Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Nice Washington Post piece on Ken Jennings and the GOAT tournament. I like Jennings a lot more now. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...754_story.html
    Great read. Thanks for sharing!

Pickleball!

For some reason, Ken winning led to last night's episode of "The Goldbergs" being entitled "Pickleball."

One of the two themes was Adam trying to make the varsity pickleball team. Any input on why Jeopardy had any impact on the title?

BTW: Pickleball is now very much a thing, although it really wasn't in the 80s. It is much more than pushing a buzzer with your thumb and asking questions ...

Nice article on Rutter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...happened-brad/

Rutter seems like a nice guy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Maybe he was sick? {Sorry; cross-pollinating from the Clemson thread.}
    Classic trap game.

They played the 2nd ever Jeopardy show last night, and it was pretty entertaining. The set looked so cheap, and the camera was a little shaky zooming in on the clues.

Further dating the show, when they got to the meet the contestants part, Alex apologized because he thought they must have mixed up their occupations in the introduction. It turns out, though, that the introductions were correct. I guess in 1984 Alex just had a hard time believing that there was a male nurse and a female carpenter among the 3 contestants!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    They played the 2nd ever Jeopardy show last night, and it was pretty entertaining. The set looked so cheap, and the camera was a little shaky zooming in on the clues.

Further dating the show, when they got to the meet the contestants part, Alex apologized because he thought they must have mixed up their occupations in the introduction. It turns out, though, that the introductions were correct. I guess in 1984 Alex just had a hard time believing that there was a male nurse and a female carpenter among the 3 contestants!
    On those initial shows, Alex really ran the hurry up offense...it was like he was on speed or something..I guess at some point they figured out how to run the show in a much more relaxed manner.

Couldn't have been the 2nd ever Jeopardy show - perhaps the 2nd ever of this version. The original (daytime) ran when I was in elementary school with Art Fleming as host (1964). Went to 1975; Alex took over in 1984 when it was syndicated as an evening show.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    On those initial shows, Alex really ran the hurry up offense...it was like he was on speed or something..I guess at some point they figured out how to run the show in a much more relaxed manner.
    Yes! I am watching and it is exhausting. I also feel that if I could go back in time and go on Jeopardy of 1984, I could kick butt! Also, loved how the not-so-smart returning champion, in the lead, wagered everything on Final Jeopardy, no one got it right, so NO ONE got to come back! Oops!

Netflix has a collection of Jeopardy episodes, including some from the very early seasons. Agree about the cheap looking set and shaky camera work, but also the buzzer noise when time expired was very off-putting!

It's jarring to see something so familiar but with a few strong details changed. Kind of like seeing episodes of earlier shows Trebek hosted before Jeopardy.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Netflix has a collection of Jeopardy episodes, including some from the very early seasons. Agree about the cheap looking set and shaky camera work, but also the buzzer noise when time expired was very off-putting!

It's jarring to see something so familiar but with a few strong details changed. Kind of like seeing episodes of earlier shows Trebek hosted before Jeopardy.
    I'm just glad they got rid of the audience's clapping and reactions throughout the game.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

I need to see if YouTube has any episodes of the Wizard of Odds. That's the first show I remember watching with Alex as host.

I still think of Art Fleming as "Classic" Jeopardy. For most of its run on NBC, it was on at noon, NYC time. Got to watch most of it running home from school for lunch (ah, those were the days. Go home for lunch for elementary school!)

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Couldn't have been the 2nd ever Jeopardy show - perhaps the 2nd ever of this version. The original (daytime) ran when I was in elementary school with Art Fleming as host (1964). Went to 1975; Alex took over in 1984 when it was syndicated as an evening show.
    Jeopardy did not exist before Alex Trebek. You were watching a different show called Jeopardy. I know it's confusing, but stare hard enough at the names and you'll figure it out!

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Jeopardy did not exist before Alex Trebek. You were watching a different show called Jeopardy. I know it's confusing, but stare hard enough at the names and you'll figure it out!
    Get off my lawn!

Ken Jennings has been named the "first interim guest host" of Jeopardy! Article says there will be a series of guest hosts (none besides Jennings identified to date) and that no long-term replacement host will be named at this time. His shows begin airing January 11.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Ken Jennings has been named the "first interim guest host" of Jeopardy! Article says there will be a series of guest hosts (none besides Jennings identified to date) and that no long-term replacement host will be named at this time. His shows begin airing January 11.
    Good way to deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Guess that spoiled my plan, which was that I would take over as full-time replacement....

Well

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Guess that spoiled my plan, which was that I would take over as full-time replacement...
    Patience, Grasshopper!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Guess that spoiled my plan, which was that I would take over as full-time replacement...
    You don’t want to immediately follow a legend. Let Jennings fail then come in to save the day. But you will have to beat me for the job! And my wife, who was a contestant before I met her.

Ken will probably do well, but I suspect we'll finally realize how difficult it is to read all those clues quickly, clearly, and without stumbling...Alex made it look far easier than it is...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ken will probably do well, but I suspect we'll finally realize how difficult it is to read all those clues quickly, clearly, and without stumbling...Alex made it look far easier than it is...
    Not to mention responding to every correct answer. It kind of goes under the radar, but if you pay attention, every time somebody comes up with the correct answer he has to respond. Sometimes he says "yes," or "correct," or "X is right," or, "that's the one," or whatever. He changes it up so it's not always the same.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust