Page 85 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 2763
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Chris Collins deserves some mention on this list, and the Boozer boys would be welcome additions, also.
    Austin Rivers and Seth Curry as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He simply does not fit with the kids Duke has already committed. He also wants to be one of the focal points of the team, which is something that would not happen at Duke given we already have 4 guys coming in who are higher ranked than Bronny is. It is pretty likely that Bronny would not even start if he came to Duke.
    I would disagree with this a lot. I think if Jon when recruiting Proctor originally saw him as a 23 recruit then I actually think briny can play that same role that proctor would have. I highly disagree with the he wants to be a focal point thing, to me thats never been apart of him look at his AAU play where he's had to be pushed this year to "takeover" because thats what staffs wanted to see and also his choice of high school where he's always been at best the 4th best guy.

Does that mean he'd come to duke? that I don't know But he's not this guy that some seems to think he is based on who his dad is.

Sean Stewart + other Duke Targets on ESPNU @7:00

Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    I would disagree with this a lot. I think if Jon when recruiting Proctor originally saw him as a 23 recruit then I actually think briny can play that same role that proctor would have. I highly disagree with the he wants to be a focal point thing, to me thats never been apart of him look at his AAU play where he's had to be pushed this year to "takeover" because thats what staffs wanted to see and also his choice of high school where he's always been at best the 4th best guy.

Does that mean he'd come to duke? that I don't know But he's not this guy that some seems to think he is based on who his dad is.
    The fact that he wants to play 1 year and then head to the NBA to play with his dad, and that he would very likely be coming off Duke’s bench, sets up a potentially difficult situation where our coaching staff has to chose between supporting Bronny/Lebron’s dream or doing what’s best for the team. The media coverage could be very, very distracting or even toxic.

I don’t blame Lebron or Bronny at all. It’s a great plan to play for a year with your son. Duke, with all its top players, is just not the best place to make a dream that a priority. Whereas a school like maybe a GT or a Clemson could guarantee Bronny a starting spot and benefit from all the media attention.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    The fact that he wants to play 1 year and then head to the NBA to play with his dad, and that he would very likely be coming off Duke’s bench, sets up a potentially difficult situation where our coaching staff has to chose between supporting Bronny/Lebron’s dream or doing what’s best for the team. The media coverage could be very, very distracting or even toxic.

I don’t blame Lebron or Bronny at all. It’s a great plan to play for a year with your son. Duke, with all its top players, is just not the best place to make a dream that a priority. Whereas a school like maybe a GT or a Clemson could guarantee Bronny a starting spot and benefit from all the media attention.
    yeah, that's pretty much it. Just not a really good fit for our Blue Devils this year given his ASAP NBA aspirations.

Obviously, I have no clue what Bronny and his dad might be thinking but I would guess they might be interested in a west coast school - maybe UCLA or USC - to stay close to home and LeBron could attend many games without having to fly across the country. I don't know about the talent levels on those teams, as to whether Bronny could start and/or get significant minutes? Plus, I'm also guessing that many coaches may not want the sideshow that will inevitably take place wherever Bronny goes. Who would want one of the greatest players in basketball history sitting behind your bench evaluating how you're coaching and playing his son?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

With all the issues with tampering in the NBA lately, I still have no idea how this hasn't become a bigger story. At one point LeBron explicitly said that he wanted to finish his career playing with his son. How is that not, at minimum, controversial? What happens in the 2024 Draft if it's become common knowledge that you aren't just drafting Bronny, but you're getting LeBron too? Does a team take Bronny way outside of his projected draft range thinking that they're getting LeBron too? If that makes Bronny a first round pick instead of a second round pick, how do all the draftees he jumps feel about that, and the effect it has on their first contracts (as we analyzed to death with Trevor's situation, it's very non-trivial)?

The fact that no one talks about this element of what will probably be portrayed as a feel good "father and son" story blows my mind, especially when the NBA takes draft picks away from teams for talking with free agents to-be before the proper window. If it's not clear after Bronny's year of college/G-League/something else that he's an NBA caliber player, but he still gets a spot based off of his dad, then there's a whole different can of worms that gets opened.

With all that in mind, I'm happy to steer clear of that situation.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    With all the issues with tampering in the NBA lately, I still have no idea how this hasn't become a bigger story. At one point LeBron explicitly said that he wanted to finish his career playing with his son. How is that not, at minimum, controversial? What happens in the 2024 Draft if it's become common knowledge that you aren't just drafting Bronny, but you're getting LeBron too? Does a team take Bronny way outside of his projected draft range thinking that they're getting LeBron too? If that makes Bronny a first round pick instead of a second round pick, how do all the draftees he jumps feel about that, and the effect it has on their first contracts (as we analyzed to death with Trevor's situation, it's very non-trivial)?

The fact that no one talks about this element of what will probably be portrayed as a feel good "father and son" story blows my mind, especially when the NBA takes draft picks away from teams for talking with free agents to-be before the proper window. If it's not clear after Bronny's year of college/G-League/something else that he's an NBA caliber player, but he still gets a spot based off of his dad, then there's a whole different can of worms that gets opened.

Not sure other athletes can question why he might be taken ahead of them- but it is possible that James links his next team to Bronny’s selection/ a bit like giving up a first round pick. That seems very reasonable plus his kids get a guaranteed contract that can set him up for life.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Obviously, I have no clue what Bronny and his dad might be thinking but I would guess they might be interested in a west coast school - maybe UCLA or USC - to stay close to home and LeBron could attend many games without having to fly across the country. I don't know about the talent levels on those teams, as to whether Bronny could start and/or get significant minutes? Plus, I'm also guessing that many coaches may not want the sideshow that will inevitably take place wherever Bronny goes. Who would want one of the greatest players in basketball history sitting behind your bench evaluating how you're coaching and playing his son?
    Seems like a USC kid to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post

I don't see the controversy. Yet.

LeBron James is an unrestricted free agent next summer. If we assume that he extends with the Lakers for one more year, then he's a free agent again in 2024, when his son is draft eligible. It gets a little tricky in that he will play a dual role of prospect's father AND free agent, and those roles do present a conflict of interest. He may have to leave Bronny alone to make his workout visits, and he shouldn't comment on any specific teams as a destination for either of them, to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

I don't think it really matters if Bronny is seemingly drafted out of place just because the selecting team has a very good shot at adding LeBron as a free agent. But that assumes that the team keeps the pick. Another potential minefield is the use of Bronny's draft rights as a trade asset. The league likes to intervene in trades that appear to have unbalanced value, and after Bronny is selected, it's hard to think of a draft night trade that wouldn't look unbalanced.

Mookie Cook recommits to Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Austin Rivers and Seth Curry as well.
    There are plenty of them...

In just the next couple recruiting classes we have DJ Wagner, Andrej Stojakovic, Dylan Harper... the list is long.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Tipton says Bronny is being recruited by these schools...

I would think the G-League or OTE would make him a pretty lucrative offer too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    yeah, that's pretty much it. Just not a really good fit for our Blue Devils this year given his ASAP NBA aspirations.
    The thing with bronny is he’s not going to be the focal point at a big school unless it’s a school that’s not bringing In top 10 talent. So outside of headlines, I don’t think if he’s choosing to go to a blue blood his role will be in question. Lebron for all we want to say about him he smart and knows the game and there was a reason he wanted bronny to be coached by k. He wasn’t going to be given a role under k if Msu is under consideration he’s not being given a role. The biggest issue is the draft thing and we’ve seen guys not ready for the draft leave easily and I think this would be more of one of those things, where he leaves early than should be out of college than he cause drama about a role because he wants to be a OAD.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tipton says Bronny is being recruited by these schools...

I would think the G-League or OTE would make him a pretty lucrative offer too.
    I've heard rumors the LIV tour has offered ten figures.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Seems like a USC kid to me.
    Plus they can probably get him onto their water polo team. No experience required!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I've heard rumors the LIV tour has offered ten figures.
    Must spread sporks…
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Rivals is releasing its new rankings for the Class of 2023 this week. On Monday, they are revealing their Top 10 with the full 150 coming out on Tuesday. Initial Class of 2025 rankings (Boozers, Flagg et al) comes out on Thursday.

So far, they have revealed half of the Top 10. I assume Mgbako is going to be the highest-rated prospect for Duke, so we might not see another Duke commit appear. Caleb Foster had a lot of buzz over the summer, so there's an outside chance that he shows up in the top 5. I'll update this later if he does rise that far.

5. Mackenzie Mgbako
    10. Sean Stewart

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...own-for-2023-4

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Rivals is releasing its new rankings for the Class of 2023 this week. On Monday, they are revealing their Top 10 with the full 150 coming out on Tuesday. Initial Class of 2025 rankings (Boozers, Flagg et al) comes out on Thursday.

So far, they have revealed half of the Top 10. I assume Mgbako is going to be the highest-rated prospect for Duke, so we might not see another Duke commit appear. Caleb Foster had a lot of buzz over the summer, so there's an outside chance that he shows up in the top 5. I'll update this later if he does rise that far.

5. Mackenzie Mgbako
    10. Sean Stewart

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...own-for-2023-4
    The top 4 included Xavier Booker (C - Michigan State), Justin Edwards (SF - Kentucky), DJ Wagner (G - uncommitted), and Isaiah Collier (G - uncommitted).

Booker at #1 is a bit of a surprise to me. He shot up recruiting rankings in the spring but appeared to have less than stellar performances over the summer on the shoe circuits. Kudos to Michigan State for landing him, though.
    Last edited by DavidBenAkiva; 08-22-2022 at 12:38 PM.

Not to be outdone by Rivals, 247Sports released their fully updated Top 100 for the Class of 2023. All of the Duke commits (and the ones still being pursued) got a bump in the rankings.

https://247sports.com/Article/Colleg...mes-191899668/

5. Mackenzie Mgbako - F, committed
    8. Sean Stewart - F, committed
    9. Caleb Foster - G, committed
    17. Andrej Stojakovic - G/F, offered
    22. TJ Power - F, offered
    26. Jared McCain - G, committed

Power is the player that received the biggest bump, jumping all the way up to #22 in the rankings. Foster rose into the top 10 after his big summer. Mbgako, Stewart, and McCain all received slight increases in their rankings, possibly reflective of the exodus of GG Jackson from the Class of 2023.

If Duke holds onto a few of the players from the 2022-23 team and adds one more from among the remaining targets, the roster for the 2023-24 season is shaping up to be very nice and competitive. It's too early to tell if it will be a top-3 or -5 rated roster. At minimum, holding onto Blakes, Schutt, Young, Reeves and possibly one or two of Proctor, Filipowski, or Mitchell would position the team for success.