Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What I saw in Dallas today

* More students than have been to an SMU sporting event since 1986.

* Many, many “ACC!” signs

* At least two “A-C-C!” chants involving both students and others.

I think the attitude in the Bay Area will be similar. Other than the three “no” votes, *everyone* will get a ND-style “glad you are here” welcome.

This has potential to reinvigorate ACC pride, in a weird way.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post

I think the attitude in the Bay Area will be similar. Other than the three “no” votes, *everyone* will get a ND-style “glad you are here” welcome.

Interesting report, thanks. I remember when ACC had conference pride, more than any other conference. ACC invented "conference pride" for the most part...in the 70s and 80s...then I am convinced that Duke hatred, Duke envy, especially from Chapel Hill, destroyed it more than any other factor.

I posted already in another thread that for me, the expansion has greatly reduced conference pride. When you are in a conference that makes no sense, and that will change when ( or before) the next TV contract expires, it is hard to identify with the conference. I am finding that my Duke fandom remains, but my ACC fandom is waning.

Thanks for sharing the observations. They’re here so we might as well welcome the new world. Go ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by FosterCoachK82 View Post
    I posted already in another thread that for me, the expansion has greatly reduced conference pride. When you are in a conference that makes no sense, and that will change when ( or before) the next TV contract expires, it is hard to identify with the conference. I am finding that my Duke fandom remains, but my ACC fandom is waning.
    Yes, I saw that you and others hate and forswear the new ACC. My only point, in contrast, is that others are newly invigorated to support and defend it.

Yes, I saw that you and others hate and forswear the new ACC. My only point, in contrast, is that others are newly invigorated to support and defend it.
    I don’t hate the new ACC. I am coming to realize that it is just not something I want to invest any emotions in.

It makes sense there would be a lot of happiness about it at SMU, given their current and upcoming affiliation. I suspect a lot of people feel as I do, not just in the ACC, but in other conferences as well. Especially the PAC. How is conference pride in the conference of champions?

You have to be kidding. I will never pull for any of them even when they play the Evil Empire. When they play each other in basketball, I will pull for the roof to collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by HPDevil View Post
    You have to be kidding. I will never pull for any of them even when they play the Evil Empire. When they play each other in basketball, I will pull for the roof to collapse.
    Sorry, I’m confused. Who are the “any of them” in your comment?

...I will pull for the roof to collapse.
    I've been there for years.

Thanks for the report. I’m not a big fan of expansions but in today’s landscape expansion equals survival. Good to hear the newbies are excited to be part of our great conference.
    Bob Green

Interesting.

I’ve already told my kids that we are going to the first Duke football at Stanford/Cal and MBB too if we can get reasonable tix.

Wow, we are angry, aren't we? I am not sure why Stanford, Cal, and SMU are seen as Nazi swine when they were just trying to survive. And anyone who will root for the Holes over Stanford or Cal should clearly lose their Duke fan credibility certificate. Really??

Quote Originally Posted by clinresga View Post
    Wow, we are angry, aren't we? I am not sure why Stanford, Cal, and SMU are seen as Nazi swine when they were just trying to survive. And anyone who will root for the Holes over Stanford or Cal should clearly lose their Duke fan credibility certificate. Really??
    Sort Out Her Priorities.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I've been there for years.
    That's why we don't call it a comeback.

That's weird, it's not their fault that this is the way college sports are going. I'm more than happy yo have Stanford, Cal, and SMU. While not quite the excitement of the last ACC expansion, it will at least add some new blood and expand the footprint of people who follow the ACC.

Now we just need to add UCONN, get ND to be a full time member, and maybe bring Rice along to be an SMU rival. Duke could have easily been SMU or Rice if it hadn't been for Vic Bubas.

Quote Originally Posted by mo.st.dukie View Post
    That's weird, it's not their fault that this is the way college sports are going. I'm more than happy yo have Stanford, Cal, and SMU. While not quite the excitement of the last ACC expansion, it will at least add some new blood and expand the footprint of people who follow the ACC.

Now we just need to add UCONN, get ND to be a full time member, and maybe bring Rice along to be an SMU rival. Duke could have easily been SMU or Rice if it hadn't been for Vic Bubas.
    Sorry... but I think I'm not alone on this... I don't want to be associated with uconn... ever

You must be confused with the other conference realignment thread where my acceptance of this new conference membership was literally compared to Nazi appeasement.

I swear, I thought I care about sports. But some of y'all really need to take deep breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the report. I’m not a big fan of expansions but in today’s landscape expansion equals survival. Good to hear the newbies are excited to be part of our great conference.
    A reasoned voice as usual, speaking for many (though clearly not all) of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    You must be confused with the other conference realignment thread where my acceptance of this new conference membership was literally compared to Nazi appeasement.

I swear, I thought I care about sports. But some of y'all really need to take deep breaths.
    As dlmzzz illustrated, this is where in the old days we would have said "get a life." As for appeasement, Stanford/Cal/SMU are not the enemy. It's the NCAA.

And UNC. Remember we never never never root for UNCheat. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    That's why we don't call it a comeback.
    Thing is, I've been pulling for a roof collapse, a tactical nuke, or some similar event for quite some time. Always to disappointing effect. I was in the Kingdome in '94, the weekend before the tiles fell from the roof.

As for appeasement, Stanford/Cal/SMU are not the enemy. It's the NCAA.

And UNC. Remember we never never never root for UNCheat. Ever.
    As was kindly pointed out to me in the other thread, it isn't the NCAA. This is the conferences themselves being opportunistic. One might say this is capitalism run amok.

What I want as a consumer is some way to ensure that none of my $ go to the B1G or The Longhorn Network.