Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'm surprised all of you haven't turned this into a minutes discussion yet.

Tre Jones, Vernon Carey, Jr., and Matthew Hurt seem like locks to start next season. I'll go a step further and pencil in Wendell Moore, too. So that begs the question, who starts with those four?

My guess is Jack White. That allows Hurt the most defensive flexibility and maybe Duke can switch 2 through 4. Javin can switch as well, but that clogs the lane a bit on offense. I think we'll see some lineups with both of Carey/Bolden and DeLaurier/White in there. But I anticipate a lot more Hurt and White at the forward positions to allow Tre Jones maximum room to operate and create.

Starters: Jones, Moore, White, Hurt, Carey
    Rotation: Goldwire, Stanley, Ellis, O'Connell, Baker, DeLaurier, Bolden

It would not surprise me if Ellis and Baker see the floor the least out of this group of rotation players.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post

Tre Jones, Vernon Carey, Jr., and Matthew Hurt seem like locks to start next season. I'll go a step further and pencil in Wendell Moore, too. So that begs the question, who starts with those four?

My guess is Jack White. That allows Hurt the most defensive flexibility and maybe Duke can switch 2 through 4. Javin can switch as well, but that clogs the lane a bit on offense. I think we'll see some lineups with both of Carey/Bolden and DeLaurier/White in there. But I anticipate a lot more Hurt and White at the forward positions to allow Tre Jones maximum room to operate and create.

It would not surprise me if Ellis and Baker see the floor the least out of this group of rotation players.
    I think it is likely that Hurt and Carey will earn some starts but the only lock to start the whole season is Tre. Bolden is still a significant talent on both ends of the floor and is entering his senior season. Javin showed improvement defensively and has the ability to make an impact athletically. He is also entering his senior season. It is not a lock that two freshmen that are apparently not at the level of Okafor, Tatum, Parker, or Zion will be starting over these seniors for a majority of the season.

I predict Ellis. The kid can shoot and create off the dribble.

Welcome to Duke Matthew! This commitment has made it a Good Friday.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

With Capel gone instead of getting the number 1 recruiting class we have to settle for the number 1 recruiting class.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tony Parker is still thanking folks.
    And his priest is still blessing the hats !

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Tony Parker is still thanking folks.
    His announcement lasted longer than his NBA career.

Oh, happy day! A 12-man rotation finally.

Just watching some youtube tape on Hurt.

Is it me or does his shot look a lot like Bird’s?

That sorta setshot semi jump with a slight wristy hitch and follow thru...

I guess all that matters is how the ball rips the net.

Cuz no one ever misses in a highlight video .

But seriously that shot is supple and deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Just watching some youtube tape on Hurt.

Is it me or does his shot look a lot like Bird’s?

That sorta setshot semi jump with a slight wristy hitch and follow thru...

I guess all that matters is how the ball rips the net.

Cuz no one ever misses in a highlight video .

But seriously that shot is supple and deadly.
    Yeah, I was watching the same thing. Supple is a great word for it. His shot has the least body movement I can remember for a Duke player and is very Bird like.

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Yeah, I was watching the same thing. Supple is a great word for it. His shot has the least body movement I can remember for a Duke player and is very Bird like.
    Shot looks good against smaller opponents and when he is wide open... didn't see a lot of contested shots in the video. I hope he can make them under some pressure, but he looks under-matched in the video.

His footwork in the paint looks good and he has a soft touch at the rim which I like to see (doesn't seem to need to dunk every shot).

I hope he cools the "3" sign mess (especially the kiss part)... no need for it and it is a bit of overreaction for making a simple 20 foot jump shot (wait, I think I see some kids on my lawn...)

Ok, false alarm... besides he already has all the risk factors for being the "next most hated Duke player" anyway, but I am willing to bet that will happen regardless of how he behaves if he is productive.

Glad to have him, but I am going to curb my enthusiasm until I see how he plays going into January next season as I do will all the recruits now.

Happy Eater everyone!

[QUOTE=oldnavy;1157689]Shot looks good against smaller opponents and when he is wide open... didn't see a lot of contested shots in the video. I hope he can make them under some pressure, but he looks under-matched in the video.

/QUOTE]

you mean like every 5 star recruit ever?????? Of course he's under-matched...5 stars are RARE.

[QUOTE=HereBeforeCoachK;1157712]
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Shot looks good against smaller opponents and when he is wide open... didn't see a lot of contested shots in the video. I hope he can make them under some pressure, but he looks under-matched in the video.

/QUOTE]

you mean like every 5 star recruit ever?????? Of course he's under-matched...5 stars are RARE.
    Yep, and how many "5 stars" have disappointed and were deemed overrated when they got to the college game? Hence the wait and see approach.

[QUOTE=oldnavy;1157720]
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Yep, and how many "5 stars" have disappointed and were deemed overrated when they got to the college game? Hence the wait and see approach.
    Nah, I want to start the jersey retirement speculation, I mean discussion, *before* he even get to campus this summer.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

[QUOTE=devildeac;1157724]

Nah, I want to start the jersey retirement speculation, I mean discussion, *before* he even get to campus this summer.

Darn. You have turned into a DBR traditionalist. 😎

[QUOTE=devildeac;1157724]

May make sense to retire the jersey now so he graduates and stays for at least 3 years.

[QUOTE=dukelifer;1157738]
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

May make sense to retire the jersey now so he graduates and stays for at least 3 years.
    Can you retire a jersey and redshirt it at the same time???

[QUOTE=HereBeforeCoachK;1157739]
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

How do I spork?

[QUOTE=HereBeforeCoachK;1157739]
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post

Can we have a redshirt one and done? One year on the practice squad but no game time?

[QUOTE=Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15;1157746]
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post

Can we have a redshirt one and done? One year on the practice squad but no game time?
    Well, let's certainly wish him an injury-free season. Kyrie Irving and Harry Giles come to mind as 5-stars who ended up with greatly shortened playing time in their one season.