Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, "lost" might be a bit much but you will certainly miss a lot lot lot of references to previous events. Did you see Avengers: Infinity War? I would say that film as well as one or two other are sorta mandatory to getting what is happening here. I will name the other two in spoiler text.

Aside from those two, there are small references or little moments that pull from previous films (for example, at one point Iron Man talks about how he wanted to put a shield around the planet and someone comments, "Look at how that turned out" in reference to Ultron) but nothing too huge.

Tell ya what... in spoiler text I will list every film from the MCU and note how much you need to know about it (from 1 to 10) to appreciate some reference in Endgame.
    Thanks, Jason, that is helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    And yes, the majority of the movie-going public has seen most of the Marvel movies. I sense that you guys aren't understanding what a phenomenon these movies are. If you haven't seen them, then you aren't the audience for this movie.
    I highly doubt that. The biggest box office was Black Panther (or Avengers I, adjusted for inflation) at ~$700M (domestic) and the 11th highest of the 21 (Iron Man 2) was about half that, adjusted, and the bottom third made less than a third of that (source). So I don't see how you get to a "majority of the movie-going public" for "most" of the movies.

Or, to put it another way, the avg ticket price in 2018 was $9.11, so about 77M tickets were sold for Black Panther. That's a lot, but 263M people saw at least one movie in 2018 (source), so even if you assume none of the 77M Black Panther tickets were repeats (obviously not the case), it's still only 29% of the people who went to the movies that year, for the biggest Marvel movie. It also doesn't change much if you eliminate only "infrequent" moviegoers.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    Thanks, Jason, that is helpful!

I highly doubt that. The biggest box office was Black Panther (or Avengers I, adjusted for inflation) at ~$700M (domestic) and the 11th highest of the 21 (Iron Man 2) was about half that, adjusted, and the bottom third made less than a third of that (source). So I don't see how you get to a "majority of the movie-going public" for "most" of the movies.

Or, to put it another way, the avg ticket price in 2018 was $9.11, so about 77M tickets were sold for Black Panther. That's a lot, but 263M people saw at least one movie in 2018 (source), so even if you assume none of the 77M Black Panther tickets were repeats (obviously not the case), it's still only 29% of the people who went to the movies that year, for the biggest Marvel movie. It also doesn't change much if you eliminate only "infrequent" moviegoers.
    Hm, while I may have overstated, I’d be sure to include watching post-theatre in there. For example, I did not see Black Panther in theaters. Also, I’m not sure seeing one movie a year makes you a moviegoer... one movie a year makes you my 77 year old mother

Either way, I definitely disagree with your insinutation that the movie having so many callbacks may hurt it’s bottom line or the quality of the film, or that “most” people who are potential viewers haven’t seen the majority of the Marvel movies. At this point, I think many, many, MANY people have seen a lot of Marvel movies, and know enough that the movie will be enjoyable for them. People who definitely weren’t going to see the movie won’t see it... people who love Marvel movies will definitely see it... and I think people who are vaguely curious will likely see it too. Given that it is the acknowledged wrap up of ten years of movies, I think it would have been rather strange for the studio to do anything else.
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 04-25-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hm, while I may have overstated, I’d be sure to include watching post-theatre in there. For example, I did not see Black Panther in theaters. Also, I’m not sure seeing one movie a year makes you a moviegoer... one movie a year makes you my 77 year old mother

Either way, I definitely disagree with your insinutation that the movie having so many callbacks may hurt it’s bottom line or the quality of the film, or that “most” people who are potential viewers haven’t seen the majority of the Marvel movies. At this point, I think many, many, MANY people have seen a lot of Marvel movies, and know enough that the movie will be enjoyable for them. People who definitely weren’t going to see the movie won’t see it... people who love Marvel movies will definitely see it... and I think people who are vaguely curious will likely see it too.
    Callbacks/fan service, what have you are a double edged sword. I was having a conversation with a friend who is a huge Star Wars fan about The Force Awakens and all the little homages JJ Abrams included. Her point was that big fans of movies/books/franchises do enjoy little "in jokes" but that many times (especially with TFA) they beat you over the head with things, making it no fun. In other words, "fans" want to be able to nudge each other and wink about an obscure reference both of them get, without having the movie spell it out and point to it with both hands. It sort of ruins the fun.
    I would say the most recent episode of Game of Thrones walked this line as well. Lots of callbacks to previous seasons and "fan service" in regards to romantic pairings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Callbacks/fan service, what have you are a double edged sword. I was having a conversation with a friend who is a huge Star Wars fan about The Force Awakens and all the little homages JJ Abrams included. Her point was that big fans of movies/books/franchises do enjoy little "in jokes" but that many times (especially with TFA) they beat you over the head with things, making it no fun. In other words, "fans" want to be able to nudge each other and wink about an obscure reference both of them get, without having the movie spell it out and point to it with both hands. It sort of ruins the fun.
    I would say the most recent episode of Game of Thrones walked this line as well. Lots of callbacks to previous seasons and "fan service" in regards to romantic pairings.
    Hm, I suppose that is one approach. But I'd say references to stories that came before can actually be rather important and meaningful, and don't necessarily have to be relegated to "easter egg" status. My guess is that actual storyline stuff from previous Marvel movies play a role in the actual plot of this one.

Seems the critics aren't the only ones enjoying this film. Post-track reports 83% of people who saw it opening night say they will definitely recommend it to their friends. That is a biiiig number.

I believe a $300 mil weekend is possible. Theaters are basically cancelled other films so they can show nothing but this movie. There is an AMC theater in New York that has 8 screens and is showing Endgame on all 10 of them round the clock, every half hour. Apparently the 330am and 430am showings are the only ones that have not sold out thus far. Wow!

-Jason "I think repeat business is going to be really strong too. I know someone who has tickets to the noon and 4pm showings today (took the day off from work)... back-to-back baby!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

... There is an AMC theater in New York that has 8 screens and is showing Endgame on all 10 of them round the clock, every half hour. ... Evans
    That is the way to make money!

Wait, how is that physically possible?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Wait, how is that physically possible?
    Split screens...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Kevin McCarthy, another movie reviewer I like, recommended seeing at least Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War. He said previously that Captain America 1 was a good one to see for this as well.

Excited to be able to join the spoiler thread in about five hours.
    Still spoiler free!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Kevin McCarthy, another movie reviewer I like, recommended seeing at least Avengers 1, Winter Soldier, Civil War, and Infinity War. He said previously that Captain America 1 was a good one to see for this as well.
    That's a pretty good list IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Excited to be able to join the spoiler thread in about five hours.
    Still spoiler free!
    I'm waiting until the 1st in order to contribute to the summer movie contest

So, "lost" might be a bit much but you will certainly miss a lot lot lot of references to previous events. Did you see Avengers: Infinity War? I would say that film as well as one or two other are sorta mandatory to getting what is happening here. I will name the other two in spoiler text.

Spoiler!

Aside from those two, there are small references or little moments that pull from previous films (for example, at one point Iron Man talks about how he wanted to put a shield around the planet and someone comments, "Look at how that turned out" in reference to Ultron) but nothing too huge.

Tell ya what... in spoiler text I will list every film from the MCU and note how much you need to know about it (from 1 to 10) to appreciate some reference in Endgame.

Spoiler!

-Jason "like I said... can't wait to talk spoilers with all y'all" Evans
    Ant-Man and The Wasp and then I am done...

I used this order to navigate the films: https://www.amctheatres.com/amc-scen...ewatch-the-mcu

And I skipped Captain Marvel and the early Hulk film.

Anyone else who has been wildly patient like me can rent for $5 on Amazon tonight.

Anyone else who has been wildly patient like me can rent for $5 on Amazon tonight.
    Hah ! It won't be Amazon, it'll be Google Play and it won't be tonight, it'll be Friday night. But, yeah, I'm there. As my wife has come to learn, I have a very, very low threshold for when various distractions move from background noise to completely derailing my focus. Suffice to say, the modern movie going experience with its cell phone screens and texting dings and whisperers and titterers and gigglers and OMGers and toe-tappers and slovenly popcorn masticate-rs and coke slurpers and everything else isn't great for me.

If I were to see a movie in the theaters though, it would be something like Avengers which I assume is so loud and action-packed as to dull the sea of squawking cretins around me.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah ! It won't be Amazon, it'll be Google Play and it won't be tonight, it'll be Friday night. But, yeah, I'm there. As my wife has come to learn, I have a very, very low threshold for when various distractions move from background noise to completely derailing my focus. Suffice to say, the modern movie going experience with its cell phone screens and texting dings and whisperers and titterers and gigglers and OMGers and toe-tappers and slovenly popcorn masticate-rs and coke slurpers and everything else isn't great for me.

If I were to see a movie in the theaters though, it would be something like Avengers which I assume is so loud and action-packed as to dull the sea of squawking cretins around me.
    My wife is having back issues and zonked on meds earlier. Perfect opportunity to watch something she has no interest in.

My wife is having back issues and zonked on meds earlier. Perfect opportunity to watch something she has no interest in.
    Enjoy! I've actually been pretty successful at avoiding spoilers so far despite it's cultural ubiquity so looking forward to it.

Hope the wife is on the mend.

Enjoy! I've actually been pretty successful at avoiding spoilers so far despite it's cultural ubiquity so looking forward to it.

Hope the wife is on the mend.
    Honestly, feckless Will Cain ruined it for me on my way home from work one day. Just like, recklessly. Ugh.

I tried to blast my brain with fake spoilers, but it didn't work at all.

and coke slurpers...
    No coke, Pepsi.

Surprisingly good! Even with all the hype and some serious spoilers, it's pretty well done. I felt the pace was fine, even though it had a long run time, that felt appropriately epic given the massive conclusion to the first Avengers storylines.

Now I have to go find the spoilers thread I guess.