Page 5 of 139 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Kedsy and Budwon are making my argument. I've never said this was a short-term thing. The exit strategy seems to be to have a few teams, established fans (online or in-person), and players under contract. That's like a 5-10 year timeframe.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Doesn't the Disney channel charge a monthly subscription fee to view its content? It does where I come from, anyway, which means it's very different from the business model you're suggesting.
    Well, technically Disney makes money because cable providers pay the channel a small fee for each person who gets it... much like how ESPN makes a lot of its money, and why which channels are in which "packages" is such a big deal. But back home in Michigan the Disney channel was one of the basic channels in most Comcast subscriptions, meaning you weren't paying an extra monthly fee for its content.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Well, technically Disney makes money because cable providers pay the channel a small fee for each person who gets it... much like how ESPN makes a lot of its money, and why which channels are in which "packages" is such a big deal. But back home in Michigan the Disney channel was one of the basic channels in most Comcast subscriptions, meaning you weren't paying an extra monthly fee for its content.
    There's now "Disney Channel" which is what you are describing (it has ads), and "Disney Plus" which is a streaming service where you pay an extra fee of about $12-13 a month - I think it gets bundled with ESPN Plus and Hulu - I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep track of all of these add-ons but this one I actually get.

As I understand it, OTE makes a lot of money making highlight clips of players. So these players they are signing will help them to generate content that they can monetize. The question is who will these players be playing when they are generating this content? I'm sure there is also an aspect of signing away a portion of future earnings. There are a lot of smart people and/or big names involved (Durant, Bezos, Drake, Andreessen Horowitz, David Stern was involved) so I'm guessing there is a strategy and they aren't just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping for the best.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled recruiting discussion...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And players under contract.
    ABA players at the time of the 1976 merger with the NBA included Dr J, George Gervin, Moses Malone, Maurice Lucas, David Thompson, Dan Issel, and Artis Gilmore.

Is Bronnie class of ‘23? What’s doing with him and does K being retired then change his decision?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Is Bronnie class of ‘23? What’s doing with him and does K being retired then change his decision?
    Yes, he is class of 2023. He is a wing and is considered one of the top 25 or so players in the class.

As for the second part of your question, regarding K, I don't think anyone knows how this will affect Bronny's decision. Most seemed to think that K had a good shot at Bronny because he has a good relationship with Lebron. But, Calipari and other prominent college coaches also have a good relationship with Lebron and Bronny. Scheyer was an assistant on the 2016 Olympic team so he certainly got to know Lebron a bit at that time.

Bronny is somewhat unique in that he is already super famous and probably looking at tremendous NIL income prior to a potential NBA career. But he is also someone who would draw eyeballs to Overtime Elite or G-League teams. Of course, money probably matters less to him than to any major recruit in history (not many top tier recruits have a father who is a billionaire). The most important thing is going to be who can give Bronny the instruction and opportunities to develop him into the best player he can be. I suspect Scheyer (with K in the wings) will be in the game but it is too early to really tell.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    ABA players at the time of the 1976 merger with the NBA included Dr J, George Gervin, Moses Malone, Maurice Lucas, David Thompson, Dan Issel, and Artis Gilmore.
    You left out Randy Denton😀

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yes, he is class of 2023. He is a wing and is considered one of the top 25 or so players in the class.

As for the second part of your question, regarding K, I don't think anyone knows how this will affect Bronny's decision. Most seemed to think that K had a good shot at Bronny because he has a good relationship with Lebron. But, Calipari and other prominent college coaches also have a good relationship with Lebron and Bronny. Scheyer was an assistant on the 2016 Olympic team so he certainly got to know Lebron a bit at that time.

Bronny is somewhat unique in that he is already super famous and probably looking at tremendous NIL income prior to a potential NBA career. But he is also someone who would draw eyeballs to Overtime Elite or G-League teams. Of course, money probably matters less to him than to any major recruit in history (not many top tier recruits have a father who is a billionaire). The most important thing is going to be who can give Bronny the instruction and opportunities to develop him into the best player he can be. I suspect Scheyer (with K in the wings) will be in the game but it is too early to really tell.
    It's probable that Scheyer and James have crossed paths at some point, but it wasn't during the 2016 Olympics. LeBron was on the 2008 and 2012 teams but was not part of the 2016 team. James and the Cavaliers had just won the NBA Finals over the 73-9 Golden State Warriors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_U...asketball_team

Just like Bagley asked Duke to “un retire” #35 for him, maybe Bronny will have K un retire to coach him for a year. (if not obvious, this is a joke)

Coach Scheyer's 2022 World Maccabiah Games Coaching Commitment

In 2020, Coach Scheyer was named the HC for the US basketball entry in the 2022 World Maccabiah Games from 7/14-25/22 at several sites in Israel.

Any speculation as to how this commitment could potentially affect Duke's recruiting, mostly for 2023(/24)?

Thank you!
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    In 2020, Coach Scheyer was named the HC for the US basketball entry in the 2022 World Maccabiah Games from 7/14-25/22 at several sites in Israel.

Any speculation as to how this commitment could potentially affect Duke's recruiting, mostly for 2023(/24)?

Thank you!
    Duke basketball is eligible to take a foreign trip again next summer. Coaching a few exhibition games during the summer might be a good idea for a new head coach. I don't know whether Jon's Maccabiah commitment makes it more or less likely that the team takes a foreign trip. Maybe the Maccabiah commitment takes too much time. Maybe a team trip could be piggybacked on the Maccabiah games somehow.

Of course, everything is dependent upon the pandemic.

Surprise! Mackenzie Mgbako on Official Visit to Duke

Usually these are posted well ahead of time. For Mackenzie Mgbako, one of the top players in the Class of 2023, he just showed up at Duke on an official visit. Astute Duke fans on social media noticed this when Mgbako, a 6'7" SF many consider to be one of the top 5 players in his class, posted a grainy photo from Duke's campus. Andrew Slater later confirmed that the New Jersey native is indeed on campus. At this point, it appears that HCIW Scheyer and the Duke staff are in very good shape with both Mgbako and fellow NJ native Caleb Foster.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...27962046287879

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Usually these are posted well ahead of time. For Mackenzie Mgbako, one of the top players in the Class of 2023, he just showed up at Duke on an official visit. Astute Duke fans on social media noticed this when Mgbako, a 6'7" SF many consider to be one of the top 5 players in his class, posted a grainy photo from Duke's campus. Andrew Slater later confirmed that the New Jersey native is indeed on campus. At this point, it appears that HCIW Scheyer and the Duke staff are in very good shape with both Mgbako and fellow NJ native Caleb Foster.

Great! Hope he signs up with us!

How does he pronounce his last name? I'd like to get it right without guessing

9F 9F 9F

Nice

Nice of him to pose in front of cinder blocks!

Look at those cinder blocks. He's gonna fit right in!

Great! Hope he signs up with us!

How does he pronounce his last name? I'd like to get it right without guessing
    My understanding is that his name is pronounced with a silent "g" and the emphasis on the second syllable, like "mh-BAH-koh". It is a name of Nigerian decent, I believe.

In Scheyer we trust. The combination of a really young staff with a blue blood program is a bit unprecedented in the current era. It's off to a great start.

My understanding is that his name is pronounced with a silent "g" and the emphasis on the second syllable, like "mh-BAH-koh". It is a name of Nigerian decent, I believe.
    Thanks. Can't wait for announcers to botch it...

9F 9F 9F

Surprise-squared! Caleb Foster is on Duke's campus this weekend, too

I had no idea when I posted the last Andrew Slater tweet that Caleb Foster would also be on Duke's campus for an official visit. Wowza, what a week for HCIW Scheyer and staff. Might Duke start off the Class of 2023 with a double-bang?

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...53764117671942

Who knows about his decision? But yes he's Class of '23. He's going to be on a loaded Sierra Canyon team this year, where he won't be anywhere close to the best player or the #1 option. I'm planning on seeing them play again this year and look forward to see how he has improved since I last saw him two years ago.