Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Exactly. Jennings was quoted as saying "“Almost all of the contestants know almost all of the answers almost all of the time.”

Great article from The Ringer about how great Jeopardy champs, including Holzhauer, have the button-pushing down to a science
    Can confirm. Close relative was on Jeopardy. Button pressing is everything ... which is kind of too bad IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Can confirm. Close relative was on Jeopardy. Button pressing is everything ... which is kind of too bad IMO.
    Almost everything. You have have the correct answers to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Almost everything. You have have the correct answers to go with it.
    Yes, of course (I s/n have said "everything" in a literal sense), but take note of Ken Jennings' quote. In short, knowing the answers is not so much the difference maker as you might want by design on a quiz show.

Sure, there's a little room for strategy such as with Final Jeopardy (where the buzzer does not come into play) but on the whole, timing it has a disproportionate influence on results.

I've been watching him from his 1st show... (wife and I regularly watch but a person I follow on Twitter works w/ James and mentioned he was going to be on).

He is basically a Jeopardy playing machine.

Yes, he's very quick on the buzzer, but to say that's why he wins would be to discredit him. Yes everyone who gets on Jeopardy is smart but his breadth of knowledge is quite impressive even by Jeopardy standards. He was on another trivia show (The Chase) and he dominated that show as well.

He is very aggressive on his betting but he's not reckless. He's betting aggressively because he thinks it gives him the best chance to win the most money (on that episode and in the long run). You might say his aggressive daily double betting is risking a lot... but I'd assume he would counter that going into final jeopardy with a chance to lose is also risking a lot. So far I believe he's made 10 of the 11 games a "runaway".

The way he's going... the only way I can see him losing is if he misses on 2 daily doubles. He will always double in single jeopardy. In double jeopardy he appears to look more at the scores. He has risked everything in double jeopardy as well but it is not that common.

Ken Jennings was amazing... and Brad Rutter was the only person up until this point to have a claim to be better. James is right there w/ those 2. It's one of the most impressive things I've seen in quite a while (and the comparison to Zion is not that far off).

He has turned Jeopardy into "must watch TV" for my family as well as a lot of other people I know.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    I've been watching him from his 1st show... (wife and I regularly watch but a person I follow on Twitter works w/ James and mentioned he was going to be on).

He is basically a Jeopardy playing machine.

Yes, he's very quick on the buzzer, but to say that's why he wins would be to discredit him. Yes everyone who gets on Jeopardy is smart but his breadth of knowledge is quite impressive even by Jeopardy standards. He was on another trivia show (The Chase) and he dominated that show as well.

He is very aggressive on his betting but he's not reckless. He's betting aggressively because he thinks it gives him the best chance to win the most money (on that episode and in the long run). You might say his aggressive daily double betting is risking a lot... but I'd assume he would counter that going into final jeopardy with a chance to lose is also risking a lot. So far I believe he's made 10 of the 11 games a "runaway".

The way he's going... the only way I can see him losing is if he misses on 2 daily doubles. He will always double in single jeopardy. In double jeopardy he appears to look more at the scores. He has risked everything in double jeopardy as well but it is not that common.

Ken Jennings was amazing... and Brad Rutter was the only person up until this point to have a claim to be better. James is right there w/ those 2. It's one of the most impressive things I've seen in quite a while (and the comparison to Zion is not that far off).

He has turned Jeopardy into "must watch TV" for my family as well as a lot of other people I know.
    I'm with you on must watch. I was at Church last night for 7:00 Mass and taped the show, as I will tonight. Obviously he won from the posts, but I will still watch the tape today.

Well, WTVD has basically told us we won't be seeing Jeopardy tonight b/c of storm coverage. Which means I can't even record it. Assuming I have power.

Uh what James?! Was that a dig at Duke?! I was liking you man...hahaha.

"As Holzhauer continues to blaze a trail through the trivia game and inches closer to Jennings' Jeopardy! title, what's next?

"Probably to keep trying my best to be an above-average husband and father, and occasionally win a bunch of money when Clemson beats Duke by exactly 29 points," he said.

https://www.newsweek.com/jeopardy-le...erview-1402652

Over $1 million now! Jeopardy also launched a “James Tracker”!!

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-...zhauer-tracker

And I read that the show has blown through its winners’ budget for the year. (Developed based on historical results)

They list his occupation as a professional sports gambler, but it's a little more interesting than that. He mostly bets on in game offerings. He has algorithms that he uses and takes advantage of the fact that in game wagering doesn't allow the odds makers time to adequately vet the odds. In an interview he mentioned that the gambling history really helps with his risk tolerance. Long ago, he stopped thinking about single wagers as money and instead jsut as numbers. His daily double wagers are more than double that of Ken Jennings.

His run has been impressive. I can only see him losing if he misses a daily double late in the first round and starts the second round with not much money and either doesn't find the daily doubles in the second round or misses at least one of those. That might give one of the other contestants a shot in final jeopardy! and at that point maybe he gets a category he doesn't like.

LOL! James now has the TOP SEVEN highest dollar wins in Jeorpardy history.

The show has been on since 1984 and it's been since 2001 that the current dollar values have been in play. Absolutely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    He mostly bets on in game offerings.
    Interesting. Is he making in-game bets or in-play bets?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Interesting. Is he making in-game bets or in-play bets?
    This is a good article about his gambling and strategies.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...-trebek-amazed

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post

And I read that the show has blown through its winners’ budget for the year. (Developed based on historical results)
    I bet they’re charging a lot more for ads while he’s on the show.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I bet they’re charging a lot more for ads while he’s on the show.
    Can they quickly reprice ads? I suspect most advertisers have fixed pricing contracts that probably are not renegotiated daily, weekly, or even monthly.

I doubt that is a serious problem since most of their operating budget must go to Alex Trebek's $10 million annual salary. Given they shoot about 5 episodes per day, Trebek must make about $1 million every week (5 days) he works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Can they quickly reprice ads? I suspect most advertisers have fixed pricing contracts that probably are not renegotiated daily, weekly, or even monthly.
    I think most of the ads are pretty locked in for now. However, there are likely one or two per episode with a little flexibilty. Unlike something like the Super Bowl, I think at least some advertisers are not specifically buying ads during Jeopardy on a specific night so can be moved around, allowing channels to now sell specifically against Jeopardy during this streak. So there might be some short term ad revenue boost but it likely isn’t that big.

The average win is around $20k. James is averaging... about $75k? So in his 15 wins... 15*75/20 = 56 or so. So he's won an extra 41 or so average wins. Which is about 8 weeks of shows. I doubt that's really going to break their bank and the publicity has to be worth it at least in the short term (they probably haven't had this much interest in Jeopardy since Jennings was on.

Game shows are cheap to produce (relatively) and make a ton of money...there was recently a bidding war involving renewal by some network owned stations regarding Jeopardy, and while profitability figures are closely guarded, it is assumed to be one of the most profitable shows on television.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Game shows are cheap to produce (relatively) and make a ton of money...there was recently a bidding war involving renewal by some network owned stations regarding Jeopardy, and while profitability figures are closely guarded, it is assumed to be one of the most profitable shows on television.
    This. They can easily afford to pay him his winnings.

If they didn't pay Trebek so much it would be even easier. I'm happy to take the gig, and I'll do it for 1/4 of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This. They can easily afford to pay him his winnings.

If they didn't pay Trebek so much it would be even easier. I'm happy to take the gig, and I'll do it for 1/4 of his salary.
    The job will be open soon. Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.