Page 14 of 139 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Proctor Schedules a Visit

Tyrese Proctor, who apparently is taking a long trip to the United States from Australia, will be visiting Duke the weekend of February 12-13. Duke will be hosting Wake Forest that weekend. Proctor is also scheduled to visit Arizona while he's stateside.

https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/s...74880209149954

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's an article on Bronny James, and he and Duke's mutual recruiting interest.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bronny-ja...110238714.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Here's an article on Bronny James, and he and Duke's mutual recruiting interest.

calling Bronny a "phenom" is pretty much over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

I would imagine that the various institutions' handling of NIL will have an outsized impact on Bronny's ultimate choice. Unlike most four-star recruits, Bronny James will be going to college to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I would imagine that the various institutions' handling of NIL will have an outsized impact on Bronny's ultimate choice. Unlike most four-star recruits, Bronny James will be going to college to make money.
    His father is worth hundreds of millions $$$. Maybe Bronny could pick a college based on other parameters?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Totally agree. I saw them play the other night. He's a good prospect, and has certainly improved since the last time I had seen him play. I'll see him again in person this week, but right now he's about the 4th best prospect on his own team.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    His father is worth hundreds of millions $$$. Maybe Bronny could pick a college based on other parameters?
    LeBron has earned over $1B in his career...

So, yeah, I agree with you. Why would Bronny really care about NIL money? His father is one of the wealthiest on the planet...

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    LeBron has earned over $1B in his career...

So, yeah, I agree with you. Why would Bronny really care about NIL money? His father is one of the wealthiest on the planet...
    If there's one thing I've learned about the children of wealthy people, it's that they too like to be wealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned about the children of wealthy people, it's that they too like to be wealthy.
    My impression is that rich kids are generally actively encouraged by Mom & Dad to be independently wealthy. Maybe that doesn't hold for sports stars, I don't know, but King James obviously cares a great deal about his own branding, and I'd be pretty surprised if he hadn't actively instilled that in Jr.

If there's one thing I've learned about wealthy people it's that I don't know anything about wealthy people.

Hahaha, true, but its not like we're talking simply "wealthy", it's multigenerational insane wealth. But you're right that perhaps they want their kids to follow in their footsteps and perhaps branding and the like will be a priority given LeBron's brand.

I saw Bronny and Sierra Canyon in person again last night, this time in a dominating win over Windward. The team is really pretty overwhelming, as they have D-1 prospects all over the floor and coming off the bench. Almost unfair. The best player on the team is 6'5"- 6'6" Amari Bailey, headed to UCLA in the Fall. He is big time, and has an NBA body already.

The truth is Bronny James is about the fifth best player on the team. His body has developed more, and he's obviously athletic. While he has a reputation as a good shooter, he only made I think two jumpshots last night, so while he may in fact be a really good shooter, I personally haven't seen that on display much. What did impress me, again, was his passing. He has excellent court vision, and his athletic ability to make difficult passes on the run and off the dribble, is advanced. Bronny didn't really have a big impact on this game, though, and appeared kinda disinterested at times. Maybe that was because the game wasn't close after the first quarter or so, but other guys -- including Bailey and Mikey Price -- were playing with more intensity than Bronny was. I'd love to see what he looks like when he's really locked in, in a competitive game.

Side note: The most electrifying player in the game was actually Windward's freshman point guard Gavin Hightower. He's a holdback, so who knows what class he'll end up in, but this kid is super. Scoring point guard, lightning quick with a great handle and a willing passer. He made all sorts of difficult twisting shots against Sierra Canyon's overwhelming size and length and athleticism, and handled their pressure pretty much by himself best as could be hoped for. Plays similarly to Ja Morant, and another comp for him would be Dennis Smith, Jr., but more unselfish and a better attitude. Kid is gonna be a star.

I could see Bronny as a welcome addition IF he recognized where he lies on the talent spectrum and doesn't harbor unrealistic expectations. I have no idea if that's likely or even possible...given the talent on his HS team, it may well be.

I could see Bronny as a welcome addition IF he recognized where he lies on the talent spectrum and doesn't harbor unrealistic expectations. I have no idea if that's likely or even possible...given the talent on his HS team, it may well be.
    That's not something I'm worried about with him in the slightest. There's plenty of game tape on the kid, as Sierra Canyon is on television more than the majority of D-1 college teams, and while he's no phenom, he plays the game the right way, like his father, and is unselfish with the basketball. I don't think anyone, including himself expects him to be more than a role player at a school like Duke.

In fact, I'd actually say that his upbringing makes him the perfect multi-year guard at Duke, because he's never been the best player on Sierra Canyon. He's always been the 4th or 5th best player on the floor for his team. He'll be the only guy on the team who has never beaten his dad in a game of 1 on 1. So I believe he would come in with a humble attitude and already be adjusted to a low-usage role on the team.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-02-2022 at 05:24 PM.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Is anyone really gonna take those second two names for their own use? I wouldn't want either of them myself if I was him.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    That's not something I'm worried about with him in the slightest. There's plenty of game tape on the kid, as Sierra Canyon is on television more than the majority of D-1 college teams, and while he's no phenom, he plays the game the right way, like his father, and is unselfish with the basketball. I don't think anyone, including himself expects him to be more than a role player at a school like Duke.

In fact, I'd actually say that his upbringing makes him the perfect multi-year guard at Duke, because he's never been the best player on Sierra Canyon. He's always been the 4th or 5th best player on the floor for his team. He'll be the only guy on the team who has never beaten his dad in a game of 1 on 1. So I believe he would come in with a humble attitude and already be adjusted to a low-usage role on the team.
    I get that...but the question is, would he be happy sitting on the bench? He plays at Sierra Canyon, and it's very possible his time would be limited at a place like Duke, and I just wonder how he'd react to that.

Jared McCain, a 6'2" guard from Corona Calif will be on an official visit this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Jared McCain, a 6'2" guard from Corona Calif will be on an official visit this weekend.
    To clarify, he'll be on campus next week. Duke is going to be in Chapel Hill on Saturday. McCain arrives on Sunday and will be at the Virginia game Monday night.

https://twitter.com/JacobPolacheck/s...02345626951689

To clarify, he'll be on campus next week. Duke is going to be in Chapel Hill on Saturday. McCain arrives on Sunday and will be at the Virginia game Monday night.

https://twitter.com/JacobPolacheck/s...02345626951689
    Hopefully the team will be in a good mood on Sunday.