Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Top tax bracket in California is 13.3%. Not to turn this into a political discussion, but I work live in NYC and work closely with one person in LA and one in Chicago. My colleague in LA and I laugh at our colleague in Chicago who complains that his income tax might be increased slightly above its current level of 4.95%.
    ALL of you should move to FL, TX, WY, NH, AK or the other states that impose a 0.00% state income tax! (but it may be difficult to find the same high-paying jobs that are available in the big cities mainly on the coasts and that tend to be in high-tax states).

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'll take scandals of the 1950s for $600, Alex.

Who is Charles Van Doren.
    Yes, thank you! I DID know that at one time. Am I the only one on this board who is finding that their memory is getting worse, as they age?

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    ALL of you should move to FL, TX, WY, NH, AK or the other states that impose a 0.00% state income tax! (but it may be difficult to find the same high-paying jobs that are available in the big cities mainly on the coasts and that tend to be in high-tax states).
    If there's a will, then there's a way. Also adjust for a substantially lower cost of living and one can have approximately twice as much purchasing/investing power. If your goal is financial independence, then this is a prudent technique.

Am I the only one on this board who is finding that their memory is getting worse, as they age?
    No, but I have a few hundred Grateful Dead concerts to blame. What's your excuse?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe there are a number of glorified pawn brokers who stand outside The Price is Right and other game shows to manage this. Because if you live in an apartment and win a hot tub that you can't use or you win a new car when you just bought a new one and don't need it, the tax consequences of that prize are not good - you are going to owe a few thousand in taxes but have the material item, not the cash to pay the taxes. So the pawn guys offer you a fraction of the value of the prize, you have enough cash to pay taxes and a little left over, and they can go resell it and make a lot of money. Entrepreneurship at its finest...
    Pretty much every game show offers cash payouts in place of the prizes. Contestants very rarely actually take the big ticket prizes.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Pretty much every game show offers cash payouts in place of the prizes. Contestants very rarely actually take the big ticket prizes.
    “2) Can you just take the cash value of your prize?

I get this question so often! “So, did you take the car or the cash value?” There is no cash value option. They make it super clear in all of the paperwork – you take exactly what you won, or you take nothing.”

https://aurorasblog.com/2013/04/24/the-price-is-right-faqs-regarding-prizes/

Yes, thank you! I DID know that at one time. Am I the only one on this board who is finding that their memory is getting worse, as they age?
    I'm sorry, what was the question?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

My memory is not good, but improves greatly after I no longer have much use for the answers. And so it goes.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    My memory is not good, but improves greatly after I no longer have much use for the answers. And so it goes.
    I remember "The Eagle has landed", but not what I had for lunch yesterday.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I am convinced that memory is a lot like many of our other capabilities - to prevent atrophy - you have to exercise it. I practice remembering things. I'm also an actor and I have to learn lines. But I learn lines even when I don't have to so that when I have to, I can do it rather easily. (I learn Shakespearean monologues for fun.) Yes, it's a little harder now that I'm older, but not that much harder. I do find I am not as good with names as I used to be but I'm still very good at remembering faces and I will remember exactly where I met somebody even if the name doesn't stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I am convinced that memory is a lot like many of our other capabilities - to prevent atrophy - you have to exercise it. I practice remembering things. I'm also an actor and I have to learn lines. But I learn lines even when I don't have to so that when I have to, I can do it rather easily. (I learn Shakespearean monologues for fun.) Yes, it's a little harder now that I'm older, but not that much harder. I do find I am not as good with names as I used to be but I'm still very good at remembering faces and I will remember exactly where I met somebody even if the name doesn't stick.
    I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.

I hope you know I'm having fun with you. On my best day I wouldn't even try. I'm more of a punster/useless trivia kinda guy, and my social calendar has some space.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

I hope you know I'm having fun with you. On my best day I wouldn't even try. I'm more of a punster/useless trivia kinda guy, and my social calendar has some space.
    Yeah, you think I'll just drop "The forgeries of jealousy" on anybody? You gotta earn it. And if you don't know what play that's from - you've got a long way to go before you do. ;-)

We open Much Ado About Nothing in Medford next Friday, June 14. If anybody in the Boston area wants to come, send me a PM and I'll give you the details. Free outdoor Shakespeare. ("The forgeries of jealousy" speech is not from Much Ado.)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

Gee, mine is like a Nebraska plain...

Am I the only one on this board who is finding that their memory is getting worse, as they age?
    Certainly not.

I'm 42 and my memory has taken a pretty big hit just in the last couple years.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Certainly not.

I'm 42 and my memory has taken a pretty big hit just in the last couple years.
    What years?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    “2) Can you just take the cash value of your prize?

I get this question so often! “So, did you take the car or the cash value?” There is no cash value option. They make it super clear in all of the paperwork – you take exactly what you won, or you take nothing.”

https://aurorasblog.com/2013/04/24/t...arding-prizes/
    I don't know what to tell you, my cousin's husband works for Fremantle Productions, and has told me that their shows offer cash alternatives, which are typically taken.* I have no idea why he'd make that up. I also have a friend who was on Wheel, and won some kind of furniture set, and instead took a cash payout. Again, no idea why he'd have made that up, and I can confirm that no such furniture set ever materialized in his apartment.

*Fremantle is involved in The Price is Right, but we have not covered this on a show by show basis - I guess stay off Price is Right if the tax liability from your winnings is a material consideration for you.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

I don't know what to tell you, my cousin's husband works for Fremantle Productions, and has told me that their shows offer cash alternatives, which are typically taken.* I have no idea why he'd make that up. I also have a friend who was on Wheel, and won some kind of furniture set, and instead took a cash payout. Again, no idea why he'd have made that up, and I can confirm that no such furniture set ever materialized in his apartment.

*Fremantle is involved in The Price is Right, but we have not covered this on a show by show basis - I guess stay off Price is Right if the tax liability from your winnings is a material consideration for you.
    That makes sense, as I'm sure the prizes offered are merely part of an advertising package. If the winner takes them, great...but if not...the reason for the prize was the exposure as Bob Barker gushed about the prize....

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I'm reading a lot of people making the claim that James threw the match because of his wager.

The main arguments seem to be:
    1) when he got out buzzed, he didn't appear to be trying to buzz in.
    2) his final jeopardy wager was small

Both are stupid arguments.

1) Part of his buzzer skill comes from minimizing extra movement. He practiced it this way. Keeping the buzzing hand comfortable and eliminating extra movement was all done to reduce the amount of time it took to buzz in. When he successfully buzzed in, it didn't look like he was buzzing in either.
    2) e.g. this is a comment on the NYT article about it:

The scores going into final jeopardy:
    James - 23,400
    Jay- 11,000
    Emma- 26,600

James had to assume that Emma was going to bet at least 20,201 -- the amount she'd need to beat him if he doubled up. (And indeed she did bet exactly that). The only way he could win is if she got it wrong. In that case, as long as he bets between 0 and 17,000 he would win (she would have ended with 6,399, and he would have ended somewhere between 6,400 and 23,400). BUT, he had to make sure he'd beat Jay too. Jay could have gotten to 22,000 - so Jame's real upper limit is $1,399. That way, if he and Emma are both wrong and Jay is right, James wins by a $1.

So both James and Emma made their optimal bets. Only Jay bet incorrectly at 6,000. He shouldn't have bet more than 4,600, with the hope that James stupidly bet it all, and Emma bet the correct amount.

The game turned on "What is Albany" - the 1200 question in Capital "A". She was down 13,600 - 6,400. That got her to 7,600. The next clue was the DD, and she went all in, and got it right. Had James gotten it (and he said he was going to pick the same spot she did), he probably would have gone all in and gotten to 27,600 and on his way to another runaway.
    So I finally watched this episode today -- the backlog of DVR episodes was longer than usual, as the umpteenth demonstration of James' dominance was getting less and less appealing. And because I fast forward to skip over the introductions and interviews, I didn't even notice it was THAT EPISODE until Emma hit her first Daily Double in the second round.

I saw nothing to make me think James was less than competitive, but in his last 2 or 3 games, he seemed a bit fatigued. I would guess that inching closer to the money record was taking a stress toll as well. His final wager confounded viewers mostly because they are used to seeing the second-place finisher wager everything. What they fail to realize is that almost EVERY contestant in that position prior to James (2nd place but within reach of 1st) is doing it wrong. The only time 2nd place should wager everything is if he or she has exactly half of what 1st place has. Otherwise, bid more strategically.

There was a past thread where we (me, gus, and others) discussed wagering strategy, especially from the 2nd place perspective. I believe it was decided that my general approach (wager enough to have $1 more than 1st place has at that moment, forcing 1st place to get it right to win) was better than betting it all, but still not optimal. I also said to disregard the 3rd place contestant, but James did not, bidding enough to stay ahead of 3rd place but not enough to pass 1st place at that moment. He's more of an expert on this than I am, both in terms of training and personal experience. So I could be wrong about that too.

... I have no idea why he'd make that up. ... Again, no idea why he'd have made that up ...
    1. Quit being so gullible.
    2. Find new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I remember "The Eagle has landed", but not what I had for lunch yesterday.
    When my Dad moved to memory care, "what did you have for lunch TODAY" was the first question they asked in his interview. We had come directly from a diner to the interview, but he still had no clue - which was the answer they were looking for!