Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Bolden, DeLaurier enter NBA draft

Well, the draft process, at least.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Really a smart move on their parts. This gives them an opportunity to hear from scouts and educated sources on where they stack up. Realistically, I don't see how Javin has any shot whatsoever of landing on an NBA team right now and just bolting to land on a D league team is a risk. He just does not have the skill. I would be shocked if he's not back on campus in the fall further informed on where he stands for the next level. Marques, on the other hand, is much more interesting. There is some potential there that NBA teams could covet for a role playing big.

Without both of these guys back next season, we're going to take a hit defensively.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Javin is not any worse than Lance Thomas was after his senior year, but I also feel like Lance was somewhat of an outlier. He has great size and athleticism, could fill a role on an NBA roster but desperately needs to learn to shoot.

Bolden has some valuable NBA skills as well, and the biggest knock against him is that teams don’t value bigs anymore, which is not going to change in a year. MP1 is probably the best comp for him in terms of how he could get drafted to play a specific role. Can’t blame either of these guys if they choose to go, although I would of course love to have them back. I really hate that there will be this perception that Duke is recruiting over them and/or forcing them out.

I hope they each get honest feedback and make the decision that is best for them. I appreciate how hard they each have worked--it's been a joy watching them get better each year.

Selfishly, I hope both return. They both can contribute to winning basketball. Both are good defenders and importantly both know the Duke system and can lead the younger guys. I'm not as convinced as others that Hurt and Carey are ready to carry the frontcourt from Day 1. In my eyes, one of Bolden or DeLaurier should start to anchor the defense (along with Tre). And over the course of the season we can see if the freshmen are truly ready or not. But in my eyes the backbone of this team is Tre Jones + our three senior leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Really a smart move on their parts. This gives them an opportunity to hear from scouts and educated sources on where they stack up. Realistically, I don't see how Javin has any shot whatsoever of landing on an NBA team right now and just bolting to land on a D league team is a risk. He just does not have the skill. I would be shocked if he's not back on campus in the fall further informed on where he stands for the next level. Marques, on the other hand, is much more interesting. There is some potential there that NBA teams could covet for a role playing big.

Without both of these guys back next season, we're going to take a hit defensively.
    Can Tre Jones guard all 5 positions at the same time? If both were to leave, he may need to.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Javin is not any worse than Lance Thomas was after his senior year, but I also feel like Lance was somewhat of an outlier. He has great size and athleticism, could fill a role on an NBA roster but desperately needs to learn to shoot.

Bolden has some valuable NBA skills as well, and the biggest knock against him is that teams don’t value bigs anymore, which is not going to change in a year. MP1 is probably the best comp for him in terms of how he could get drafted to play a specific role. Can’t blame either of these guys if they choose to go, although I would of course love to have them back. I really hate that there will be this perception that Duke is recruiting over them and/or forcing them out.
    I don't see it this way at all. I think Javin and Marques will both have roles on the team next year, one of them probably more than the other (anyone's guess at this point). But there are a lot of question marks with the incoming freshman bigs on the defensive end, and those 2 seniors are defensive guys. I think at least one of them will definitely get 6th man type of minutes, if not start.

I hope they both return for their senior years. They would be a huge benefit to the team in terms of depth and experience.

I 100% support both guys going through this process. Based upon what he has done so far in college, I’m not sure what Bolden’s role is in the modern NBA. Hope they get some good information and make the best decisions for themselves.

Good decision for both to test the draft waters.

However, neither one is listed on any mock draft boards, and highly unlikely either one will be drafted.

Javin I feel is a surefire lock to come back. Bolden might get a gig overseas or G-league but probably would do well to stay and develop his senior year before going pro.
    Last edited by Dukehk; 04-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Obviously having to wring our hands and nervously await their decisions for another month isn't ideal as a fan. That said, I agree with the prevailing opinion of the board that, given the way the system is set up at the moment, this makes sense for them to go through the process and get feedback.

I will say that it is interesting that the press release made it very clear that they were "maintain their collegiate eligibility", and made no mention of agents. Even with the new rules regarding agents, there has seemed to be a clear distinction, at least in the players' minds, between what it means to declare with an agent and without... just having an agent no longer closes the door to returning, but it does seem to mean the player has a bit more than a foot out the door. Given this, and the fact that I'm sure the program will be guiding them along the way, if both get feedback indicating that they aren't draftable at this stage (which most prognosticators seem to think), then I'd be optimistic they'll be back. I'm salivating over a team that has Carey, Hurt, Bolden and DeLaurier in the frontcourt, as that depth, not to mention the unique skillsets that each bring to the table, would be unique in the OAD era. If one of them absolutely blows up at the combine and earns their paycheck, then all power to them.

As frustrating as this is, we have to consider that it's much better than the alternative from 5 or so years ago, where if one of these guys wanted too go pro they'd have to do so with very little informed opinions in their ears, which could lead to some disastrous decisions with no way to turn back. Now they'll be able to make informed decisions, which is what we'd all want and what I hope we want for our Blue Devils so they can have the best future ahead of them.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I trust that feedback would include the suggestion that they both need to develop a shot, any kind of shot, a short shot, whatever. As the esteemed (if slightly crazed) Bob Knight used to say, every player has to have at least one spot on the floor where he knows he can hit a shot.

Bolden is an interesting case study. He was ranked 11 in his HS class. Every guy ahead of him is in the NBA- I believe all drafted in the first round.

Josh Jackson
    Harry Giles
    Lonzo Ball
    Jayson Tatum
    Markelle Fultz
    DeAaron Fox
    Johnathan Issac
    Bam Adebayo
    Malik Monk
    Miles Bridges

Terrence Ferguson, Wenyen Gabriel, Frank Jackson and Jarret Allen were after Marques. Ferguson was a 1st rounder, Gabriel was undrafted but has had minutes on the Kings, Frank was a second rounder and Allen was a first rounder. Allen and Marques are similar- but Allen had a much better Freshman year. It is odd the Marques is not with that group as a prospect. I think he can make it but he will need to show a bit more. We shall see. Perhaps the NBA game is better suited for him.

I disagree on a couple of points here. Senior season Lance had a pretty reliable 15 footer and the ability to drive from there. Javin doesn’t have that at all. Javin’s only offensive skills are put backs and open dump offs from a missed switch.

NBA teams still very much value bigs. They just prefer to use them differently. There is a reason the W’s signed Cousins and more recently grabbed Bogut. What has changed is teams prefer not to have bigs anchor the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I will say that it is interesting that the press release made it very clear that they were "maintain their collegiate eligibility", and made no mention of agents. Even with the new rules regarding agents, there has seemed to be a clear distinction, at least in the players' minds, between what it means to declare with an agent and without... just having an agent no longer closes the door to returning, but it does seem to mean the player has a bit more than a foot out the door.
    Isn't there a rule that if you hire an agent, you can only come back to school if you were invited to the combine? (This would make no sense, but I vaguely recall reading it somewhere). There's a chance neither of these two gets invited to the combine. Certainly Javin's chances are lower than Bolden's IMO. I agree with you though that if a player hires an agent it seems much more likely that he is leaning towards leaving rather than staying.

Isn't there a rule that if you hire an agent, you can only come back to school if you were invited to the combine? (This would make no sense, but I vaguely recall reading it somewhere). There's a chance neither of these two gets invited to the combine. Certainly Javin's chances are lower than Bolden's IMO. I agree with you though that if a player hires an agent it seems much more likely that he is leaning towards leaving rather than staying.
    I believe the rule is that anyone can hire an agent and come back so long as the agent only pays for certain expenses, is a certified agent, and the player terminates the relationship with the agent upon coming back to school. A player may go undrafted and come back to school if that player was invited to the combine. If I player did not get invited to the combine and stays in the draft, they are not allowed to come back to school even if they were not drafted. See SI article on these changes here: https://www.si.com/college-basketbal...nges-explained

I have a feeling that Bolden will show surprising shooting ability in workouts that, combined with his impressive length and ability to protect the rim, could draw real interest. It's by no means guaranteed, but I think that he will offer more to the NBA than just an outdated traditional big role. If he thinks he will be drafted in the second round then I would expect him to go. I know we have crowded frontcourt, but I think that next year's team would really miss having him so I hope he returns.

I think that Javin is more likely to stay (all pure speculation), but he also offers critical defense and leadership that would be really missed on next year's team if he doesn't come back.

Neither Jav nor Marques would get drafted. Likely not a year from now, either. Would be a big gamble for them to stay in draft this year. Neither has range extending beyond 2 feet. I think we've all seen it. NBA doesn't draft on defensive capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Would be a big gamble for them to stay in draft this year.
    You can return to school if you're not drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    You can return to school if you're not drafted.
    "Non-seniors who are invited to the predraft combine in Chicago also can remain in the NBA draft process and return to school if they go undrafted." (Minneapolis Star Tribune)

Also see post #15 above by DallasDevil.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDevil View Post
    If [a] player did not get invited to the combine and stays in the draft, they are not allowed to come back to school even if they were not drafted.
    Thanks for the clarification. This seems backwards, because the players who aren’t invited to the combine are more likely to want to return to school. But I guess they’re trying to discourage players from waiting until after the draft to decide if they are in a position where they really aren’t likely to be drafted. Of course, the other explanation is that the NCAA didn’t really think this through 8-).