Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

DBR Podcast Episode 159: Stanley and Hurt commit

Here to tell you all about our new recruits and ask for your favorite streetball commentary examples for my own personal research.

Links:

iTunes
    Google Play
    Soundcloud
    Stitcher

Timestamps:

0:00 - Duke Band welcomes you!
    0:11 - Jason welcomes us to Episode 159. We’re all happy that recruiting is once again a success
    0:42 - Thanks to our sponsor, Byrd Campbell!
    1:05 - Sam’s drinking tea to all the haters who thought our recruiting was done
    2:11 - We discuss the commitments of Matthew Hurt and Cassius Stanley
    3:43 - Donald compares Matthew Hurt to Dirk Nowitzki and says he will be extremely versatile
    6:05 - Jason comments on Hurt’s 3 point shooting ability, but needs to get stronger
    8:01 - Sam thinks Hurt will need the Cookout Diet, but his length will open things up on offense à la Kyle Singler
    10:28 - Sam shifts into discussion of Cassius Stanley, and thinks he will be a good complementary piece for Duke
    12:18 - Jason talks about Stanley’s shooting improvement, but his game is slashing and athleticism
    15:55 - Donald continues the Stanley discussion, noting his impression that he can drive in the lane with control and create shots
    17:46 - Sam calls back to a great recruiting thread from a couple years ago that discusses minutes in relation to status in recruiting class (forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/sh…s+minutes)
    18:56 - Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden declare for NBA Draft, but Jason notes they could be back
    20:07 - Donald agrees that it’s a wise move for them to test the waters and get the NBA feedback
    22:03 - Sam notes that Bolden and DeLaurier has the Duke machine that can help them through the process
    23:47 - Jason and Donald comment that some Duke guys who didn’t have NBA futures have ended up in the league
    24:50 - Thanks as always to our sponsors, Byrd Campbell!
    25:27 - Time to discuss what the roster could look like, and we start with an email from a great fan in Madrid
    26:56 - Sam - Other than Vernon Carey getting 25 minutes, Tre Jones starting, and Jack White being a captain, there’s not much we know for sure about this team
    28:41 - Jason thinks Tre Jones will be a captain, but Sam points out only Greg Paulus and Josh McRoberts have been sophomore captains
    30:20 - Sam thinks the bench will be extended this year; Jason thinks that Coach K will go to the hot hand
    33:20 - Donald discusses the balance of the team - lots of freshmen, but lots of upperclassmen as well
    34:15 - Donald - lot of guys on the team that have played big minutes. That leadership will be key
    36:25 - Sam discusses the defense and who will step up alongside Tre Jones
    39:16 - Jason reiterates that Coach K will find the best players and play them a lot
    40:30 - Donald - practices will be super competitive with so many guys fighting for those minutes
    42:20 - Parting Shots - Donald recaps the awards given out at the annual basketball banquet
    45:00 - Parting Shots - Sam begins the longest parting shot ever by starting with the pronunciation guide on the Duke Basketball roster page
    47:20 - Parting Shots - Sam continues by lamenting he’s not at the Nationals-Rockies game
    48:28 - Parting Shots - Sam recaps the speech Coach K gave to Fuqua as part of the Distinguished Leaders series
    50:00 - Parting Shots - Sam celebrates Fuqua’s win over UNC in the Blue Cup
    55:00 - Parting Shots - Jason discusses all the Blue Devils all over the NBA Playoffs and has a fascinating stat about Kyrie Irving
    59:28 - Parting Shots - Sam has ONE MORE parting shot, this time about him calling the Fuqua 1st year vs. 2nd year basketball game
    1:00:45 - Goodbye and Duke Band…don’t forget to subscribe!
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Aw man, we totally need a thread just for trash talk phrases that Sam can use while announcing. I’m assuming you’re going to be on the court trailing the action like in the And-1 mix tour? Anyways, I’ll start things off:

- Yo first years, tell me how my a— taste!

- The secret service couldn’t guard me!

- Anything from NBA Jam (Boom shakalaka, He’s on fire, etc.)

- Go back to Fuquay, you got no business on this court!

- I’m gonna block you like the FCC

- You just got shut down like the federal government

Recruiting Rankings

Here is Kedsy's old post about how recruiting rankings and experience tend to predict playing time.

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...nkings+minutes
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup wherever podcasts are given away for free!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Aw man, we totally need a thread just for trash talk phrases that Sam can use while announcing. I’m assuming you’re going to be on the court trailing the action like in the And-1 mix tour? Anyways, I’ll start things off:

- Yo first years, tell me how my a— taste!

- The secret service couldn’t guard me!

- Anything from NBA Jam (Boom shakalaka, He’s on fire, etc.)

- Go back to Fuquay, you got no business on this court!

- I’m gonna block you like the FCC

- You just got shut down like the federal government
    This is exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for.

I'll be commenting in support of the first-years, and we have a second-year who will also be on the mic. Our job is primarily to trash the other team's players.