Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 304

Thread: Jeopardy

  1. #181
    It will be interesting to see if he changes the way the game is played with more big big bets.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he changes the way the game is played with more big big bets.
    The other contestants had already started following James' lead and moving from bottom up / looking for the Daily Double. Emma finally took the next step and went "all in" to keep up with / pass him. Will be curious to see how she plays today (we DVR so haven't seen today's show yet) - does she stick with James' strategy or go back to the traditional top to bottom play?

    It seems like in the past when someone was successful with an "alternative" strategy contestants would attempt the same strategy for a little while, but eventually go back to the "start with the top left clue and work my way down each category" method. You would still get the "Daily Double" hunters in the mix, but they always seemed to try and get them first before racking up any money to make them useful.

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The preferred solution to an apex predator like James is not to find a bigger predator (then what do you do with the even stronger player), but to make the questions easier so it becomes a matter of buzzer timing and luck on the doubles. It certainly seems like the Final Jeopardy question was fairly easy.
    You guys are making me feel dumb...don't know squat about English Lit.

    Another way they could have taken James down would be to make the DDs extremely difficult, knowing he was likely to find them and bet heavily.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    You guys are making me feel dumb...don't know squat about English Lit.
    Eh, for a conspiracist like me it's easy to get interested in all the stuff about Marlowe being Shakespeare and other fun conspiracies

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I never understood this. I wanted him to keep on crushing everyone. I enjoy seeing dynasties and greatness continue for the most part.
    You get to diminishing returns after a while...and it hurts the sport (or in this case, the contests). UConn put a damper on women's BB for a while...too dominant. Meanwhile, the Patriots...winning 6 titles in what, 18 seasons....is a great dynasty, but still leaves room for suspense. Same with Duke's 7 FFs in 9 years. It's all a matter of degree....
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You get to diminishing returns after a while...and it hurts the sport (or in this case, the contests). UConn put a damper on women's BB for a while...too dominant. Meanwhile, the Patriots...winning 6 titles in what, 18 seasons...is a great dynasty, but still leaves room for suspense. Same with Duke's 7 FFs in 9 years. It's all a matter of degree...
    Or who you root for...

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Or who you root for...
    Except Alex, the category was "dynasties in general" for 800....not "dynasties by your favorite teams."
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    The other contestants had already started following James' lead and moving from bottom up / looking for the Daily Double. Emma finally took the next step and went "all in" to keep up with / pass him. Will be curious to see how she plays today (we DVR so haven't seen today's show yet) - does she stick with James' strategy or go back to the traditional top to bottom play?

    It seems like in the past when someone was successful with an "alternative" strategy contestants would attempt the same strategy for a little while, but eventually go back to the "start with the top left clue and work my way down each category" method. You would still get the "Daily Double" hunters in the mix, but they always seemed to try and get them first before racking up any money to make them useful.
    Remember that the episodes your seeing now were taped back in March and April. The current contestants have not seen the hype around James's run nor yet seen the his actual games.



  9. #189
    Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Remember that the episodes your seeing now were taped back in March and April. The current contestants have not seen the hype around James's run nor yet seen the his actual games.
    Good point. OTOH, Emma certainly saw enough to figure it out and some may have then learned from Emma.

  10. #190
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Unfortunate??? I'd be happy to take the $2.5 mil off his hands and pay the taxes for him. In fact I think I'd be OK doing that every year. Not quite the worst problem someone can have.
    Strongly agree. I've always thought one of the best problems to have is a tax problem. I'd feel differently if my tax problems occurred from 1944-1963.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66
    And it is in cash so the payment is available.
    I'd hesitate accepting the tax consequences, if it was not in cash. IMO, some game shows' prize values appear exaggerated. If so, would an immediate charitable contribution be tax prudent?

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    You get to diminishing returns after a while...and it hurts the sport (or in this case, the contests). UConn put a damper on women's BB for a while...too dominant. Meanwhile, the Patriots...winning 6 titles in what, 18 seasons...is a great dynasty, but still leaves room for suspense. Same with Duke's 7 FFs in 9 years. It's all a matter of degree...
    I suppose but it didn't feel like we we're even close to that yet. I haven't followed a lick of women's bball since UConn came back to earth.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The preferred solution to an apex predator like James is not to find a bigger predator (then what do you do with the even stronger player), but to make the questions easier so it becomes a matter of buzzer timing and luck on the doubles. It certainly seems like the Final Jeopardy question was fairly easy.
    Bingo. I don't really know all that much about Shax, though I've taught three or four plays and a buncha sonnets in a survey class. My answer to the question was, "hell, I don't know, Marlowe?" Which was correct. Had it been anyone other than Marlowe...

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  13. #193
    Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    Unfortunate??? I'd be happy to take the $2.5 mil off his hands and pay the taxes for him. In fact I think I'd be OK doing that every year. Not quite the worst problem someone can have.
    LOL, yea, I certainly wouldn't object to making a (post-tax) sum of $1.25 million for about 5 days or so of work (although I guess you could argue that he has spent his entire life accumulating the knowledge that allowed him to win all those games) BUT it still must sting a little to give $1.25 million (or so) back to the government.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Strongly agree. I've always thought one of the best problems to have is a tax problem. I'd feel differently if my tax problems occurred from 1944-1963.



    I'd hesitate accepting the tax consequences, if it was not in cash. IMO, some game shows' prize values appear exaggerated. If so, would an immediate charitable contribution be tax prudent?
    I believe there are a number of glorified pawn brokers who stand outside The Price is Right and other game shows to manage this. Because if you live in an apartment and win a hot tub that you can't use or you win a new car when you just bought a new one and don't need it, the tax consequences of that prize are not good - you are going to owe a few thousand in taxes but have the material item, not the cash to pay the taxes. So the pawn guys offer you a fraction of the value of the prize, you have enough cash to pay taxes and a little left over, and they can go resell it and make a lot of money. Entrepreneurship at its finest...

  15. #195
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I believe there are a number of glorified pawn brokers who stand outside The Price is Right and other game shows to manage this. Because if you live in an apartment and win a hot tub that you can't use or you win a new car when you just bought a new one and don't need it, the tax consequences of that prize are not good - you are going to owe a few thousand in taxes but have the material item, not the cash to pay the taxes. So the pawn guys offer you a fraction of the value of the prize, you have enough cash to pay taxes and a little left over, and they can go resell it and make a lot of money. Entrepreneurship at its finest...
    Great, they’ll save me the hassle of trying to find desiring charities and claiming charitable deductions.

    I’ll still need to get a new phone number, so I don’t have to repeatedly try to explain to my in-laws I didn’t actually “win a lot of money”.

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    BUT it still must sting a little to give $1.25 million (or so) back to the government.
    I truly love America and wouldn’t mind paying my “fair share” of federal taxes. However, I would definitely complain about paying 10-11% ($250k +) to California, if I didn’t live there.

  17. #197
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I truly love America and wouldn’t mind paying my “fair share” of federal taxes. However, I would definitely complain about paying 10-11% ($250k +) to California, if I didn’t live there.
    Top tax bracket in California is 13.3%. Not to turn this into a political discussion, but I work live in NYC and work closely with one person in LA and one in Chicago. My colleague in LA and I laugh at our colleague in Chicago who complains that his income tax might be increased slightly above its current level of 4.95%.

  18. #198
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I hope you are right that everything is "above board" on the show, but (and not to be too cynical) I'm always a little suspicious when large sums of money are involved in situations like this, where backroom, unseen shenanigans can alter who gets those large sums of money (what was the name of the guy in that famous game-show scandal in the 1950's who was being fed the right answers ahead of time, because the show's producers thought he was a very attractive "winner" and and would generate higher ratings for the show? See also the UNC cheating scandal and the shoe companies paying off players and their families).

    I'll take scandals of the 1950s for $600, Alex.

    Who is Charles Van Doren.

  19. #199
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Bingo. I don't really know all that much about Shax, though I've taught three or four plays and a buncha sonnets in a survey class. My answer to the question was, "hell, I don't know, Marlowe?" Which was correct. Had it been anyone other than Marlowe...
    Which is exactly why it's such an easy question. I don't but I'll take a guess? The only other playwright you will come up with is Marlowe. (And if you say John Webster, you're lying.)

    And the only thing anybody remember Ben Johnson doing is writing a memorial poem to Shakespeare, so.

  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Top tax bracket in California is 13.3%.
    That’s probably a better estimate than my 10-11%. I was trying to very quickly blend his California tax rate and deduct any possible business expenses (travel, room, etc.). Being a professional gambler may enable multiple business deductions.

Similar Threads

  1. Double Jeopardy?
    By Jeffrey in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-30-2019, 10:32 AM
  2. Anybody watching Jeopardy?
    By weezie in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 04-22-2019, 07:36 PM
  3. Swahili Category in Jeopardy
    By Neals384 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2018, 08:43 PM
  4. FSU Scandal Thread - Jameis in Jeopardy?
    By Duvall in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 01-27-2016, 07:43 AM
  5. Final Jeopardy
    By madscavenger in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 05:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •