Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wasn’t his story arc resolved in VI? Seems to me that the story of Rey and maybe Luke are the ones to be resolved.

Lots of ways it can go.
    The Rise of Skywalker should probably have something to do with the rise of a Skywalker, the last being Leia's son, Ben Solo, aka: Kylo Ren.

In the teaser, there is a brief clip of Rey and Kylo together destroying a foe. Prediction (spoiler alert?): She redeems Kylo as his uncle Luke redeemed his grandfather Anakin.

Knowing what will happen won't spoil it for me.

Can JJ undue the mess RJ made of the Rey lineage story?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am seeing it at a screening on Tuesday. I would say I am really excited but that my expectations are kinda low. Here is how I would rate all the Star Wars movies... only about 50% of them have been good.

Great: New Hope, Empire, Rogue One
    Good: Force Awakens, Last Jedi, Return of the Jedi
    Ok: Solo
    Bad: Revenge of the Sith
    Awful: Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones

-Jason "I'm betting this one will fall right around the 'Good' range" Evans
    Last Jedi does not belong on the same level as Force Awakens. It is a big step below. I'd move Force Awakens up - it is much better than good, but it is not as good as Rogue One or New Hope.

The Ewoks prevent Return of the Jedi from being good, not even Leia in a bikini can save it. The dialogue is almost as bad as the prequels. Solo is a much better movie.

I am seeing it at a screening on Tuesday. I would say I am really excited but that my expectations are kinda low. Here is how I would rate all the Star Wars movies... only about 50% of them have been good.

-Jason "I'm betting this one will fall right around the 'Good' range" EVans
    I needed some time to be thoughtful about using the Jason Evans Star Wars scale.
    100% aligned on Great.

The grey areas come in for me around an overall rating for pieces/parts compared to the whole.

I’d throw Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones into Good fully acknowledging there are awful parts. I’d equate there are awful parts of Return of the Jedi also.

The newer ones are tougher for me to evaluate.
    Force Awakens is good, and yet so derivative with very little original content. Last Jedi is more original and has some really cringe worthy moments along with a lot of derivative moments.

I have high hopes for Rise of Skywalker.

All I really wanted out of the sequel trilogy was original storytelling in the SW universe. There have been so many loose ends. Rey’s lineage (or not, did Last Jedi really resolve that?) ? I didn’t need a rehash of Tattoine (Jakku) or Hoth (salt planet). Snoke?

Fingers crossed that Thursday night amidst the tears for “it’s over” there is also a heart of joy for “it happened”.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I needed some time to be thoughtful about using the Jason Evans Star Wars scale.
    100% aligned on Great.

The grey areas come in for me around an overall rating for pieces/parts compared to the whole.

I’d throw Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones into Good fully acknowledging there are awful parts. I’d equate there are awful parts of Return of the Jedi also.

The newer ones are tougher for me to evaluate.
    Force Awakens is good, and yet so derivative with very little original content. Last Jedi is more original and has some really cringe worthy moments along with a lot of derivative moments.

I have high hopes for Rise of Skywalker.

All I really wanted out of the sequel trilogy was original storytelling in the SW universe. There have been so many loose ends. Rey’s lineage (or not, did Last Jedi really resolve that?) ? I didn’t need a rehash of Tattoine (Jakku) or Hoth (salt planet). Snoke?

Fingers crossed that Thursday night amidst the tears for “it’s over” there is also a heart of joy for “it happened”.
    SonPK is 15. Loves movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Coen Bros., In Bruges, etc. so he is not just a blow-it-up-CGI post-millennial. Having said that, he likes the prequels (especially III: Revenge of the Siths) more than VI and VII.

Maybe it’s a generational thing. But Star Wars probably shouldn’t target folks like me. I was eleven when the first movie came out and it changed my world. But at 53, I’m not the target audience nor should I be.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    SonPK is 15. Loves movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove, Coen Bros., In Bruges, etc. so he is not just a blow-it-up-CGI post-millennial. Having said that, he likes the prequels (especially III: Revenge of the Siths) more than VI and VII.

Maybe it’s a generational thing. But Star Wars probably shouldn’t target folks like me. I was eleven when the first movie came out and it changed my world. But at 53, I’m not the target audience nor should I be.
    Can I agree with you in principle and still shed a tear wishing I were the target audience? 😢

Based on the Mandalorian, I wish Disney would turn Star Wars over to Jon Favreau and give us the movies I hope for.

-Jason "I'm betting this one will fall right around the 'Good' range" EVans
    Since a few others have offered their takes, I'll join in:

Good: Force Awakens, Return of the Jedi, Revenge of the Sith (last ~30 mins), Solo
    Ok: Attack of the Clones
    Bad: Last Jedi
    Awful: Phantom Menace, Revenge of the Sith (first two hours)

A few months ago I probably would have included Last Jedi with I and III, but once it became available on Netflix I embarked on a massive eneavor to convince myself I liked it by watching it over and over (and over...not entirely comfortable admitting how many times I probably watched, although they weren't all necessarily "active" watching). The bad parts don't annoy me quite as much anymore, I was almost tempted to move it up to "OK".

I probably won't be able to see it until the 23rd, so I won't be active in this thread after the next couple days. Going in with low expectations and great curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    PS...if you make your judgement on a movie that is total mind candy by words that are written from folks who may or may or not have read a script, and you think it does not "look" good, then skip it.

I've only watched the trailers. And I can't wait. But then, I'm not a wordsmith. (Thank the baby Yoda, Lucas wasn't either.)

PS...The Rise of Skywalker GET TICKETS NOW!!!! (Trailers told me so 20 times)
    We bought tickets yesterday for a Friday matinee!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Since a few others have offered their takes, I'll join in:
    In for a penny, in for a pound

Awesome: New Hope, Empire
    Great: Rogue One
    Good: Force Awakens, Return of the Jedi
    Bad: Last Jedi
    Awful: Revenge of the Sith, Attack of the Clones
    Beyond Awful: Phantom Menace

I know a lot of folks like Revenge of the Sith...but friends don't leave their bestie dismembered to die by a river of lava while running off with their pregnant wife. No wonder Vader turned evil. I would to. Obi Wan did Annie wrong in this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I know a lot of folks like Revenge of the Sith...but friends don't leave their bestie dismembered to die by a river of lava while running off with their pregnant wife. No wonder Vader turned evil. I would to. Obi Wan did Annie wrong in this movie.
    I think a pretty solid argument could be made that they were no longer friends at that point. I mean, Annie had personally massacred a bunch of little kids and been part of a plan to kill pretty much all of Obi Wan's other friends... plus Annie is dismembered and laying next to a river of lava because Annie was dead set on killing Obi Wan. I'd say conventional friendship rules kinda go out the window when you are sword fighting to the death.

-Jason "I am seeing Rise of Skywalker at 2pm ET today!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I know a lot of folks like Revenge of the Sith...but friends don't leave their bestie dismembered to die by a river of lava while running off with their pregnant wife.
    That may be the most unique take on a movie I have ever read.

I think a pretty solid argument could be made that they were no longer friends at that point. I mean, Annie had personally massacred a bunch of little kids and been part of a plan to kill pretty much all of Obi Wan's other friends... plus Annie is dismembered and laying next to a river of lava because Annie was dead set on killing Obi Wan. I'd say conventional friendship rules kinda go out the window when you are sword fighting to the death.

Hmmm, I've not kept up with the modern versions of the bro code, but are such minor transgressions an issue in this day and age?

When will the podcast be posted?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    When will the podcast be posted?
    I'll aim to have it up tonight. Thanks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I understand that...but I still say you finish someone off in that situation. We know Anakin turned evil because he saw the threat that Obi Wan was...he was just trying to protect Padme. In the end isn't that what it all comes down to? What a man will do to try and protect his family? Obi Wan's actions at the end is what caused all that other bad stuff to go down. He wanted the power to save and protect Padme.

Tier 1: ESB
    Tier 2: ANH, TLJ, TFA
    Tier 3: Rogue One, Solo
    Tier 4: RotJ
    Tier 5: RotS
    Tier 6: Phantom Menace
    Tier 7: AotC

I understand some of the criticisms with TLJ, but I do not understand the outright hatred of the film. I thought Rian made a lot of bold, interesting decisions that could have had phenomenal pay off in TRoS. Were there moments (Canto Bight) I didn't care for? Sure. I could probably say the same about every SW film, bar ESB.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I understand some of the criticisms with TLJ, but I do not understand the outright hatred of the film. I thought Rian made a lot of bold, interesting decisions that could have had phenomenal pay off in TRoS.
    Mine begins and ends with the Princess Lea scene. After her death, I would have just made that the end. Can we also talk about fuel? WTF did that come from? How about whinny *** Po? He's worse that Luke in A New Hope. Milking a sea cow thing? What about those penguin things on the island? Luke dying from a far? Those stupid ships that the resistance used on the salt planet? Gravity bombs in space? A completely useless side quest? I could go on and on.

My ranking system is really simple:

Great - A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back
    Very Good - Return of the Jedi
    Bad - everything else. I have yet to be able to completely watch any of the other films in this series (although god knows I've tried). Heck, I still can't stand the newer ending to Return/Jedi because of Lucas' stupidity. Give me the original ending you *****!

Sorry, this topic really riles me up.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    My ranking system is really simple:

Great - A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back
    Very Good - Return of the Jedi
    Bad - everything else. I have yet to be able to completely watch any of the other films in this series (although god knows I've tried). Heck, I still can't stand the newer ending to Return/Jedi because of Lucas' stupidity. Give me the original ending you *****!

The changed ending is bad, but the changed musical scene at Jabba's Palace is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Heck, I still can't stand the newer ending to Return/Jedi because of Lucas' stupidity. Give me the original ending you *****!

The changed ending is bad, but the changed musical scene at Jabba's Palace is even worse.
    Greedo says, "Hold my beer".

Han Shot First! Never forget!

Greedo says, "Hold my beer".

Han Shot First! Never forget!

That change was dumb, but it happens pretty fast and doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the movie. The musical numbers (Jabba's Palace and Endor) feel like they last for hours​ so it is a lot harder to just ignore.

That change was dumb, but it happens pretty fast and doesn't really detract from my enjoyment of the movie. The musical numbers (Jabba's Palace and Endor) feel like they last for hours​ so it is a lot harder to just ignore.
    Yes, but it changes Han's entire character. He was a amoral smuggler willing to kill a bounty hunter trying too hard...to a good guy just defending himself. So bad...and so not needed. Part of the appeal of Han is his transition from an amoral smuggler to a rebel in it for the cause.