Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I'm sure the producers were very happy to see James win last night. They are probably drawing huge audiences and the want this to go as many nights as possible. Though the way James played last night, he could end this in four.

I was discussing with a friend what will happen when Alex eventually can no longer host (hopefully not for a long time). We both agreed that Ken would be a great successor. He is obviously very smart but is also very charismatic in a down-to-earth way that people can identify with. Brad would also be fine. James seems like a nice enough guy but I don't think he would work well and I doubt he would be interested.
    Funny, I find Ken annoying and wouldn't want to see him host. Brad and James seem like nice people, though.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Funny, I find Ken annoying and wouldn't want to see him host. Brad and James seem like nice people, though.
    Different strokes for different folks. Everyone in my household finds James to be... a smarmy jerk. Ken and Brad are well received though. I’m rooting for Ken myself, although ABJ is the primary viewing motto for all of us.

I think James has a bit of an "edge" (if you follow him on Twitter you'll see he throws shade - in jest of course) whereas Ken is more of a "stay in the lane" type of guy. I personally like both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I think James has a bit of an "edge" (if you follow him on Twitter you'll see he throws shade - in jest of course) whereas Ken is more of a "stay in the lane" type of guy. I personally like both.
    Different ages, different societal norms when growing up.

Is it the first person to win three matches or the first to win two in a row?

First to win three

My kids were very impressed that I knew the daily double that James missed - obsessively following ACC sports helped me know that Florida State's colors are Garnet and Gold (I did not know the answer from the gem stone perspective).

Brad is clearly a distant third - I actually felt bad for him at times when he seemed to be frozen out for a while, and he has had bad luck with the daily doubles. The feature they did on James made him more likeable to me as it showed a more human side but I continue to be more of a Ken fan. I am slightly younger than Ken - despite the wide differences in when they were on the show, they are all actually in a pretty tight band in terms of age.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    While this is completely tongue in cheek, my conspiracy theory is they are “moving” the daily doubles so James can’t get them.
    Well, they are giving the DDs to Brad in an attempt to make him competitive. Except he can’t seem to get them right.

In case nobody had ever bothered to check (because I sure hadn't), Jame's Holzhauer's Twitter is FIRE

"My wife is going to make me roleplay as @KenJennings tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My kids were very impressed that I knew the daily double that James missed - obsessively following ACC sports helped me know that Florida State's colors are Garnet and Gold (I did not know the answer from the gem stone perspective).

Brad is clearly a distant third - I actually felt bad for him at times when he seemed to be frozen out for a while, and he has had bad luck with the daily doubles. The feature they did on James made him more likeable to me as it showed a more human side but I continue to be more of a Ken fan. I am slightly younger than Ken - despite the wide differences in when they were on the show, they are all actually in a pretty tight band in terms of age.
    I am very surprised by this. Brad has faced Ken 3 times before and beat him 2 of the 3 with IBM Watson winning the third. If I remember correctly, in the 2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions and 2014 Battle of the Decades, Brad beat Ken rather convincingly. I'm sure there is a recap somewhere and my memory is wrong about the ease of which he won, nonetheless, Brad has beat Ken twice. That's why I find Brad's results of this match so far to be very surprising.

I really didn’t care for James’ “ha ha” and finger point to Brad when he got a question correct about the city of Philadelphia. His mannerisms and general attitude just don’t strike me well. Perhaps I’m just showing my age, but I much prefer Brad and Ken. And I’m rooting for Ken simply because he’s been beaten out in these previous tournament of champions.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    In case nobody had ever bothered to check (because I sure hadn't), Jame's Holzhauer's Twitter is FIRE

It appears to be that I am the President of the James Fan Club. I think he gets some good lines off and he's opened up more (but they all have, really) in this championship battle.

It's coming down to buzzer speed, although Ken really stuns on history and the word mashups. Geebus, do I hate that kind of category. I am not clever in the least!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

I hope Brad wins tonight so it can continue to run. It certainly makes an enjoyable evening.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I am very surprised by this. Brad has faced Ken 3 times before and beat him 2 of the 3 with IBM Watson winning the third. If I remember correctly, in the 2005 Ultimate Tournament of Champions and 2014 Battle of the Decades, Brad beat Ken rather convincingly. I'm sure there is a recap somewhere and my memory is wrong about the ease of which he won, nonetheless, Brad has beat Ken twice. That's why I find Brad's results of this match so far to be very surprising.
    I think it was last night Alex asked Brad what he did to prepare and Brad gave some generic answer but finished by saying he should have worked on his buzzer skills. I think there is a lot of truth to that. James just kills on getting the buzzer right when he knows the answer and Ken isn't far behind. I think it's just a little bit of bad luck that Brad has missed on the daily doubles and I wouldn't be surprised to see him win tonight.

As far as folks not liking James' personality, I find him refreshing. A lot of the time the contestants on Jeopardy can be a little stiff and I like that he is loose and just seems to be having a good time, a lot like Austin Rogers the wacky bartender from last year who, for a while, went on a tear of his own.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I hope Brad wins tonight so it can continue to run. It certainly makes an enjoyable evening.
    Is it on tonight? My Directv guide has regular programming listed. Was thinking they might jump over to next week?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post

From his feed https://twitter.com/i/status/1215083028248256514

That is hilarious!
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Is it on tonight? My Directv guide has regular programming listed. Was thinking they might jump over to next week?
    Next episode is Tuesday. I think the schedule was Tues-Thurs every week... can't see it lasting past 2 weeks though cause Brad seems lost up there.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I can't friggin' believe that our local NBC affiliate that shows Jeopardy is in a spat with DirecTV (common thing, expiring contract, much finger pointing) and they may be off DirecTV starting today. Ouch.
    Perhaps it'll be on the ACCN...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Perhaps it'll be on the ACCN...

Does that mean that the winner will be paid in a million dollars worth of Socket Shelfs!

I'm pulling hard for Ken. I like Brad just fine. James is brilliant but he comes off a little smarmy to me.

The more Double Jeopardy clues go to Brad, the higher the likelihood that Ken will win.

Brad has surprised me with some of his misses on the Double Jeopardy. "Melancholia" was a particularly easy one last night that he wiffed completely.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust