Page 7 of 139 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast
    Worries me that our head coach is in New Hamster, but Wolfeboro is a nice place if he can get in and out of there quickly

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Not one to just sit around and bask in the glory of his early returns, HCIW Jon Scheyer will be heading up to New Hampshire this week to check on 6'9" PG/SG/W/Unicorn Mata Buzelis. Jake Weingarten reports Illinois and UNC are there today with Scheyer in town tomorrow. The Lithuanian-born player is stateside and receiving a ton of interest. He's very skinny, at around 175 lbs. He looks like he has the body of Shaun Livingston, although the jumper looks a lot more reliable. Buzelis is getting a lot of high-major offers already. Will Duke be able to keep it rolling?

As you say, there is a lot of interest. Just saw that Cal was up to see him, too, and he's got offers from Florida State, Wake Forest, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Illinois and Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Worries me that our head coach is in New Hamster, but Wolfeboro is a nice place if he can get in and out of there quickly
    Brewster Academy is beautiful. And it's a 2 min walk from Wolfeboro.

Count me in the camp who loves New England but isn't a fan of NH. Gimme VT or ME any day of the week.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Brewster Academy is beautiful. And it's a 2 min walk from Wolfeboro.

Count me in the camp who loves New England but isn't a fan of NH. Gimme VT or ME any day of the week.
    attaboy, you are my new best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    attaboy, you are my new best friend.
    Comes down to food and beer. Portland ME arguably has the best food in New England. The whole state of Vermont has great food.

And beer? (VT + ME) < remainder of the US

Just my two cents...and I know I'll get plenty of feedback for that beer comment
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I assume you meant VT+ME>The other 48, which I can't say I agree on, but I am going to New England in 2 weeks to research.

Comes down to food and beer. Portland ME arguably has the best food in New England. The whole state of Vermont has great food.

Just my two cents...and I know I'll get plenty of feedback for that beer comment
    I think if your equation was VT+ME+MA>the pick of any three other states, then I'd say you have a reasonable argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    I think if your equation was VT+ME+MA>the pick of any three other states, then I'd say you have a reasonable argument.
    Oregon, Colorado, and California would like a word.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepos View Post
    Trillium, Jack's Abby, Tree House, etc?

Yeah, I'm spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Oregon, Colorado, and California would like a word.
    And your three would win my vote. New England's big three would be competitive though.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Good news on Mgbako from behind enemy lines at mgoblog:

The final offer went out to 5-star wing Mackenzie Mgbako of Gill St. Bernard (NJ). An elite shooter at around 6'8, he's widely considered a Duke lock. Don't get you hopes up here.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

New Targets in New England

247Sports' Dushawn London is reporting that the coaching staff will be in New Hampshire today to take in a pair of top targets, G/F Matas Buzelis and 5* SF Taylor Bol Bowen.

Bowen is a new name on the Duke radar. He's a 6'7-8" forward from Vermont, playing for Brewster Academy. He's long and athletic and with a good-looking outside touch. Kind of an ideal big wing a la Ingram/Tatum (in body type if not quite overall talent and skill level).

247Sports' Dushawn London is reporting that the coaching staff will be in New Hampshire today to take in a pair of top targets, G/F Matas Buzelis and 5* SF Taylor Bol Bowen.

Bowen is a new name on the Duke radar. He's a 6'7-8" forward from Vermont, playing for Brewster Academy. He's long and athletic and with a good-looking outside touch. Kind of an ideal big wing a la Ingram/Tatum (in body type if not quite overall talent and skill level).
    Ha, yes I see sources that say he's from Jericho VT which is next door to where I live, but no one up here has ever heard of him...nonetheless, he sounds like a good prospect at a good hoop school...

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    I assume you meant VT+ME>The other 48, which I can't say I agree on, but I am going to New England in 2 weeks to research.
    States with nine month long winters stuck inside have the inside track on beer production.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilYouKnow View Post
    States with nine month long winters stuck inside have the inside track on beer production.
    States, and countries as well.

247Sports Updates it Class of 2023 Rankings

247Sports just released its new player rankings for the Class of 2023.

At this early junction, Caleb Foster is the only player ranked inside the top 73 that has committed. The primary targets that have emerged for Duke have all received a bump in their recruiting rankings, some by significant margins.

SF Mackenzie Mgbako up to #3 (+10) Received an offer
    G/F Matas Buzelis up to #4 (+39)
    F/C GG Jackson up to #8 (+23) Received an offer
    PG Caleb Foster up to #12 (+7) Committed to Duke
    SF Taylor Bowen up to #21 (+4)

247Sports just released its new player rankings for the Class of 2023.

At this early junction, Caleb Foster is the only player ranked inside the top 73 that has committed. The primary targets that have emerged for Duke have all received a bump in their recruiting rankings, some by significant margins.

SF Mackenzie Mgbako up to #3 (+10) Received an offer
    G/F Matas Buzelis up to #4 (+39)
    F/C GG Jackson up to #8 (+23) Received an offer
    PG Caleb Foster up to #12 (+7) Committed to Duke
    SF Taylor Bowen up to #21 (+4)
    Bronny James down to #52 (-25)

Sometimes, the apple does fall far from the tree...

I think he's a higher-ranked and better overall prospect than either of MJ's kids. He has a shot at making a professional career of basketball if he wants it.

Depends on your definition of "far." It would appear the son is a great basketball player, one of the top 50 or so in his age group among the millions who play basketball in high school. He is far better at basketball than anyone on this board has ever been in our wildest dreams. But, he is not one of the all-time greats at the game like his father is. He is closer to his father's level of greatness than 99.9% of the folks who dribble a ball... but that last tenth of a percent is a heck of a long way to travel.

It is sorta like Charles Edison, a wonderfully accomplished man who was an accomplished businessman, Secretary of the Navy, and Governor of New Jersey... but didn't have nearly the impact on the world that his father, Thomas Edison, did.

-Jason "the book on Bronny isn't finished being written yet either... would not take much for him to develop into a NBA-level hoops player" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Depends on your definition of "far." It would appear the son is a great basketball player, one of the top 50 or so in his age group among the millions who play basketball in high school. He is far better at basketball than anyone on this board has ever been in our wildest dreams. But, he is not one of the all-time greats at the game like his father is. He is closer to his father's level of greatness than 99.9% of the folks who dribble a ball... but that last tenth of a percent is a heck of a long way to travel.

It is sorta like Charles Edison, a wonderfully accomplished man who was an accomplished businessman, Secretary of the Navy, and Governor of New Jersey... but didn't have nearly the impact on the world that his father, Thomas Edison, did.

-Jason "the book on Bronny isn't finished being written yet either... would not take much for him to develop into a NBA-level hoops player" Evans
    Now hold on there, I'm pretty darned impressive in my wildest dreams.

Oh, wait. My wildest dreams aren't about basketball.

Never mind.