Page 113 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2763
    Is it next year yet, cause I think it could be fun to watch these kids.

Here’s Jared McCain almost lapping the field in the McDonald’s three-point shooting contest.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35973352

Me like…
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Here’s Jared McCain almost lapping the field in the McDonald’s three-point shooting contest.

Me like…
    Wow. Methinks this year's mediocre 3 pt shooting will see a big improvement. What a nice stroke.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Me like…
    I’ve got a sneaky suspicion we’ll be less anxious about shooting next year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Yeah, McCain will look real nice playing off the drives by Proctor and Foster.

Sean Stewart won the Dunk Contest!

Duke's Sean Stewart won the McDonald's dunk contest tonight, giving Duke a double in the premier skills contests with Jared McCain winning the 3 point contest.

Frankly, if anything was demonstrated by the dunk contest is to at the very least change the format.
    I thought the kids got tired by the 3rd round.
    The first dunk by Matas Buzelis was fantastic, novel, smooth, and well executed:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1640515989791195137
    But the kid (and 3 of the 4 finalists) couldn't make a dunk at all in the last round.
    Stewart won by attrition.
    Missing all dunks gets you no lower than a 7 (the basketball participation trophy).

Jared McCain however was a revelation:
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1640517652052430848
    Won by a ton (27 of 34 possible points).
    Now, we'll see how he does with hands in his face but at the very least he's a promising guy to plant in the corner. Hopefully he plays defense.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Duke's Sean Stewart won the McDonald's dunk contest tonight, giving Duke a double in the premier skills contests with Jared McCain winning the 3 point contest.

Frankly, if anything was demonstrated by the dunk contest is to at the very least change the format.
    The first dunk by Matas Buzelis was fantastic, novel, smooth, and well executed:
    But the kid (and 3 of the 4 finalists) couldn't make a dunk at all in the last round.
    Missing all dunks gets you no lower than a 7 (the basketball participation trophy).

Now, we'll see how he does with hands in his face but at the very least he's a promising guy to plant in the corner. Hopefully he plays defense.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    McCain will be more than just a spot up shooter. He can create, as well.

Here is the Jared McCain portion of the JamFest Boys 3-Point Shootout:

And here is the poorly edited highlight video for the JamFest Dunk Contest, won by Sean Stewart:

Well

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post

Larry
    DevilHorse
    He did pretty well when one of the balls he shot came bouncing back near him, and he went ahead and shot another as the first ball zipped by, nothing but net. Nice concentration.

Me like…
    Joins Collins, Langdon, Battier, James, Duhon, Sulaimon, Reddish, Kelly, Redick and Kennard. Not a bad group of shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    And here is the poorly edited highlight video for the JamFest Dunk Contest, won by Sean Stewart:
    Sportscenter was teasing this all morning, waited to watch it and when the segment finally came up they only showed Bronny James' dunks and the Matas Buzelis dunk.
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Sportscenter was teasing this all morning, waited to watch it and when the segment finally came up they only showed Bronny James' dunks and the Matas Buzelis dunk.
    That first dunk from Buzelis was pretty good. It's a shame he isn't going to play in college (although I am glad he isn't going to be playing in Chapel Hill).

Notes from The Athletic's Tobias Bass on McDonald's All-American practices:

"Jared McCain is one of the best one-on-one players in the country. The Duke commit made a variety of contested shots and tough finishes around the rim. As the primary ballhandler most of the weekend, he set his teammates up for easy baskets and commanded the offense well.'

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Notes from The Athletic's Tobias Bass on McDonald's All-American practices:

"Jared McCain is one of the best one-on-one players in the country. The Duke commit made a variety of contested shots and tough finishes around the rim. As the primary ballhandler most of the weekend, he set his teammates up for easy baskets and commanded the offense well.'
    Yeah, we appear to have a plethora of shot creators next year, with Proctor, Foster, and McCain. I also like that both McCain and Foster are well-built guys. Neither looks like he should be overwhelmed by physicality.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, we appear to have a plethora of shot creators next year, with Proctor, Foster, and McCain. I also like that both McCain and Foster are well-built guys. Neither looks like he should be overwhelmed by physicality.
    But they are not in their mid-20s; how can they possibly compete?

I have been struck as I read the reports from McD practices and scrimmages that I have not seen a single mention of Mgbako. McCain has been one of the top 5 players and his shot making has been on full display. I've read good stuff about Stewart's motor and he is seen as a tenacious rebounder, but I have not heard boo about MM. In fact, the only thing I have seen at all is him standing there so Stewart could fly over him for that dunk last night.

Anyone hear that MacKenzie might be banged up or something?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I have been struck as I read the reports from McD practices and scrimmages that I have not seen a single mention of Mgbako. McCain has been one of the top 5 players and his shot making has been on full display. I've read good stuff about Stewart's motor and he is seen as a tenacious rebounder, but I have not heard boo about MM. In fact, the only thing I have seen at all is him standing there so Stewart could fly over him for that dunk last night.

I have not heard or seen anything to the effect that Mgbako isn't 100%, although he did have that ankle/leg injury several weeks ago.

He's been making some headlines another way, however...

https://balldurham.com/2023/03/27/du...-championship/

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

The lack of hype about MacKenzie makes me wonder whether expectations for him might need to be tempered. Based on what I had seen/read I was projecting him as a surefire OAD whose ceiling was the type of player we expected Dariq to be this year if healthy. It's also why I thought the speculation that we might look into a transfer at the 5 despite our potential returnees was odd, as Kyle at the 4 would seemingly squeeze MacKenzie out of the starting lineup (assuming Mitchell returns). The combination of all these things implies to me that maybe the staff views MacKenzie as best suited for a sixth man role and/or he may be a two year guy... I think the range on the contributions of all our incoming freshman is much wider than usual given how COVID impacted not only the evaluation of this class, but their development during HS.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Last thing I read about Mgbako was a 2024 mock(ish) draft by Givony... that didn't include Mgbako. Givony is about as clued in on high school bball as they come, so unless it was a massive brain fart on his part (which is possible), it might be that Mgbako's stock has fallen a bit. It's not like Mgbako was this worldbeater of a prospect. He's not super athletic, and appears to be more of a 6'8" version of a Filipowski-style player, minus some of the ballhandling and passing skills. So it's possible that Mgbako just isn't as exciting a prospect as it seemed a year or more ago.

Hopefully that's not the case, but his 2023 highlights don't show much that make him stand out as an elite prospect. He's definitely bigger, and seems to be a true PF now rather than a tall wing forward.