Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

His Vegas Strong $10,117 bet, very cool.

So I assume we've all seen the show?!

1st off... not sure if people saw but they made a rule that you can't give shoutouts in your final Jeopardy answer any more... which puts a bit of a damper on James' fun but he was probably running out of people anyway!

2nd... this game. Adam came away w/ just shy of $54k. Which would be the 21st highest total in Jeopardy history and... unfortunately for him, the highest losing score ever on Jeopardy.

There are 2 weird bets I'd like to discuss. 1st off, Adam hits the 2nd daily double in double jeopardy 2/3 of the way through the board. He has $13k, James has $28,317 and Jasmine has $7,400. He correctly bets a lot ($12k) but why not go for it all?! If you miss and have $1k then you're likely getting 3rd, w/ a shot at 2nd but you have to play to win the game! He actually has a chance to overtake James heading into final! Go for it!!

Then final Jeopardy I think Adam and Jasmine both horribly mis-bid. James has $33,517. Adam has $27k. Jasmine has $7800.

So start w/ James' bet... There's no way he's not betting to win if they both get it right. So he has to bet at least $20,484. Putting him at $54,001 if he gets it right, $13,033 if wrong. He can bet more but somewhere close to the minimum to guarantee he wins if he's right is the obvious bet for him.

What about Adam? I think Adam has to bet to win if they both get it wrong. He can't win if they both get it right and he can still bet to win if he gets it right and James gets it wrong. So Adam needs at least 2x what Jasmine has to eliminate her... so he can bet up to $11.4k. By betting it all Adam put himself in only a position to win if he got it right and James got it wrong.

Meanwhile... Jasmine... she's eliminated if Adam bets wisely but there's no guarantee on that. She bet nothing and eliminated herself from the game. If she had bet it all she would have actually won if the other 2 got the final wrong. Gah.

Great game by Adam and has to be disappointing to lose w/ such a good score.

Oh. Also. Incredibly the only wrong answer of the night was James' first answer. None of the contestants missed for the rest of the show.
    Last edited by InSpades; 04-30-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Nights like last night, I almost wonder if he's just screwing with 'em. Not a good bet to bet against him getting final jeopardy.

IMO, yesterday's show had the strongest group of human contestants in the history of Jeopardy. Adam is an excellent player.

Quote Originally Posted by InSpades View Post
    Oh. Also. Incredibly the only wrong answer of the night was James' first answer. None of the contestants missed for the rest of the show.
    To be honest, I was not keeping count. However, didn't Jasmine miss final jeopardy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    To be honest, I was not keeping count. However, didn't Jasmine miss final jeopardy?
    Oh yes, she did. I wasn't counting final. Though she bet $0 so...

Oh yes, she did. I wasn't counting final. Though she bet $0 so...
    I strongly agree with you. She should have bet enough to win, if the other two contestants missed. I'm not sure why anyone would try to finish second.

Great game by Adam and has to be disappointing to lose w/ such a good score.

I read an article, or maybe someone linked to it from here that talked about the options a show like Jeopardy has to "get rid of" someone that is crushing it like James.

1) Try and find categories he doesn't know about (but other contest do). This can bring into question the integrity of the game if it's obvious to the viewers. It can also be hard to find those categories with someone like James or Ken.

2) Find someone even stronger to take over as the new predator. The problem is you just made your problem worse

3) Make the game easier by making it so more contestants get the answer right and it becomes a race to the buzzer.

I wonder if Jeopardy is onto #3?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I read an article, or maybe someone linked to it from here that talked about the options a show like Jeopardy has to "get rid of" someone that is crushing it like James.
    Why would Jeopardy want to "get rid of" James? He must be great for ratings.

1) Try and find categories he doesn't know about (but other contest do). This can bring into question the integrity of the game if it's obvious to the viewers. It can also be hard to find those categories with someone like James or Ken.

2) Find someone even stronger to take over as the new predator. The problem is you just made your problem worse

3) Make the game easier by making it so more contestants get the answer right and it becomes a race to the buzzer.

My understanding is that the buzzer is one of the strongest parts of James' game...don't know if that helps much.

I actually had the same idea in regards to #3. I got more questions right than I usually do yesterday (and my wife got her fair share as well).

Another strategy they could use is give harder daily doubles. Since he's clearly shown he will go for it. I think for now they are good w/ James being the end boss but eventually they will need him to step aside.

Given the info they gather when contestants are chosen, they could conceivably provide some categories which are up a particular person's proverbial alley...I've certainly seen plenty of categories which seem to strongly favor a particular player, I've assumed that's just by chance, but who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Given the info they gather when contestants are chosen, they could conceivably provide some categories which are up a particular person's proverbial alley...I've certainly seen plenty of categories which seem to strongly favor a particular player, I've assumed that's just by chance, but who knows?
    Like if I ever made it on Jeopardy the same game that "1990s ACC Basketball" was a category. That would be some coincidence.

I actually had the same idea in regards to #3. I got more questions right than I usually do yesterday (and my wife got her fair share as well).

Another strategy they could use is give harder daily doubles. Since he's clearly shown he will go for it. I think for now they are good w/ James being the end boss but eventually they will need him to step aside.

Both my wife and I watched last night, for the first time (I realize that we may have been the only people in this country who have NOT watched James play!). He is very impressive in his level of knowledge of many different categories and he is very calm and strategic in how he plays the game. Adam gave him a tough game but came up just short in the end. My wife did ask if Jeopardy has any limitations on how many games a contestant can win or is it just until you lose? I think he could be there for a LONG time, unless Jeopardy can find some other superstar to challenge him or he just misses a Final Jeopardy question.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    [/B]

Both my wife and I watched last night, for the first time (I realize that we may have been the only people in this country who have NOT watched James play!). He is very impressive in his level of knowledge of many different categories and he is very calm and strategic in how he plays the game. Adam gave him a tough game but came up just short in the end. My wife did ask if Jeopardy has any limitations on how many games a contestant can win or is it just until you lose? I think he could be there for a LONG time, unless Jeopardy can find some other superstar to challenge him or he just misses a Final Jeopardy question.
    Last night was the first time he wasn't out of reach at Final Jeopardy.

[/B]

Ken Jennings lasted 74 games. I believe you last until you lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ken Jennings lasted 74 games. I believe you last until you lose.
    I'd like to see James vs. Ken vs (whoever is the number three all-time winner). Now, that would be "must see" TV.

[/B]

I thought that when Jeopardy first started there was a limitation on wins by the champion. Obviously that has changed over the years given so many lengthy win streaks, but I thought when it started there was in fact a limitation. But then again, I go back to the Art Fleming days.

5 days had been the limit on win streaks up until 2003 at which point it became unlimited.

The current point values have been in effect since 2001.

1985 is when the rule was added that the host must be finished reading the clue before anyone can push their buzzer to answer.

I'd like to see James vs. Ken vs (whoever is the number three all-time winner). Now, that would be "must see" TV.
    Brad Rutter is actually the all time Jeopardy champion. He was around when the limit was five wins a row, but has won all the Tournament of Champions he's been invited to including beating Jennings. He's never lost a game (except to IBM's computer Watson).