foster is a bit more surprising. I haven't seen anything indicating he's been struggling lately in any way, but following recruiting without breaking the bank is challenging
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by bshrader View Post
    Just for discussion purposes, I think 247 still has all 5 guys within their top 20.
    247 Composite Rankings - sorta like RSCI, this is a compilation of what a bunch of recruiting folks think
    Mgbako - 7
    Stewart - 13
    McCain - 15
    Foster - 17
    Power - 20

247 rankings - this is what just the 247 rankings say
    Mgbako - 7
    Stewart - 12
    McCain - 26
    Foster - 19
    Power - 27

I would say not to fret too much over a kid moving up or down a little bit. Sometimes it can be the function of a recruiting guru watching one good or bad game or even just someone else playing well and your kid getting moved down because someone else moved up. All of these guys are in the range where they could be automatic starters from day one at Duke or could be rotation pieces who come along a little more slowly (except Mgbako, who would appear to be a lock to be a significant starter from day one).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    247 Composite Rankings - sorta like RSCI, this is a compilation of what a bunch of recruiting folks think
    Mgbako - 7
    Stewart - 13
    McCain - 15
    Foster - 17
    Power - 20

247 rankings - this is what just the 247 rankings say
    Mgbako - 7
    Stewart - 12
    McCain - 26
    Foster - 19
    Power - 27

I would say not to fret too much over a kid moving up or down a little bit. Sometimes it can be the function of a recruiting guru watching one good or bad game or even just someone else playing well and your kid getting moved down because someone else moved up. All of these guys are in the range where they could be automatic starters from day one at Duke or could be rotation pieces who come along a little more slowly (except Mgbako, who would appear to be a lock to be a significant starter from day one).
    What the rankings do illustrate, though, is that there is clearly playing time available to Proctor and (though he's probably less likely to take the return) Roach, should they return. None of the sites are high enough on these guards to suggest that they'd "have" to start no matter what.