Page 64 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 1697
  1. #1261
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, Canada has become a hoops hotbed and Duke has found two high-level prospects in Maine. There is hope for Idaho.
    And basketball wasteland Alaska has worked out pretty well for Duke as well...

  2. #1262
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Other than Luke Ridnour, from Coeur d'Alene and then the U. of Oregon, who had an OK journeyman NBA career, the state of Idaho hasn't produced a solid high major player, much less an NBA player, in decades. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Wow, you ain't kidding.

    I went back through the 247 database, trying to find a top 200 recruit from the state of Idaho. Most years, Idaho did not have a single kind in even the top 500 recruits in the land. Sometimes they had one pop into the late 200s or 300s.

    But to find a top 200 recruit who hailed from Idaho, you had to go back to 2007 when a big fella named Scott Thompson (not the guy from Kids in the Hall) was ranked #152. He went to Santa Clara where he only played basketball for one season before quitting. He redshirted as a freshman and then averaged less than 5 minutes per game in 2008-09 and less than a point and a rebound per game. He apparently gave up the sport after that, never playing another minute of college basketball.

    So, a dude who could barely get off the bench for Santa Clara in the same recruiting class as OJ Mayo, Kyle Singler, and James Harden is the best recruit from Idaho until Blake Buchanan came along.

    Wow...

    And it isn't like Idaho is some tiny population state. It has more people than West Virginia, Maine, New Hampshire, Alaska and several other states that have produced legit basketball talent over the years.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #1263
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And basketball wasteland Alaska has worked out pretty well for Duke as well...
    Basketball is a religion in Alaska, as it is practically the only nationally-recognized sport one can play for about 50% of the year. Compared to the size of its population, Alaska is a veritable basketball hotbed.

  4. #1264
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Spud Webb had to have been from Idaho

  5. #1265
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Other than Luke Ridnour, from Coeur d'Alene and then the U. of Oregon, who had an OK journeyman NBA career, the state of Idaho hasn't produced a solid high major player, much less an NBA player, in decades. I'll believe it when I see it.
    What I have read is that Buchanan is an underrated talent that Virginia sprung on and was the first high major to offer him other than Gonzaga who is practically in the backyard of where Buchanan grew up (30 miles away).

    This currently appears on paper as a win for Tony Bennett and the UVa staff to sign this kid. The coaching staff appears to have done a great job identifying an underrated player early on, and then trusting their own judgment to prioritize him before others had recognized him as a high-level prospect. Gonzaga was always looming as the threat, and it will be interesting to see where Buchanan lands in the final 2023 recruiting rankings. Top 100 seems like a lock right now. To my naked eye, Buchanan has a bit of a Jay Huff look to him but I’m not sure if he can stroke it as good as Huff from deep. Huff ended up a 4 star recruit and 74th overall in the ESPN top 100 in the class of 2016. Not sure if Buchanan will elevate that high in the final rankings but it may be close-ish.

  6. #1266
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    What I have read is that Buchanan is an underrated talent that Virginia sprung on and was the first high major to offer him other than Gonzaga who is practically in the backyard of where Buchanan grew up (30 miles away).

    This currently appears on paper as a win for Tony Bennett and the UVa staff to sign this kid. The coaching staff appears to have done a great job identifying an underrated player early on,
    and then trusting their own judgment to prioritize him before others had recognized him as a high-level prospect. Gonzaga was always looming as the threat, and it will be interesting to see where Buchanan lands in the final 2023 recruiting rankings. Top 100 seems like a lock right now. To my naked eye, Buchanan has a bit of a Jay Huff look to him but Iím not sure if he can stroke it as good as Huff from deep. Huff ended up a 4 star recruit and 74th overall in the ESPN top 100 in the class of 2016. Not sure if Buchanan will elevate that high in the final rankings but it may be close-ish.
    Don't forget Tony coached at Washington State in Pullman, not far from Idaho, as an assistant to his Dad and then a successful stint as the Head Coach there. Seems likely that his contacts there helped.

  7. #1267
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Basketball is a religion in Alaska, as it is practically the only nationally-recognized sport one can play for about 50% of the year. Compared to the size of its population, Alaska is a veritable basketball hotbed.
    Co-Sign

  8. #1268
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Basketball is a religion in Alaska, as it is practically the only nationally-recognized sport one can play for about 50% of the year. Compared to the size of its population, Alaska is a veritable basketball hotbed.
    Huh, apparently everything I learned from watching Mystery, Alaska was a lie. I thought hockey was the only sport that existed up there

  9. #1269
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Co-Sign
    username checks out

  10. #1270
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Huh, apparently everything I learned from watching Mystery, Alaska was a lie. I thought hockey was the only sport that existed up there
    Granted, it has been many rotations around the sun since I was up there, but ice skating in any form seems oddly rare in Alaska. I think it has something to do with the fact that nobody wants to build a building to ice skate, but also nobody wants to be ice skating outdoors at 20 below, either. Cross-country skiing? Yeah, sure. You can't get better sightseeing on a cross-country ski trip than in Alaska. But ice skating, not so much.

  11. #1271
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    This post is a duplicate of one posted to the 2025 recruiting thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Cameron Boozer was invited to play at the NBA Top 100 camp, which is for 100 of the top prospects across all of high school ball. He is absolutely balling out while playing with significantly older players. He made the All-Star team.

    Some details here: https://twitter.com/TMarkwith14/stat...63991698423813
    I'm trying to put into words how impressive it is that Cameron Boozer was this good at the Top 100 camp while playing with kids 3 years older than him. He was the 9th leading scorer and 17th leading rebounder at the camp... and he is only 14 years old!

    Among the others picked for the Top 100 Camp all-star team (10 players) --

    UNC's GG Jackson was probably the top player at the camp, leading the camp in rebounding by a healthy margin and finishing 5th in scoring.

    Duke's Jared McCain filled the stat sheet as the 7th leading scorer, 25th best rebounder, 3rd in assists, 2nd in ATO ratio, while hitting 56% of his shots from the field... and he's a shooting guard! Talk about doing a little bit of everything!

    Also, JP Estrella, the 6-11 big man who appears to be Jon Scheyer's latest target in the 2023 class was 3rd in scoring, 29th in rebounding, hit 59% of his shots (including 36% of his 3s), and finished 3rd in blocked shots.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  12. #1272
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Basketball is a religion in Alaska, as it is practically the only nationally-recognized sport one can play for about 50% of the year. Compared to the size of its population, Alaska is a veritable basketball hotbed.
    Alaska has gotten more kids the past few years out to P5 and even top 100. Got me interested to see how many ESPN 100 recruits are from Alaska outside of just Duke. ESPN website goes as far back as 2007.

    2018 - 68 - Kamaka Hepa - Texas - Utqiagvik, AK
    2018 - 72 - Devonaire Doutrive - Arizona - Anchorage, AK
    2020 - 21 - Daishen Nix - GLeague Ignite - Anchorage, AK (originally committed to UCLA)
    2020 - 50 - JT Thor - Auburn - Anchorage, AK (Top 15 recruit for 2021, reclassified to 2020)

    This list doesn't include others whom have made contributions at P5 schools, just ones that made the ESPN 100 list. Not all of them have panned out, but Nix and Thor are both in the NBA (GLeague and standard contract). Add in Langdon (Anchorage, AK), Boozer (Juneau, AK) and Mario Chalmers (Anchorage, AK), Alaska has had some contributors at high level college basketball and the NBA.

    P5 schools aren't going to be sending scouts on a regular basis, but for a state with ~750k people, we've done solid. Add in that Anchorage has a population of ~390k.

  13. #1273
    Quote Originally Posted by 907bluedevils View Post
    Alaska has gotten more kids the past few years out to P5 and even top 100. Got me interested to see how many ESPN 100 recruits are from Alaska outside of just Duke. ESPN website goes as far back as 2007.

    2018 - 68 - Kamaka Hepa - Texas - Utqiagvik, AK
    2018 - 72 - Devonaire Doutrive - Arizona - Anchorage, AK
    2020 - 21 - Daishen Nix - GLeague Ignite - Anchorage, AK (originally committed to UCLA)
    2020 - 50 - JT Thor - Auburn - Anchorage, AK (Top 15 recruit for 2021, reclassified to 2020)
    Interestingly, after three underwhelming seasons at Texas, Kamaka Hepa transferred to Hawaii.

    Hard to think of two more divergent places than Honolulu and Utqiagvik.

  14. #1274
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Interestingly, after three underwhelming seasons at Texas, Kamaka Hepa transferred to Hawaii.

    Hard to think of two more divergent places than Honolulu and Utqiagvik.
    His mom is from Utqiagvik and his dad is from Hawaii. Quite the connection.

  15. #1275
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Interestingly, after three underwhelming seasons at Texas, Kamaka Hepa transferred to Hawaii.

    Hard to think of two more divergent places than Honolulu and Utqiagvik.
    Climatologically, yes. Culturally, there's more in common there than you might think. Time zones and geography isolate both Alaska and Hawaii from the contiguous 48 states, and both have strong indigenous cultures with a troubling colonial past and an ongoing battles over regional histories and how to teach them. Without knowing anything about the player, I could easily see how Hepa might find Hawaii to be considerably more relatable than Texas.

  16. #1276

    5-Star Mookie Cook Considering Duke, Kentucky, More After Oregon Decommitment?

    This one seems out of the blue to me and maybe a guy just throwing Duke in because of the brand, but on3 says says Duke is looking at him this weekend.

    https://www.on3.com/news/former-oreg...ods-pro-route/

  17. #1277
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Spud Webb had to have been from Idaho
    Ore ida now, letís not get carried away.

  18. #1278
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Rougemont Nebulae
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Ore ida now, letís not get carried away.
    Please yes. Vote on it, all in favor? Done. The "eyes" have it.

  19. #1279
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow, you ain't kidding.

    I went back through the 247 database, trying to find a top 200 recruit from the state of Idaho. Most years, Idaho did not have a single kind in even the top 500 recruits in the land. Sometimes they had one pop into the late 200s or 300s.

    But to find a top 200 recruit who hailed from Idaho, you had to go back to 2007 when a big fella named Scott Thompson (not the guy from Kids in the Hall) was ranked #152. He went to Santa Clara where he only played basketball for one season before quitting. He redshirted as a freshman and then averaged less than 5 minutes per game in 2008-09 and less than a point and a rebound per game. He apparently gave up the sport after that, never playing another minute of college basketball.

    So, a dude who could barely get off the bench for Santa Clara in the same recruiting class as OJ Mayo, Kyle Singler, and James Harden is the best recruit from Idaho until Blake Buchanan came along.

    Wow...

    And it isn't like Idaho is some tiny population state. It has more people than West Virginia, Maine, New Hampshire, Alaska and several other states that have produced legit basketball talent over the years.
    Well, living next to Idaho, this doesn't surprise me one bit. And it is not just basketball.

  20. #1280
    Quote Originally Posted by cbolden1 View Post
    This one seems out of the blue to me and maybe a guy just throwing Duke in because of the brand, but on3 says says Duke is looking at him this weekend.

    https://www.on3.com/news/former-oreg...ods-pro-route/
    Apparently Jai Lucas was his recruiter at uk.

Similar Threads

  1. 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4070
    Last Post: 07-08-2019, 09:43 AM
  2. 2017 Basketball Recruiting Thread
    By Henderson in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4965
    Last Post: 12-06-2017, 04:02 PM
  3. New take on recruiting... USA Basketball style?
    By Kyrie'sToe in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
  4. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
  5. Women's Basketball Recruiting
    By NYC Duke Fan in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •