Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    You mean the Florida State that we swept this year and went further in the NCAAs than?
    It was a joke.

But even if it wasn't, if FSU had a Duke-quality offense, that would have been an interesting team.

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    Hi Kedsy,

Fair enough. It would probably be better stated that those 3 were relatively late bloomers in the rankings, I think, who have risen up many rankings over the past 2 years. I do think that ESPNs updates are largely based off the recent All-Star games in which Carey did not take part. And Moore has played significant minutes in each of those games leading me to think that the coaches consider him to be well inside the Top 20. Really, it will be much more interesting and meaningful to see where they are come the mid-summer updated RSCI ratings. Or moreso, come next Fall!
    Cassius Stanley isn't a "later bloomer in the rankings." He was an early bloomer -- in the Top 10 of the class in their very early Freshman/Soph. year rankings, partly because he is old for his class, so his physical skills appeared to be relatively stronger to others in the class before the others grew up.

You did great. Welcome to the Brotherhood..

And to think just a few short weeks ago many felt as if their world was coming to an end.

Just curious, does anyone know how he's a high school senior but two months older than AOC? I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Cassius Stanley isn't a "later bloomer in the rankings." He was an early bloomer -- in the Top 10 of the class in their very early Freshman/Soph. year rankings, partly because he is old for his class, so his physical skills appeared to be relatively stronger to others in the class before the others grew up.
    I expect you are right and thanks for the correction. I definitely know the least about Stanley as we got involved so late. I do know that he's old for the class but didn't realize that he'd been Top 10 much earlier in the recruiting cycle. Really, that makes it all the more impressive that Duke was able to jump in so relatively late and land him. Do you know if Duke had formed a relationship with him earlier that they just rekindled recently?
    In any case, glad to have the old fella join next year's group of more precocious, quite talented student-athletes!

Welcome Cassius! LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    But last year they went to Canada! That's not a foreign country !?! Hell, there are LOTS of places inside the continental 48 states that are more foreign than Toronto!
    Chapel Hill?

I expect you are right and thanks for the correction. I definitely know the least about Stanley as we got involved so late. I do know that he's old for the class but didn't realize that he'd been Top 10 much earlier in the recruiting cycle. Really, that makes it all the more impressive that Duke was able to jump in so relatively late and land him. Do you know if Duke had formed a relationship with him earlier that they just rekindled recently?
    In any case, glad to have the old fella join next year's group of more precocious, quite talented student-athletes!
    Nope. At SG, it was all about Bryan Antoine for us. As is typical for Duke, we hone in early on a recruit, and sometimes, it's even part of our pitch that we're not recruiting anyone else at their position.

We only recently contacted Stanley. We just have Deion Sanders-like closing speed in recruitments.

Welcome to the Brotherhood Cassius. This is going to be a fun season. Coach K has so many options. Lineup changes we constantly change. Early on he could use line changes like hockey.

In any case, glad to have the old fella join next year's group of more precocious, quite talented student-athletes
    !
    No inside info, but I'm guessing that the fact that Stanley attends the same high school as Marvin Bagley did was a plus in getting up to speed in a hurry. Coach K had some familiarity with the staff there, and the staff plus Bagley no doubt had good things to say about Duke and Coach K.

It is amazing that Duke can step in late and snatch a talented kid. It must drive opposing coaches nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    Welcome to the Brotherhood Cassius. This is going to be a fun season. Coach K has so many options. Lineup changes we constantly change. Early on he could use line changes like hockey.
    Yes. Just think about defense -- we know Tre and Goldwire are excellent defenders; now add athletic perimeter players like Ellis, Moore, and Stanley. Should be able to pressure the ball really well and go full-court at times.

Closing Speed

It truly is amazing that we can get in late, and still communicate to players that we are interested, have been interested, and will have a place for them. I like this kid (albeit 20 year old kid.) He seems to play with passion and courage, and to have a chip on his shoulder. Welcome Cassius! We need ya.

But last year they went to Canada! That's not a foreign country !?! Hell, there are LOTS of places inside the continental 48 states that are more foreign than Toronto!
    Toronto, the well-loved midwestern city, according to Wilbon. Just north of Detroit.
    - 4/22/19 TK show.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Toronto, the well-loved midwestern city, according to Wilbon. Just north of Detroit.
    - 4/22/19 TK show.
    There had been talk of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan annexing Ontario, it actually received 100% of the popular vote, but only 311 of the 742 registered adults in the UP voted. In a somewhat controversial move, moose were not allowed to vote for the first time in decades.

Voter rolls

There had been talk of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan annexing Ontario, it actually received 100% of the popular vote, but only 311 of the 742 registered adults in the UP voted. In a somewhat controversial move, moose were not allowed to vote for the first time in decades.
    What about Bigfoot? I understand there are a few in the UP. https://www.whas11.com/article/news/...rest/379066831

Welcome to Duke, Cassius. Work on the Duke man2man defense, play hard and you have a great chance of contributing from day one. Oh, and sting the Cheats each time we play them. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    No inside info, but I'm guessing that the fact that Stanley attends the same high school as Marvin Bagley did was a plus in getting up to speed in a hurry. Coach K had some familiarity with the staff there, and the staff plus Bagley no doubt had good things to say about Duke and Coach K.

It is amazing that Duke can step in late and snatch a talented kid. It must drive opposing coaches nuts.
    We will enjoy it while it lasts- Coach K is not coaching forever- although it seems like it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Little View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know how he's a high school senior but two months older than AOC? I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet.
    Wasn't Hansbrough 30 when he was a Freshman?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Wasn't Hansbrough 30 when he was a Freshman?
    No, but he was well travelled.