Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    Getting tangential here, but to clarify, Lance's 15-footer developed late in his senior year, around Zoubek's beast mode transformation. I remember a number of times yelling "NO!" at the TV as he too open jumpers from a step behind the elbow in mid-February, only to have them go in with unexpected frequency. Even then, it was limited to open 15-footers, and never extended to 3.
    This is correct. I distinctly remember standing a row or two behind the Duke bench during the early part of Lance's freshman year when he took a 15 foot jumpshot that missed badly. Coach K immediately took him out of the game and made sure Lance knew that was not an acceptable shot to take. After witnessing that, I was immensely proud of Lance when he calmly knocked down the jumper shown at about the 37:45 mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEwPq5_2zw He may not have been a primary offensive weapon at Duke, but his hard work resulted in him at least getting the green light from the coaching staff to take that kind of shot. It was a small play during the course of that game, but turned out to be pretty important considering the stakes and the close margin of victory.

Don't know about Javin's economic circumstances re going pro this year, but seems we all agree another year at Duke would be beneficial.

Come on back for senior year, guys - we need you! Plus, you have one more season to show the NBA that you are ready. Javin - show us that you can stay on the court with great body control and minimal fouls. Show us that your hands are magnets for the ball - if it's anywhere near you, that ball is yours and it's not getting away. Marques - show us you have quickness needed for the NBA, plus consistency - can we see your A game every time?

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    Don't know about Javin's economic circumstances re going pro this year, but seems we all agree another year at Duke would be beneficial.
    I expect DeLaurier to return and yes a Duke degree should be beneficial. But he's spent three traditional years at Duke and at least parts of three summer sessions. So, I suspect he's pretty close to a degree already.

Of course, grad school also looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    This is correct. I distinctly remember standing a row or two behind the Duke bench during the early part of Lance's freshman year when he took a 15 foot jumpshot that missed badly. Coach K immediately took him out of the game and made sure Lance knew that was not an acceptable shot to take. After witnessing that, I was immensely proud of Lance when he calmly knocked down the jumper shown at about the 37:45 mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHEwPq5_2zw He may not have been a primary offensive weapon at Duke, but his hard work resulted in him at least getting the green light from the coaching staff to take that kind of shot. It was a small play during the course of that game, but turned out to be pretty important considering the stakes and the close margin of victory.
    Agree completely about Thomas and the work he put in--both and Duke and in the NBA--to expand his offensive game. But there's a little bit of irony in the clip you posted, where he hit a 17-foot jumper, because on the very next possession he missed the exact same shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Agree completely about Thomas and the work he put in--both and Duke and in the NBA--to expand his offensive game. But there's a little bit of irony in the clip you posted, where he hit a 17-foot jumper, because on the very next possession he missed the exact same shot.
    Actually the play you are referring to just goes to show what an advanced offensive player Lance was by the end of his senior year. That was actually a pass off the rim to Zoubek, and Lance knew Zoubek would be able to kick it out to Scheyer for the open three, but Scheyer just failed to make the shot.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    FWIW SI.com doesn't have Bolden or DeLaurier listed amongst their Top 100 draft prospects after the early entry deadline. It looks like in recent history no more than 70 players have been invited to the combine. I hope that Marques and Javin are able to get the input they need even if they don't end up at the combine, which is looking possible.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I’ve been following the list of players invited to the combine. As is the case in previous years, there is not one single list. We’ll get tweets of players or groups of players that get invited, usually by their school. I presume that as players decline, that opens up more spots and so additional players will receive invites.

Anyways, I do not see that Bolden or Javin have received invitations. If this holds true, this would be fairly significant. It seems to be a strong indication that they are not projected to be drafted (there are typically about 70 players at the combine, and that doesn’t include the very top players who sit it out). It also means, as I have recently learned thanks to these boards, that if they do choose to remain in the draft pool they cannot return to school if they go undrafted (only players who were invited to the combine have this option). So it’s something to continue to pay attention to.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I’ve been following the list of players invited to the combine. As is the case in previous years, there is not one single list. We’ll get tweets of players or groups of players that get invited, usually by their school. I presume that as players decline, that opens up more spots and so additional players will receive invites.

Anyways, I do not see that Bolden or Javin have received invitations. If this holds true, this would be fairly significant. It seems to be a strong indication that they are not projected to be drafted (there are typically about 70 players at the combine, and that doesn’t include the very top players who sit it out). It also means, as I have recently learned thanks to these boards, that if they do choose to remain in the draft pool they cannot return to school if they go undrafted (only players who were invited to the combine have this option). So it’s something to continue to pay attention to.
    Good update. Considering where these two guys were rated, or more accurately not rated, on various "Big Boards", this isn't too surprising. Hopefully this means that the pair will do a few individual workouts, get some feedback, and use this as the info they need to return to Duke and get themselves that invite next year. I don't want to think about the worst case scenario, both for Duke and for the guys individually.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I love Javin as Duke basketball player. He had a good tournament this year. But...I just don't see how a guy can play basketball for 15 years, including 3 years at Duke and not be able to hit a simple just shot during a game. I know that's not the nicest thing to say but Javin scores on dunks on good passes and with layups/put backs...and he struggles with the layups sometimes.

I love his effort and attitude and I hope he has a great senior season. If I'm him, I'm taking 2000 jumpers a day for the next 5 months. Maybe Lance can reach out to him and tell him how he developed a real jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I love Javin as Duke basketball player. He had a good tournament this year. But...I just don't see how a guy can play basketball for 15 years, including 3 years at Duke and not be able to hit a simple just shot during a game. I know that's not the nicest thing to say but Javin scores on dunks on good passes and with layups/put backs...and he struggles with the layups sometimes.

I love his effort and attitude and I hope he has a great senior season. If I'm him, I'm taking 2000 jumpers a day for the next 5 months. Maybe Lance can reach out to him and tell him how he developed a real jump shot.
    Mason says, “Hi!”

-jk

I have the same frustration including free throws but it’s not unheard of. Did you see Jack Salt or Tako shoot? Shaq and Rodman were nba guys who had great careers without a jump shot. I’m not making an equivalence comparison with Jav tho.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

I know that the NBA and the NCAA do not have to act in a rational or logically fashion but the logic here escapes me.

If you are not invited to the combine and are undrafted...the student-athlete in question would logically benefit from going back to school. So why is the uninvited/undrafted player not allowed to return to school?

If you are invited to the combine at least a player has some evaluation they can parlay into a G-league contract or a contract with an overseas league.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I know that the NBA and the NCAA do not have to act in a rational or logically fashion but the logic here escapes me.

If you are not invited to the combine and are undrafted...the student-athlete in question would logically benefit from going back to school. So why is the uninvited/undrafted player not allowed to return to school?

If you are invited to the combine at least a player has some evaluation they can parlay into a G-league contract or a contract with an overseas league.
    I think the logic being employed is, “if you didn’t take the hint of not getting invited to the combine, it doesn’t seem like you really want to come back. So we don’t want you back either.”

In practice, I doubt many guys who stay in the draft will come back either way.

Outside shooting is a very typical weakness for big men. That's why the ones that can shoot great (and rim-protect) are called "unicorns."

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    ... I don't want to think about the worst case scenario, both for Duke and for the guys individually.
    They transfer to Carolina, and complain how the classes are so much harder?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Outside shooting is a very typical weakness for big men. That's why the ones that can shoot great (and rim-protect) are called "unicorns."
    I would add that in the case of both Javin and Marques, the problem is not only the lack of an "outside shot," it's the lack of any shot whatsoever, e.g. five foot baseline jumper...

Update on Javin, from Jonathan Givony of ESPN:

Sources: Duke big man Javin DeLaurier will attend the NBA G League Elite Camp, the pre-combine in Chicago that can lead to participation in the NBA Combine. South Carolina guard AJ Lawson has declined his invite, but has not yet withdrawn from the 2019 NBA Draft.

Combine invites were really hard to come by this year. Apparently, Wisconsin's Ethan Happ (2nd team All-American, 3 time first team All-Big Ten, arguably the best senior in the country) did not get an invite.

Wow...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Update on Javin, from Jonathan Givony of ESPN:
    This brings up the question "if you're invited to the pre-combine event(NBA G-League combine event), are you able to return to college if you're not drafted?"
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K