Page 8 of 139 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Depends on your definition of "far." It would appear the son is a great basketball player, one of the top 50 or so in his age group among the millions who play basketball in high school. He is far better at basketball than anyone on this board has ever been in our wildest dreams. But, he is not one of the all-time greats at the game like his father is. He is closer to his father's level of greatness than 99.9% of the folks who dribble a ball... but that last tenth of a percent is a heck of a long way to travel.

It is sorta like Charles Edison, a wonderfully accomplished man who was an accomplished businessman, Secretary of the Navy, and Governor of New Jersey... but didn't have nearly the impact on the world that his father, Thomas Edison, did.

-Jason "the book on Bronny isn't finished being written yet either... would not take much for him to develop into a NBA-level hoops player" Evans
    We will see if he grows. Dad has a bunch of inches and lbs on the son- those matter at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Depends on your definition of "far." It would appear the son is a great basketball player, one of the top 50 or so in his age group among the millions who play basketball in high school. He is far better at basketball than anyone on this board has ever been in our wildest dreams. But, he is not one of the all-time greats at the game like his father is. He is closer to his father's level of greatness than 99.9% of the folks who dribble a ball... but that last tenth of a percent is a heck of a long way to travel.
    Reminds of the time Brian Scalabrine responded to a heckler with "I'm a lot closer to LeBron than you are to me."
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Reminds of the time Brian Scalabrine responded to a heckler with "I'm a lot closer to LeBron than you are to me."
    Scalabrine proved it, too

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...an-scalabrine/

The Anthony Black business that is discussed on the front page is distressingly familiar to Texans. The UIL has a long and sordid history of denying perfectly reasonable transfer requests for thoroughly specious reasons. Just ask dormer Duke player Kyra Lambert, who was forced to sit out a year after transferring to a school with an IB program from one without it.

Somebody needs to litigate one of these.

New Offers Alert: Taylor Bol Bowen and Matas Buzelis

Recruiting person Andrew Slater is reporting that Brewster NH teammates Taylor Bol Bowen and Matas Buzelis have both received offers from HCIW Jon Scheyer and the Duke coaching staff.

Buzelis recently shot up the recruiting rankings and is now #4 in the 247Sports rankings. He's a multi-dimensional player that play and defend at least 1-4 if not all 5 positions. Bowen is a versatile forward with length, a good-looking jumper, and a high skillset.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...40952501694467

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Recruiting person Andrew Slater is reporting that Brewster NH teammates Taylor Bol Bowen and Matas Buzelis have both received offers from HCIW Jon Scheyer and the Duke coaching staff.

Buzelis recently shot up the recruiting rankings and is now #4 in the 247Sports rankings. He's a multi-dimensional player that play and defend at least 1-4 if not all 5 positions. Bowen is a versatile forward with length, a good-looking jumper, and a high skillset.

https://twitter.com/Andrew__Slater/s...40952501694467

These pics make them look like middle schoolers. But I just looked them up and they are 6'9" and 6'10". Sheesh.

Bricks? BRICKS??? Is that like metric?

Buzelis is considered a Toni Kukoc style of player. A 6'10" player with purely guard skills. The knocks on him are that he's REALLY skinny, and his shooting form underutilizes his height/length. He shoots from his chest, a really low release point that allows smaller players to contest. Basically the opposite of Matthew Hurt's shooting style.

Bowen is more of a true forward, who is also really lanky at 6'9". He's slightly less skinny than Buzelis, and far less skilled with the ball in his hands. Interestingly, he too has a really low release point on his shot. It's clear why Buzelis is rated higher given his skill set at that height. Not that Bowen is a bad prospect of course; he's still a 5-star guy. Just more of a top-25 guy than a top-5 guy.

Obviously it would be nice to get one or both of these guys. And I'm sure each will fill out a decent amount in the next 1.5 years before arriving on a college campus.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Buzelis is considered a Toni Kukoc style of player. A 6'10" player with purely guard skills. The knocks on him are that he's REALLY skinny, and his shooting form underutilizes his height/length. He shoots from his chest, a really low release point that allows smaller players to contest. Basically the opposite of Matthew Hurt's shooting style.

Bowen is more of a true forward, who is also really lanky at 6'9". He's slightly less skinny than Buzelis, and far less skilled with the ball in his hands. Interestingly, he too has a really low release point on his shot. It's clear why Buzelis is rated higher given his skill set at that height. Not that Bowen is a bad prospect of course; he's still a 5-star guy. Just more of a top-25 guy than a top-5 guy.

Obviously it would be nice to get one or both of these guys. And I'm sure each will fill out a decent amount in the next 1.5 years before arriving on a college campus.
    If only we knew someone who could "coach them up" and work with them like he did with Matthew Hurt between his freshman season, when he too had a low release point, and sophomore year when he didn't.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    If only we knew someone who could "coach them up" and work with them like he did with Matthew Hurt between his freshman season, when he too had a low release point, and sophomore year when he didn't.
    Hurt came to Duke with a high release point. That isn't something the Duke coaches taught him.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Hurt came to Duke with a high release point. That isn't something the Duke coaches taught him.
    Mea cupla. My misremembering.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Hurt also came and went with a slow release.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hurt also came and went with a slow release.
    Despite many, many DBR posts to the contrary.

Any news on Gregory Jackson's recruiting ? Duke offered but I haven't seen any movement for or against a commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Any news on Gregory Jackson's recruiting ? Duke offered but I haven't seen any movement for or against a commitment.
    What I've seen from a few recruiting "experts" is that he appears to be a UNC lean.

Sean Stewart Planning Visit to Duke

Class of 2023 Sean Stewart, a bouncy 6'8" forward from Windmere, Florida, will be making an official visit to Duke the first weekend of November according to Joe Tipton. Stewart is considered a top 25-50 ish player and is part of the Each 1 Teach 1 AAU program. I couldn't find a ton of information out there about Stewart, but I did see him in this highlight video below (#15 in white). Stewart has recently completed official visits to Georgetown, Michigan, and Ohio State and may have also visited Harvard and/or Stanford. The family appears to value education.

Class of 2023 Sean Stewart, a bouncy 6'8" forward from Windmere, Florida, will be making an official visit to Duke the first weekend of November according to Joe Tipton. Stewart is considered a top 25-50 ish player and is part of the Each 1 Teach 1 AAU program. I couldn't find a ton of information out there about Stewart, but I did see him in this highlight video below (#15 in white). Stewart has recently completed official visits to Georgetown, Michigan, and Ohio State and may have also visited Harvard and/or Stanford. The family appears to value education.

We successfully recruited one prior player (that I recall offhand) off of Each 1 Teach 1. That worked out kinda well . . .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    We successfully recruited one prior player (that I recall offhand) off of Each 1 Teach 1. That worked out kinda well . . .
    ... who turned out to be a real Tar Heel killer!

KJ Evans

Team Durant Director of Recruiting reporting that Coaches Scheyer and Smith are in today to visit with 6'9" 5-star KJ Evans of Monteverde Academy. Kentucky is definitely in the mix with him as well. Here's hoping another Team Durant player named Dariq Whitehead can help with this one . . .

Hope we still have a chance with Gregory Jackson from South Carolina. He sounds like a potential Elton Brand Karl Malone power forward. He will likely add weight in the next 2 years.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...jackson-270348