Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Avengers: Endgame (no spoilers here!!)

Yeah, this will need its own thread.

I am seeing the film in about 6 1/2 hours and will let all of you know my thoughts after it is over.

In the mean time, lots of folks who were at the world premiere last night were tweeting after it ended. If you follow this link you can read some of their thoughts. Nothing anywhere close to a spoiler in this link, so it is safe to read.

If there is one overall theme that everyone seems to talk about it is that the film is incredibly emotional with many folks saying they cried multiple times. Lots of the tweets call it the best film in the entire MCU, which is some heady praise.

-Jason "I am now suitably geeked up to see this flick!!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Avengers may have a hard time beating Thanos, but it is nothing compared to my journey to avoid spoilers until the middle of next week when I can see the movie.

Final prediction is that all 6 original heroes are donezo. There needs to be some sort of heavy emotional cost to saving half the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    The Avengers may have a hard time beating Thanos, but it is nothing compared to my journey to avoid spoilers until the middle of next week when I can see the movie.

Final prediction is that all 6 original heroes are donezo. There needs to be some sort of heavy emotional cost to saving half the universe.
    My prediction, the Avengers win...but at a cost. New heroes will step up and continue to protect the Earth, err I mean protect the bottom line for Marvel and Disney.

I didn't think I could get more hyped about the movie, but reading those reviews has me contemplating freezing myself for the next 3 days similar to when Cartman froze himself waiting for the Wii to come out... 10am Friday can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I didn't think I could get more hyped about the movie, but reading those reviews has me contemplating freezing myself for the next 3 days similar to when Cartman froze himself waiting for the Wii to come out... 10am Friday can't come soon enough.

Or, you could read/drink more Ymm, Beer...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wowowowowowowowowowowow!!!

First of all, do a Dukie a solid and check out the podcast we recorded seconds after stepping out of the movie: https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-151762463

The pod and my comments here will be 100% spoiler-free. I saw this movie without knowing what was going to happen and you should too.

I want to start by praising the courage of Kevin Feigie and the folks at Marvel for making this movie. The story they tell is an incredibly audacious one and if they had not pulled it off just right it could have been an utter disaster. But, by taking risks and trusting the audience they have pulled off something truly spectacular. I know part of this next statement is the fact that I am still deconstructing the film in my head and that I am suffering from some recency bias, but I think this may be the best sci-fi action movie I have ever seen.

It is important to note that the movie requires you to be more than just passingly familiar with the MCU. There are callbacks and references to characters and events that touch on at least 16 or 18 of the previous MCU films. In many ways, this is not the conclusion of the Infinity War saga, it feels like an end to everything Marvel has done in the previous 21 movies. The dudes who came up with this story deserve a medal!

Part of the courage it took to make this flick comes in the fact that they do not waste time with exposition bombs or other ways of holding the audience's hand. They count on you to follow what is going on and why it is meaningful. They had to do it that way because there is a ton ton ton of stuff to fit into this story. The movie is 3-hours long but is not at all bloated. There were one or two small scenes in the first half that might have been trimmed, but there is no way I could see making this film anything less than 2:45 in running time and the film never drags. The screening for critics was at 1pm and, in order to get off my real work job in time to make it to the screening I had to wake up at 4am today. I was sure that sitting in a darkened theater for 3 hours would result in me falling asleep at some point. Well, I never came close to nodding off. I was riveted to the screen for the entire duration.

One final note -- this is not a traditional comic book movie. The first two hours are sorta a heist film but there is very little action. In fact, the first 2 hours feel more like a straight emotional drama (and several scenes pack a real wallop). Then, they completely turn it on its head in the last hour, going with a stunning action set piece that lasts for at least 45 minutes and leaves you slack-jawed over and over again. I am not someone who ordinarily sees movies twice in theaters but I cannot wait to see Endgame again. The final hour is magnificent and powerful with moment after moment that had the entire theater gasping and cheering.

If you like comic book movies, if you have seen more than half of the MCU, go see it... heck go see it twice. The folks at Marvel deserve to make all the money this summer for their remarkable conclusion to the most successful franchise in cinematic history.

-Jason "in the next 24 hours I am going to start a spoiler thread because I cannot wait to talk about some of the amazing stuff that happens in the film with all of y'all" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

It is important to note that the movie requires you to be more than just passingly familiar with the MCU. There are callbacks and references to characters and events that touch on at least 16 or 18 of the previous MCU films. In many ways, this is not the conclusion of the Infinity War saga, it feels like an end to everything Marvel has done in the previous 21 movies. The dudes who came up with this story deserve a medal!
    Well at least I know re-watching the entire MCU over the past 3 weeks will have been worth it.

You would think ABC's Jimmy Kimmel Live! would enjoy the corporate advantage, but The Tonight Show comes on strong:

Jason,
    Is the sound track great? Have the opportunity to see it in a state of the art sound and screen theater. Is it comparable to the last Avengers movie or better yet Mad Max:Fury Road?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I am not someone who ordinarily sees movies twice in theaters but I cannot wait to see Endgame again.
    Guessing my vote in the top 5 is safe then.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It is important to note that the movie requires you to be more than just passingly familiar with the MCU. There are callbacks and references to characters and events that touch on at least 16 or 18 of the previous MCU films.

...If you like comic book movies, if you have seen more than half of the MCU, go see it... heck go see it twice.
    So, this is my concern about this movie, from listening to the podcast, looking at early reviews, etc. I'm sure it's great if you've seen all 21 previous Marvel movies, but how good is it if you've seen only 12, or 8, or 3? If I'm guessing correctly what these "call-backs" consist of, then they might not mean much if you haven't seen what the call-back refers to. Are they really going to make $1B domestically if the movie relies too much on this, cuz I don't think most people have seen a majority of the MCU films. Personally, I haven't seen many of the most recent ones, and this is the 10th movie in just the last 3 years (1 a year I can keep up with easily, 3 is a bit much).

100+ reviews are in on Rotten Tomatoes and it has a 97% score... because there are 4 jerks who just can't enjoy nice things.

It is at 78 on Metacritic, which is a really high score. That makes it 4th highest among all comic book movies on Metacritic behind Black Panther (88), Spiderman 2 (83), and the first Iron Man (79) film.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    So, this is my concern about this movie, from listening to the podcast, looking at early reviews, etc. I'm sure it's great if you've seen all 21 previous Marvel movies, but how good is it if you've seen only 12, or 8, or 3? If I'm guessing correctly what these "call-backs" consist of, then they might not mean much if you haven't seen what the call-back refers to. Are they really going to make $1B domestically if the movie relies too much on this, cuz I don't think most people have seen a majority of the MCU films. Personally, I haven't seen many of the most recent ones, and this is the 10th movie in just the last 3 years (1 a year I can keep up with easily, 3 is a bit much).
    This is my question also. I have seen 2 of the MCU movies (Guardians). How lost would I be in this one?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    This is my question also. I have seen 2 of the MCU movies (Guardians). How lost would I be in this one?
    Woof, I haven't seen it, but I wouldn't TOUCH it without seeing at LEAST...

Iron Man
    Thor
    Avengers 1
    Captain America: Civil War
    Thor: Ragnarok
    Black Panther
    Infinity War

This is not some random movie; it is literally the wrap up of 20+ movies, and involves maybe the largest cast this side of Game of Thrones. Just like I wouldn't start watching Game of Thrones halfway through season 8, I wouldn't touch this movie without watching a number of movies that lead up to it.

And yes, the majority of the movie-going public has seen most of the Marvel movies. I sense that you guys aren't understanding what a phenomenon these movies are. If you haven't seen them, then you aren't the audience for this movie.

First of all, do a Dukie a solid and check out the podcast we recorded seconds after stepping out of the movie: https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-151762463

The pod and my comments here will be 100% spoiler-free. I saw this movie without knowing what was going to happen and you should too.

I want to start by praising the courage of Kevin Feigie and the folks at Marvel for making this movie. The story they tell is an incredibly audacious one and if they had not pulled it off just right it could have been an utter disaster. But, by taking risks and trusting the audience they have pulled off something truly spectacular. I know part of this next statement is the fact that I am still deconstructing the film in my head and that I am suffering from some recency bias, but I think this may be the best sci-fi action movie I have ever seen.

Part of the courage it took to make this flick comes in the fact that they do not waste time with exposition bombs or other ways of holding the audience's hand. They count on you to follow what is going on and why it is meaningful. They had to do it that way because there is a ton ton ton of stuff to fit into this story. The movie is 3-hours long but is not at all bloated. There were one or two small scenes in the first half that might have been trimmed, but there is no way I could see making this film anything less than 2:45 in running time and the film never drags. The screening for critics was at 1pm and, in order to get off my real work job in time to make it to the screening I had to wake up at 4am today. I was sure that sitting in a darkened theater for 3 hours would result in me falling asleep at some point. Well, I never came close to nodding off. I was riveted to the screen for the entire duration.

One final note -- this is not a traditional comic book movie. The first two hours are sorta a heist film but there is very little action. In fact, the first 2 hours feel more like a straight emotional drama (and several scenes pack a real wallop). Then, they completely turn it on its head in the last hour, going with a stunning action set piece that lasts for at least 45 minutes and leaves you slack-jawed over and over again. I am not someone who ordinarily sees movies twice in theaters but I cannot wait to see Endgame again. The final hour is magnificent and powerful with moment after moment that had the entire theater gasping and cheering.

If you like comic book movies, if you have seen more than half of the MCU, go see it... heck go see it twice. The folks at Marvel deserve to make all the money this summer for their remarkable conclusion to the most successful franchise in cinematic history.

-Jason "in the next 24 hours I am going to start a spoiler thread because I cannot wait to talk about some of the amazing stuff that happens in the film with all of y'all" Evans

Cage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    So, "lost" might be a bit much but you will certainly miss a lot lot lot of references to previous events. Did you see Avengers: Infinity War? I would say that film as well as one or two other are sorta mandatory to getting what is happening here. I will name the other two in spoiler text.

Spoiler!

Aside from those two, there are small references or little moments that pull from previous films (for example, at one point Iron Man talks about how he wanted to put a shield around the planet and someone comments, "Look at how that turned out" in reference to Ultron) but nothing too huge.

Tell ya what... in spoiler text I will list every film from the MCU and note how much you need to know about it (from 1 to 10) to appreciate some reference in Endgame.

Spoiler!

-Jason "like I said... can't wait to talk spoilers with all y'all" Evans

So, "lost" might be a bit much but you will certainly miss a lot lot lot of references to previous events. Did you see Avengers: Infinity War? I would say that film as well as one or two other are sorta mandatory to getting what is happening here. I will name the other two in spoiler text.

Spoiler!

Aside from those two, there are small references or little moments that pull from previous films (for example, at one point Iron Man talks about how he wanted to put a shield around the planet and someone comments, "Look at how that turned out" in reference to Ultron) but nothing too huge.

Tell ya what... in spoiler text I will list every film from the MCU and note how much you need to know about it (from 1 to 10) to appreciate some reference in Endgame.

Spoiler!

-Jason "like I said... can't wait to talk spoilers with all y'all" Evans
    First off, again, thanks for writing it up, Jason... I can't listen to a podcast at work and pretend I am working, but I CAN read your posts!

Second, thanks for the breakdown. Interested to see that you have an early MCU movie there at an 8... my wife recently expressed interest in the Marvel movies, and that was not one I had her watch. I can guess (looking at some photos and rumors) why that one is important, sort of... I feel like she has a good feel for who the main character IS from Avengers 1 and Civil War and Infinity War, but not that characters historical backstory, which might end up being important... should I fill her in on that backstory in a bit more detail, I suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    First off, again, thanks for writing it up, Jason... I can't listen to a podcast at work and pretend I am working, but I CAN read your posts!

Second, thanks for the breakdown. Interested to see that you have an early MCU movie there at an 8... my wife recently expressed interest in the Marvel movies, and that was not one I had her watch. I can guess (looking at some photos and rumors) why that one is important, sort of... I feel like she has a good feel for who the main character IS from Avengers 1 and Civil War and Infinity War, but not that characters historical backstory, which might end up being important... should I fill her in on that backstory in a bit more detail, I suppose?
    Really hard to answer without spoilers... I think folks can understand what is happening without seeing the movie we are talking about and even if you tried to explain the film to her, the important stuff to reference is probably not what you would explain. I will merely say that the important parts actually come before that movie even happens... if that makes any sense.

Lean over and whisper in your wife’s ear at times and Endgame should be fine... but you are going to get more out of the movie than she is.

Jason “hope none of this is a spoiler... I’m trying” Evans

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Really hard to answer without spoilers... I think folks can understand what is happening without seeing the movie we are talking about and even if you tried to explain the film to her, the important stuff to reference is probably not what you would explain. I will merely say that the important parts actually come before that movie even happens... if that makes any sense.

Lean over and whisper in your wife’s ear at times and Endgame should be fine... but you are going to get more out of the movie than she is.

I read your initial viewing post last night and listened to the pod cast. It is nice to see and hear that critics can be giddy too. I am now fully psyched to see this. I too am suffering from the non-fan wife that wants to go with me after seeing a few prequel Marvel movies. The problem is I don't think I can wait and I don't want to risk hearing any spoilers, so I think I am going to have to cheat on her and go see it myself, then see it again with her as if it is my first time! Now why would I need to be somewhere for 3 hours? Oh crap, I'll just tell her I can't stand it. She may want to go, but she is a notorious question asker during movies, so no.

Yep, I'm picking up what you're putting down Thanks again!