Page 10 of 139 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    It seems to me that we so often refer to poor defense in our treads that relate to "what might have been". Can ewe not teach good players to play good defense. UVA does that's does 'Zaga,
    'Nova etc. Syracuse for years. Am i wrong in questioning this? Could it be the number of potential "high pick" guys who care only about big offensive numbers?
    Kind of apples to oranges.

UVA’s defense relies on a system that takes multiple years to perfect. Bennett makes it work when his rotation is a bunch of guys with 2-3 years of experience in it.

Syracuse plays a 2-3 zone and recruits players to fit to that zone. The 2-3 is reasonably easy to teach, and like Bennett Boeheim usually has veterans playing it. Also worth noting that Syracuse hasn’t actually been good defensively for a while. In the recent years (2015, 2018) where we turned to a 2-3 zone, we ran it better than Cuse does.

Gonzaga also hasn’t generally been known for defense. They have generally been an offense-first team. But again, they rely primarily on a veteran roster.

Duke’s defensive success has been more hit or miss in the one-and-done era. But we have still had plenty of good defensive teams in the past decade. It is just harder to develop a good defense when you have new teams each year and when those teams are heavily loaded with 19 year olds.

Here's a photo Sean Stewart posted from his official visit to Duke this weekend.

https://twitter.com/Sean13Stewart/st...371329/photo/2

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Here's a photo Sean Stewart posted from his official visit to Duke this weekend.

https://twitter.com/Sean13Stewart/st...371329/photo/2

The recruit’s neck is longer than Scheyer’s! Gotta get this player if for only that reason!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Duke makes the cut for Sean Stewart

Joe Tipton has a little photoshop of Sean Stewart announcing his final 8 schools, including Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Howard, Michigan, Ohio State, and Stanford.

Quite the prestigious group of schools.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Joe Tipton has a little photoshop of Sean Stewart announcing his final 8 schools, including Duke, Georgetown, Harvard, Howard, Michigan, Ohio State, and Stanford.

Quite the prestigious group of schools.

And three of them coached by Dukies.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Taylor Bol Bowen Schedules Official Visit for December

Class of 2023 5* F Taylor Bol Bowen of Egypt by way of Vermont and the Brewster Academy in New Hampshire will be making a visit to Durham on December 20th. That's a Monday during break, but Duke will face an important team on the 22nd, Virginia Tech.

https://stockrisers.com/s/407/five-s...tment-and-game

Matas Buzelis of Lithuania

Comparisons to Luka Doncic skills.
    https://www.zagsblog.com/2021/11/20/...prep-showcase/

Good for NC St. to beat out the likes of Kentucky and Memphis to land PG Robert Dillingham. The ACC has been lagging the SEC in recruiting the past couple of seasons and it's now really starting to show up on the court

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Good for NC St. to beat out the likes of Kentucky and Memphis to land PG Robert Dillingham. The ACC has been lagging the SEC in recruiting the past couple of seasons and it's now really starting to show up on the court
    A few months ago, UNC fans were convinced they were landing Dillingham. Then, it was all but certain that he was going to Kentucky. Now, he's committed to the Wolfpack.

Dillingham is at Donda Academy. It'll be interesting to see if he ever plays in college.

GG Jackson sets official visit for 1/21

Travis Branham of 247Sports has reported that GG Jackson, a 6'8" versatile forward (seems like a trend for the Class of 2023...) from Columbia, SC, will take an official visit to Duke the weekend of January 21st. This falls during the scheduled game against Syracuse.

Jackson is considered a strong lean towards Carolina. His father apparently was a big UNC fan. This has failed to deter HCIW Scheyer and staff, so who knows if that factoid will matter in the end. By way of game, Jackson is a 3-level scorer that can initiate from the perimeter or operate around the rim as a face-up forward. He is quick and long with a good handle. His profile is exactly what you want to see out of a modern forward in the college and NBA.

Mata Buzelis is visiting Kentucky today.

Top 25 in 2023, Sean Stewart set to announce

Could it be Duke? We might get an early Christmas surprise this afternoon.

Sean is a 6’8”, 230 lb power forward from Windermere, Florida. He is a 4 star recruit on ESPN and ranked 41st overall in the ESPN class of 2023. 247 sports’ crystal ball lists him as a 100% confidence level of committing to Duke.

Other offers include: Georgetown, Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Arizona State, Florida, Florida Gulf Coast, Georgia Tech, Harvard, Kansas, Maryland, Ole Miss, Penn State, Pitt, Stanford, Stetson, Texas, Texas A&M, and South Florida.

Should Stewart commit, he would be Jon Scheyer’s 2nd Class of 2023 recruit to commit, joining Caleb Foster (5 star point guard from Oak Hill Academy).

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Should Stewart commit, he would be Jon Scheyer’s 2nd Class of 2023 recruit to commit, joining Caleb Foster (5 star point guard from Oak Hill Academy).
    Also worth keeping in mind for 2023 is Christian Reeves, Caleb Foster's current teammate at Oak Hill, who is planning to redshirt and debut for Duke in 2023. He's a 7-1 center and 3-star recruit.

Decision Day for Sean Stewart

This one has flown under the radar, at least it seems to me, but Class of 2023 F Sean Stewart is set to announce his commitment today. The commitment video will be live on Instagram at 4:15 p.m. EST. There was a flurry of crystal ball activity in favor of Duke, too. Seems like HCIW Jon Scheyer and the recruitment train keeps rolling along.

Stewart, the son of former NBA Player Michael "Yogi" Stewart, a journeyman F/C that played for 8 seasons and was at one time teammates with Carlos Boozer, LeBron James, and DaJuan Wagner in Cleveland. Coincidently, Wagner's son DJ is also one of the top-rated players in the Class of 2023.

As far as a scouting report is concerned, Stewart is a multi-positional defender, athletic, and has a developing perimeter game. He appears to be more comfortable facing up and attacking the basket at this point but has good shooting mechanics that may develop in time, in college or beyond. He is rated as the 25th player in 247Sports, 41st by ESPN, and 58th by Rivals.

Taylor Bol Bowen.....

https://www.yahoo.com/news/5-star-re...110057177.html

Taylor Bol Bowen describes himself as a “huge fan” of Duke basketball.

So among the many NBA players Bowen has been compared to in his prep career, from the Brooklyn Nets’ Kevin Durant to the Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo to the Toronto Raptors’ Pascal Siakam, hearing his name evoked alongside the Boston Celtics’ Jayson Tatum has been extra flattering.
    Last edited by -jk; 12-31-2021 at 12:21 PM. Reason: quote

Interesting prospect who, according to some reports, lives right down the road from me, but I've never heard of him...somehow he wandered down to NH to play prep school hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Interesting prospect who, according to some reports, lives right down the road from me, but I've never heard of him...somehow he wandered down to NH to play prep school hoops.
    Love to hear what he has to say about Duke. It really pays to have a star Blue Devil in Boston right near Brewster.

I wonder if the coaching staff is attempting to get both Bowen and Sean Stewart as rotation players as freshmen with the hopes that they stick around to be sophomores, like the plan with Brakefield and Coleman. The primary targets for the forward positions are Mgbako and Jackson from what I can tell. I'd love to have a pair of athletic borderline 5-star recruits around for a sophomore year.

Love to hear what he has to say about Duke. It really pays to have a star Blue Devil in Boston right near Brewster.

I wonder if the coaching staff is attempting to get both Bowen and Sean Stewart as rotation players as freshmen with the hopes that they stick around to be sophomores, like the plan with Brakefield and Coleman. The primary targets for the forward positions are Mgbako and Jackson from what I can tell. I'd love to have a pair of athletic borderline 5-star recruits around for a sophomore year.
    Doesn’t seem like Jackson is coming to Duke. All the buzz for him seems UNC’s way. But Bowen is a top-25 recruit, so not a terrible fallback. We are also recruiting Bowen’s teammate Buzelis, who is another 6’9” guy but with guard skills.