Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    He appears to have had a relatively successful career.
    But, he is not Jeopardy host material.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    ... I am confident that I could do it ...
    Ozzie as Duke's offensive coordinator (or is it AD?) ... rsvman as "Jeopardy" host ... we can say we knew them when ...

I wonder what Jon Stewart is up to these days?

Speaking of successors, I was skeptical when Trevor Noah took over The Daily Show, but I've grown to like him, and I think he's settled in and having fun with it. Not better than Stewart, of course, but still entertaining.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Why not Will Ferrell? He has experience, and from the looks of it, would enjoy having better-behaved contestants.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    This is a good article about his gambling and strategies.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...-trebek-amazed
    Ha, what's funny is that my friend is mentioned in that article, but for some reason isn't in the picture at the pub.

Anyway, I've enjoyed watching James absolutely crush it. I'm not bored - in fact I hold my breath every time an opponent (having answered correctly) picks a new question - because I don't want them to take a Daily Double! I enjoy watching greatness in any competition, and we're seeing it here.

The downside is that I've been trying to get on Jeopardy for awhile (can do well on the online tests, and even went to regionals once where I did well... but still not lucky enough to be called), and James has been using some tactics I was hoping to deploy (DD hunting, larger than usual DD wagers*, etc.) and has even taken it to a whole new level, and will probably popularize them.
    Thus by the time I ever get called, those might be the norm instead of something that throws off other contestants.

Of course, I didn't know he was in close contact with my friend (former contestant) who lives in Vegas too - whom I guess has been discussing Jeopardy with both of us over the years

* It irks the heck out of me that I see all the people bet like $1600 on a DD in Double Jeopardy - ugh! What a waste. So much EV being left on the table!
    And then some of the Final Jeopardy betting - don't get me started. These people are smart enough to get on the show, but can't be bothered to spend 10 minutes thinking thru decent wagering strategy, SMH...
    A text without a context is a pretext.

Our local TV station blacked out tonight's James Holzhauer domination on Jeopardy for Day 2 of NFL Boredom. Yeesh.
    "Quality is not an option!"

Wow he had a real game on his hands. His top competitor got the Daily Double and went all in. But he missed it and lost it all. It would have been almost even. It shows how good James is. That strategy works so well for him due to his incredible skill set.

The same guy has gotten both Daily doubles so far. He got the 2nd one right.

Update for those who are stuck watching the draft round 2 - James didn't get a single Daily Double, but his competitors missed 2/3.

Set your DVR for tonight 1:35 ABC——WTVD—-right after Nightline tonight to seeJeopard and Sir James

Wow!

I really enjoy watching Holzhauer. His range of knowledge is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I really enjoy watching Holzhauer. His range of knowledge is incredible.
    I enjoy watching super-smart guys like his competitor who don't know that Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo finally led the Cubs to a world series but know so much about the other categories.

Dude is the Zion of Jeopardy! Pardon if someone used this upthread.

(as an aside, did you see where Vlad Guerroro's son is being called the "Zion of baseball" by some on his team? ) now back to the Jeopardy thread and this mental freak of nature...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Dude is the Zion of Jeopardy! Pardon if someone used this upthread.

(as an aside, did you see where Vlad Guerroro's son is being called the "Zion of baseball" by some on his team? ) now back to the Jeopardy thread and this mental freak of nature...
    Saw that! I think it was Stroman who used the phrase, which makes sense.

Yeah, it was Stroman...looking at the article and the boxscore, funny thing was ALL the talk was about VLad and his hit, not a single word in the ESPN article mentioning that Stroman threw seven innings of one hit ball, nada...then some nitwit came in and promptly gave up two runs, costing him the win...

I know Jeopardy episodes are filmed in clusters - they do not film one a day. So do Holzhauer's opponents know how well he is doing before they step on stage? And are they aware of his somewhat unique strategies? I believe the episodes are filmed far enough ahead of time that they likely have not seen them on TV. But while they are waiting to play do they get to watch earlier episodes being filmed?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I know Jeopardy episodes are filmed in clusters - they do not film one a day. So do Holzhauer's opponents know how well he is doing before they step on stage? And are they aware of his somewhat unique strategies? I believe the episodes are filmed far enough ahead of time that they likely have not seen them on TV. But while they are waiting to play do they get to watch earlier episodes being filmed?
    they probably get to see the carcasses hauled out on stretchers.

Yes, they film 5 in one day (the week's shows) with about 30-minute breaks in between for wardrobe changes (winner) and make-up. And you sit in the small audience (almost completely contestants with family and friends who came along) to watch the show tapings before you are called. On my day the computers broke down for the first time in the game's history. They don't pay your way out there, or even cover the hotel room, and after a 4+ hour delay they said they were sending us home. Also told us that their schedule was booked for a few months and they didn't know when they would bring us back. Oh yeah, they make you sign a contract before you go out to L.A. that there is no guarantee you will be on the show.

So naturally, we were all freaking out. Except the returning champion of course. I had my parents, girlfriend, and her 2 kids with me from Florida. We were literally in the green room packing our things when they ran in and said the computers were fixed and we were going to be taping. They really rushed us, specifically telling us they didn't want to pay overtime to the crew, and there was only a 5-minute break between shows. The champ never lost his rhythm and steamrolled us. I'm still supremely p'ed off 15+ years later and have never watched the show again.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    they probably get to see the carcasses hauled out on stretchers.
    At least most of theses deaths are swift and painless, relatively...

I only caught the second half but it was a very exciting episode tonight.

I only caught the second half but it was a very exciting episode tonight.
    Hey, it’s just playing now where I am! Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Hey, it’s just playing now where I am! Spoiler!
    I purposely did not disclose the outcome, just that it was exciting.