Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    10) There is now a huge huge problem for the MCU... they have a time machine. So, any time something bad happens, they will need to explain why they should not just go back in time to fix it. They really need to come up with some explanation for why time travel cannot be used any more or it could become an issue.
    But they don't have a time machine any more. It was destroyed when Thanos' ship flew threw it, and then Thanos nuked the building it was in.

And as they told us in the beginning of the movie, Tony Stark is the only brain on the planet capable of solving the time travel problem and building a working time machine. And now he's dead.

"But wait a minute...wouldn't Tony have left, you know, blueprints or a flash drive with an instruction manual for building the time machine on it?"

Yeah, probably -- but again, any copies of the plans for building the time machine that were kept at the Avengers' compound (whether paper files, stored on computer drives, or otherwise) also would've been destroyed when Thanos obliterated it.

So the only disbelief we really have to suspend is the notion that Tony wouldn't have backed up the plans somewhere offsite, which I guess strains credulity a little. But then again, it's a film series about superheros battling a genocidal alien, so...
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    But they don't have a time machine any more. It was destroyed when Thanos' ship flew threw it, and then Thanos nuked the building it was in.
    Hang on... at the very end of the movie, they send Cap back in time and then are shocked when he does not return 5 seconds later. They clearly still have a time machine. Hulk was operating it at the end of the movie.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hang on... at the very end of the movie, they send Cap back in time and then are shocked when he does not return 5 seconds later. They clearly still have a time machine. Hulk was operating it at the end of the movie.

<Facepalm>

Oh yeah. Duh. Never mind.

Maybe something on it will break and nobody will know how to fix it?
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

So in Infinity War, when Thanos recognizes Iron Man and says that he's "cursed with knowledge"... it's because Thanos already knows at that point that he's going to be beheaded by Thor after the Snap, which will eventually be reversed. Right?

I was terrified when Thanos said his plan was to remake the universe where no one remembered what happened... that sounded like the perfect set-up to rebooting the MCU, which would have been a horrible ending. Good on them for not going that route, and for keeping Vision, Loki, Heimdall, and Black Widow from being resurrected for the final battle.

I guess Captain Marvel, Spiderman, and Black Panther become the center of the MCU for the next decade? That would make a fun team-up for the core of the eventual Avengers 5.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Just saw it and could hardly wait to read this thread. WOW!

"I am inevitable."

"I am Iron Man."..."SNAP"

WOW!

As so many of you have said, it is a lot to take in. I get the geekdom of questioning all the variables, but I am choosing not to overthink it and just enjoy the ride. I am fine with not understanding every detail.

I do wish I had known not to wait through the credits. I won't do it, but I believe that would be a worthy public service announcement in the non-spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I guess Captain Marvel, Spiderman, and Black Panther become the center of the MCU for the next decade? .

Blade joins the Avengers next.

so, i've just seen the film. Still processing it. I don't allow myself to wallow to deeply into the time travel rabbit hole. It's a movie. There are very creative minds at work, figuring out how to make it plausible, as well as meeting the needs of the heroes. (and villians) As a mechanical engineer, i don't have to work out the calculations to guess which size wrench to use...I just trust my instinct. There are some many wormholes in making it fit the narrative, i'll just go with what they came up with...

i was disappointed that Capt Marvel wasn't dealt a larger, more interwoven part. She seemed sufficiently powerful, yet oddly removed from the emotional thread of group. I suppose that, since she was "executive vp of azz-kicking" for the entire universe, she couldn't really delegate the time, nor the proper character entanglements of this one-off battle to save earth. I loved her new haircut.

if you didn't cry during this movie, maybe this isn't the kind of movie you should be spending your money on.

so, the kid....at the end..Harley Keener....biggest tease of the entire trilogy...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Saw it. Loved it.

One question, though... at the end, who opened all the portals that brought everyone back? Nobody was wearing the gauntlet, sooo...?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    One question, though... at the end, who opened all the portals that brought everyone back? Nobody was wearing the gauntlet, sooo...?
    Dr. Strange, Wong, and other sorcerers.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Dr. Strange, Wong, and other sorcerers.
    So they were brought back by Hulk snapping, and then they portaled everyone in?

BTW, as some people have said... Thanos without a stone was simply too powerful when he took on Cap, Thor, and Iron Man. The Mad Titan is a beast, but...

And I have to admit, with all the jumping around, I was a LITTLE sad that Kate Blanchett didn't come back for a bit. I loved the original Infinity War story, and was sad that A) Death never came into the story, and B) that we never got a modern version of the "Everyone vs Thanos with the gauntlet" moment where he beats everyone.

Also a little sad that Thanos didn't end up sort of undermining himself, like he did in the comic, unless I guess him giving it all up at the end of Infinity War/beginning of End Game was sort of that? I always liked that the comic ended with Thanos not being an ultimate villain.

New SpiderMan trailer (with Tom Holland spoiler warning for Endgame) just dropped.

I am so unused to seeing gif responses on this forum that I laughed out loud, and promptly disrupted my students who are hard at work on a state test Thanks a lot, Jason

...and they knew where to go and what to do because Strange told them what needed to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    New SpiderMan trailer (with Tom Holland spoiler warning for Endgame) just dropped.

Ok...Far From home just became an interesting movie! Time for our little Tom Holland to grow up.

This looks great! I admit that I have not seen Endgame, but I actually do like spoilers. Not being an expert in MCU, all of the spoiler posts will help me understand what is going on when I see it.

Seen it twice now, second time in IMAX. Much better in IMAX. Agree with consensus of comments here, overall well done. Fitting wrap up with Iron Man the star. Grabbed you from the beginning with the Hawkeye scenario, agree Captain Marvel was an odd bookend performance. Fantasy football fans will recognize the Matthew Berry cameo, and there is the one Duke connection.

Finally got around to watching this movie. It's been difficult to steer clear of spoilers. I overheard one conversation between two women: one who had seen it, one who had not, and both more interested in bathroom breaks than the plot. The advice was to go during the trailers, when Hulk eats lunch, and when you see the title card "New Jersey". Having seen the film now -- all of it, without leaving for the bathroom -- I agree with skipping the Hulk scene. It's fine but non-essential. The New Jersey sequence, by comparison, was pretty important. You get the cats-in-the-cradle stuff with Howard and Tony Stark, and you learn where the extra Pym particle vials come from. Also, I kept thinking they were using the Hidden Figures NASA hallway when Captain America prank calls Hank Pym.

I feel the discussion here about best trilogies is misdirected, and not just because the Avengers is not a trilogy. The discussion should be about best final films in a series. I had a hard time applying words like "good" or "bad" to this film because it is more properly evaluated by how well it ends the series. It does the job, and a whole lot better than I expected. It tells its own story, includes a variation on a previous story, creates a mostly satisfying resolution, and saves a small surprise for the end. I don't know if I was moved by it all the way others are, but I was less invested in the MCU series, having taken the Thanos approach and seen only half of the films.

Time travel movies require a certain suspension of disbelief, if only to avoid getting bogged down and/or a headache. I do have a few questions about the outer space sisters:

1) What happened to 2014 Gamora? Did she vanish when Tony snapped his fingers, along with Thanos and the other interlopers? She doesn't belong in that time. We don't see her on the Guardians ship, and she's not discussed.

2) Did 2023 Nebula know that Black Widow and Hawkeye would face a sacrificial dilemma to retrieve the soul stone?

3) Wouldn't 2023 Nebula cease to exist when she kills 2014 Nebula? A mild spoiler, but something analogous happens in The Lego Movie 2, and they even mention sticking to Back to the Future logic.

Speaking of Back to the Future, it would have been funny if Scott Lang suddenly saw two pine trees outside the window instead of one.
    Last edited by brevity; 05-14-2019 at 02:02 AM.