Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Speculation thread for next year's team.

Best case: We keep Tre, keep Bolden, land Hurt, and secure the SG spot

Tre
    RJ Hampton/Kira Lewis/5* Boogie Ellis (moves up the rankings)/Swole AOC
    Wendell Moore
    Matthew Hurt
    VCJ

JG
    Boogie
    AOC
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    Javin
    Bolden

Worse case: Lose Tre, lose Bolden, don't get anyone else.
    Boogie Ellis
    Twig AOC
    Wendell Moore
    Javin Delaurier
    VCJ

JG
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    JRob

Best case offense is easily better than this years, which had the worst offense since 2012. Defense is unlikely to be better. This team was SPECIAL at m2m.
    Last edited by proelitedota; 04-01-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    Best case: We keep Tre, keep Bolden, land Hurt, and secure the SG spot

Tre
    RJ Hampton/Kira Lewis/5* Boogie Ellis (moves up the rankings)/Swole AOC
    Wendell Moore
    Matthew Hurt
    VCJ

JG
    Boogie
    AOC
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    Javin
    Bolden

Worse case: Lose Tre, lose Bolden, don't get anyone else.
    Boogie Ellis
    Twig AOC (
    Wendell Moore
    Javin Delaurier
    VCJ

JG
    Jack White
    Joey Baker
    JRob

Best case offense is easily better than this years, which had the worst offense since 2012. Defense is unlikely to be better. This team was SPECIAL at m2m.

Where would Bolden go? I haven't heard any NBA buzz about him.

Quote Originally Posted by GoDuke2015 View Post
    Where would Bolden go? I haven't heard any NBA buzz about him.
    Grad transfer. Europe. Gleague. I don't think 15 min off the bench next year is going to help further his basketball career than the previous three options.

I would be shocked if next year’s team has Jones AND Hampton.

Also, while technically this year’s team was our worst offensive team since 2012, that is kind of overstating things. We were #7 nationally on offense this year, despite numerous injuries/illnesses to key contributors. That isn’t exactly struggling.

I would not be at all shocked if next year’s squad is worse offensively and defensively than this year’s squad.

I wouldn’t be shocked if next year’s squad is better offensively either. But #7 in the nation - even with the key injuries - is a pretty high bar to top.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    There are way too many variables to speculate too wildly right now (the biggest of which will be Tre's interesting draft decision). It's only worth talking about the known quantities at this point, which are our returning vets. On that point, I will say this: barring something unusual and unexpected, next year's team will return three seniors who have experience and can contribute (Javin, Jack, Marques), two juniors who, at various times this year, found a role and filled it quite well (AOC and JG), and a quasi-redshirt sophomore who various people on this board dubbed the team's savior throughout the season (Joey Baker). That's more upper class depth than any of our teams in the OAD era.

We just lost to a team in Michigan State that had two seniors in Matt McQuaid and Kenny Goins who most certainly aren't any more talented than the trio of seniors we'll have, but provided leadership, experience, and played their role to perfection. Goins even developed a three-point shot literally out of nowhere between his junior and senior seasons; I will point out this fact all offseason to ANYONE who writes of Jack White based off of his cold streak. There's also reason to believe that JG can continue to develop as a defensive sparkplug off of the bench, and either/both of AOC and Joey have the potential to take a big step forward this offseason and become the deadeye outside shooter we've been desperate for the past two years. These players won't be our stars (heck, I'd be shocked if we have more than two of them in the starting lineup), but they'll provide some intangibles and can fill some roles that we haven't been able to in the past couple years. That will give us more room for error/development as our incoming and still very talented freshmen acclimate to college basketball.

I plan on going into detail on this topic at some point in the near future once NBA decisions have crystalized, but the upshot is that while next year's team may not be a juggernaut, the sky most certainly isn't falling.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Duke should pay Chip Engelland or some other shooting guru whatever is required to work with AOC, Baker, JGold, Jack and the rookies to improve our perimeter shooting. I realize Chip is an employee of the Spurs but perhaps a consulting contract could be arranged.

When not working on their shots, respectively, AOC, Baker and Bolden should be in the weight room. I was in school with Bilas and when it became apparent to him that his career was going to be spent banging in the paint he lived in the weight room and put on a lot of size. IMO, Bolden should do the same. It amazes me how easily he gets pushed around. Some of that might be desire but it becomes more difficult for opponents if MB is bigger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Duke should pay Chip Engelland whatever is required to have him work with AOC, Baker, JGold, Jack and the rookies to improve our perimeter shooting.

When not working on their shots, respectively, AOC, Baker and Bolden should be in the weight room. I was in school with Bilas and when it became apparent to him that his career was going to spent banging in the paint he lived in the weight room and put on a lot of size. IMO, Bolden should do the same. It amazes me how easily he gets pushed around. Some of that might be desire but it becomes more difficult for opponents if MB is bigger and stronger.
    Bolden was able to stay in front of perimeter players this year due to his weight loss since freshmen year. Bolden is already slower than what we want of a college 5.

Unless you're built like Zion, there is no reason to weigh above 250.

Bolden was able to stay in front of perimeter players this year due to his weight loss since freshmen year. Bolden is already slower than what we want of a college 5.

Unless you're built like Zion, there is no reason to weigh above 250.
    Bolden is somewhat unique in that his lateral speed is better than his vertical speed. I feel like his ability to shuffle feet and cut off driving lanes for guards is better than his ability to run the floor.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Just leaving this comment so I can comeback and read all the "I hear (BLANK) is transfering from Duke".

Heard it the last two years about AOC and Bolden (who reportedly was actually considering it).

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    Just leaving this comment so I can comeback and read all the "I hear (BLANK) is transfering from Duke".

Heard it the last two years about AOC and Bolden (who reportedly was actually considering it).
    AOC transfer rumors is puzzling. He is a legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post

Bolden reportedly considering...or both Bolden and AOC considering?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Bolden reportedly considering...or both Bolden and AOC considering?
    I believe past tense.

Grad transfer. Europe. Gleague. I don't think 15 min off the bench next year is going to help further his basketball career than the previous three options.
    What on earth is this garbage? Can you name a single time a should-be senior who plays major minutes for a blue-blood transferred or left to go play in Europe?

I believe past tense.
    I realize he meant past tense...I just couldn't tell if he meant for one or both players...

I believe past tense.
    Certainly past tense.... I for the record don't think anyone leaves this year. Already heard the, "Joey Baker is leaving because K burned his redshirt".

Which makes zero sense... Seeing as how he'd then have to sit out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    What on earth is this garbage? Can you name a single time a should-be senior who plays major minutes for a blue-blood transferred or left to go play in Europe?
    Not sure how Bolden will see more minutes than this year when he'll have the addition of Vernon Carey to compete for minutes with.

VCJ will get at least 25 min at the 5. That only leaves 15 for Bolden.

Quote Originally Posted by ndkjr70 View Post
    Well, Shav Randolph is one who left with no major NBA prospects. Marty Pocius too. Both were in position to get about as many minutes as Bolden projects to get with Carey coming. But yes, it is pretty rare.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, Shav Randolph is one who left with no major NBA prospects. Marty Pocius too. Both were in position to get about as many minutes as Bolden projects to get with Carey coming. But yes, it is pretty rare.
    March Pocius had a medical redshirt year and if I recall correctly, he graduated.

March Pocius had a medical redshirt year and if I recall correctly, he graduated.
    Yes, but he left with a year of eligibility left. And in doing so, missed out on a chance to play major minutes for a title team.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Add Sean Obi to the list.