Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeopardy

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    This. They can easily afford to pay him his winnings.

If they didn't pay Trebek so much it would be even easier. I'm happy to take the gig, and I'll do it for 1/4 of his salary.
    IMO, not this. Trebek is critical to the show's success and has won 5 Emmy Awards for a reason.

I can easily understand paying Trebek $10 million per year. I can't easily understand paying Vanna White $10 million per year to flip letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    IMO, not this. Trebek is critical to the show's success and has won 5 Emmy Awards for a reason.

I can easily understand paying Trebek $10 million per year. I can't easily understand paying Vanna White $10 million per year to flip letters.
    Judge Judy earned $147 Million last year! That's crazy talk. Granted, ONLY $47 million was salary. The remaining $100 million was for the rights to the past shows.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieb.../#562ed1ad48d6

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Judge Judy earned $147 Million last year! That's crazy talk. Granted, ONLY $47 million was salary. The remaining $100 million was for the rights to the past shows.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieb.../#562ed1ad48d6
    She was very financially prudent for originally owning/keeping the rights to her shows! Many musicians should have done the same with their songs!

She was very financially prudent for originally owning/keeping the rights to her shows! Many musicians should have done the same with their songs!
    It usually depends on how hungry you are when you write it.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It usually depends on how hungry you are when you write it.
    I think ignorance played a major role...

https://www.awal.com/blog/maintainin...s-as-an-artist

Sure, Trebek is great, and the Jeopardy-watching crowd loves him, in part just due to familiarity.

But it's not like the job is brain science/rocket surgery. I am confident that I could do it. Would I be Trebek? No, of course not. I would have my own style, which differs from his. Would people want Trebek back? Probably, at least at first. But I could do the job and do it well, and the show would continue to be a success without him.

Trebek was likely a large part of Jeopardy's success, but now that the train has a lot of momentum, I do not believe that he is still mission critical. A large part of the appeal of the show is in its format. Merv knew what he was doing when he created the show.

Sadly, Trebek is likely not much longer for this world. Even if he survives the pancreatic cancer there has to come a time when he retires. Is Jeopardy going to go off the air when that happens? No. possible. way. The show itself is now iconic, and it will outlive either Trebek's death or his retirement (I hope it is the latter, but I fear it will be the former).
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Sure, Trebek is great, and the Jeopardy-watching crowd loves him, in part just due to familiarity.

But it's not like the job is brain science/rocket surgery. I am confident that I could do it. Would I be Trebek? No, of course not. I would have my own style, which differs from his. Would people want Trebek back? Probably, at least at first. But I could do the job and do it well, and the show would continue to be a success without him.

Trebek was likely a large part of Jeopardy's success, but now that the train has a lot of momentum, I do not believe that he is still mission critical. A large part of the appeal of the show is in its format. Merv knew what he was doing when he created the show.

Sadly, Trebek is likely not much longer for this world. Even if he survives the pancreatic cancer there has to come a time when he retires. Is Jeopardy going to go off the air when that happens? No. possible. way. The show itself is now iconic, and it will outlive either Trebek's death or his retirement (I hope it is the latter, but I fear it will be the former).
    Add to the Cancer issue the fact that he will be 79 in July. Time always wins.

I'm betting either Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter takes over for Trebek when he leaves (for whatever reason, hopefully just retirement). BUT, I would vote for Austin Rogers, although he probably wouldn't be interested.

Not even to “flip.” Just to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I'm betting either Ken Jennings or Brad Rutter takes over for Trebek when he leaves (for whatever reason, hopefully just retirement). BUT, I would vote for Austin Rogers, although he probably wouldn't be interested.
    I think Rutter would be a better fit than Jennings. Jennings is a bit too awkward, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I think Rutter would be a better fit than Jennings. Jennings is a bit too awkward, imo.
    Is this a coaching tree type thing? What is the allure of a former contestant?

I hope it’s not Ryan Seacrest

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    I hope it’s not Ryan Seacrest
    I'm going with Dawkins, Hurley or Capel
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I don't get why it can't be me!?!?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I don't get why it can't be me!?!?
    Does the phrase "face for radio" mean anything to you?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    With all due respect, that's rather presumptuous of you to assume rsvman has the voice for radio.

With all due respect, that's rather presumptuous of you to assume rsvman has the voice for radio.
    He's off to a good start as least with his outstanding vocabulary/grammar/bulletin board communication skills.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac
    He's off to a good start as least with his outstanding vocabulary/grammar/bulletin board communication skills.
    The same was said of Gilbert Gottfried.

The same was said of Gilbert Gottfried.
    He appears to have had a relatively successful career.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I'm going with Dawkins, Hurley or Capel
    Brad Stevens. It is a done deal behind closed doors. Book it.