Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Had the chance to see it yesterday. Thought it was a blast. I will not argue that it’s a better film than The Last Jedi, but I will say it’s a better Star Wars movie than its predecessor. People will say there’s too much fan service but sometimes that’s what some movies are about. Sometimes you watch a movie to just have a good time.

I like to sometimes look at the wisdom of the crowd. With hundreds of thousands of user ratings, I wanted to see how the full Star Wars cannon would rank. Have a look.

1. Empire Strikes Back 8.7
    2. A New Hope - 8.6
    3. Return of the Jedi - 8.3 -- This feels a little high, but I think the nostalgia is strong with this one and it is clear that the original trilogy is truly beloved
    4. The Force Awakens - 7.9
    5. Rogue One - 7.8 -- I know a lot of us would move this one up, but not having Luke, Leia, Han, and the others makes it hard to score too highly
    6. Revenge of The Sith - 7.5 -- You may pick your jaw up off the floor now... this film is actually rated close to Rogue One... maybe that whole crowd wisdom thing was a mistake
    7. The Last Jedi - 7.1 -- Critics love it, many fans hate it
    8. Rise of Skywalker - 7.0 -- Fans love it, many critics hate it
    9. Solo - 6.9 -- Whew, apparently it takes a lot to score much below a 7.0
    10. Attack of the Clones - 6.6
    11. The Phantom Menace - 6.5

Anyway, there you have it. Some interesting ratings, to be sure.

-Jason "Rise has 125k+ reviews... all the others are into the many hundreds of thousands... hard to see any of these numbers moving all that much" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Was planning on going New Years day, but broke down and bought a ticket for 4:00 today! Super excited, merry Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Was planning on going New Years day, but broke down and bought a ticket for 4:00 today! Super excited, merry Christmas!
    Just go and enjoy!

I'm going to die of old age before these endless (and mostly awful) trailers end.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm going to die of old age before these endless (and mostly awful) trailers end.
    If you happen to recall what trailers were attached to the film, I would be interested in hearing it. It will give us some idea of what Disney is going to be really pushing over the next several months.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That was dope. See you guys in the spoiler thread!

I dunno what all the fuss is. This was good and fun movie. Older couples in their 70s (us) enjoyed it. Even the really little girl in the elevator (might have been 6) nodded that she liked it. So there you have it. A film for all ages, except Jason's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    A film for all ages, except Jason's.
    It is not just me.

https://rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wa...ws?sort=rotten

I think The Rise of Skywalker is poorly directed, terribly filmed, clumsily edited, lamely scripted (a perennial problem, that one) and badly acted. - https://www.theaustralian.com.au/art...6c52ec5d526dd3

There seems to have been absolutely no road map as to what these movies were going to be and it shows. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3k5m1AGk4

J.J. Abrams' conclusion to the Skywalker Saga is always looking to the past so it fails to find a way forward. - https://collider.com/rise-of-skywalker-review/

In its anxiety not to offend, it comes off more like fanfiction than the creation of actual professional filmmakers. A bot would be able to pull off a more surprising movie. - https://time.com/5751746/star-wars-t...walker-review/

'The Rise of Skywalker' is a bad movie and a miserable finale that serves no purpose other than to reassure (at least some) adult fans of the original 'Star Wars' that they are still the "chosen ones" of the pop culture galaxy. - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#14b7b5bc113c

We waited 42 years for laughable plot twists and fan service on steroids? - https://www.hollywoodintoto.com/rise...walker-review/

Witless, soulless, and a colossally boring experience to boot. - https://pnabarro.wordpress.com/2019/...-of-skywalker/

JJ Abrams takes the reins of the beloved franchise back, only to deliver one of its most disappointing films ever. - https://www.hindustantimes.com/holly...3PxOCosXN.html

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    (Following quotes from the articles linked, not from Jason himself):

I think The Rise of Skywalker is poorly directed, terribly filmed, clumsily edited, lamely scripted (a perennial problem, that one) and badly acted.
    If any of these things are serious issues for you, you probably stopped following Star Wars a while ago.

There seems to have been absolutely no road map as to what these movies were going to be and it shows.
    This is true, but a problem with the whole trilogy and Disney's management of it, not with this specific movie, which I think did the best it could with the story given where things left off previously.

Witless, soulless, and a colossally boring experience to boot.
    I get why some people didn't get what they wanted out of Rise of Skywalker, but I'm not sure how you could call it boring.

I've also seen people mention that they felt there were no emotional moments...I felt like there were tons. It also fixed Kylo/Ben's character for me in a major, major way. I thought he was going to be great when he first appeared at the beginning of TFA, but basically hated him from the time he took off his mask with Rey through the end of Last Jedi (he had some nice moments mixed in, like with Han in Force Awakens, but it was mostly blah for me). Rise of Skywalker totally flipped that around, I thought Abrams did a great job with his arc and Driver did a great job playing it.

If you happen to recall what trailers were attached to the film, I would be interested in hearing it. It will give us some idea of what Disney is going to be really pushing over the next several months.
    Jason - I saw ROS last night (12/26) and the 5 trailers were

Bond movie
    Wonder Woman 1984
    Onward
    Free Guy
    Black Widow

Edit: Acymetric caused me to remember Mulan was also shown as a trailer.
    Last edited by tbyers11; 12-27-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Jason - I saw ROS last night (12/26) and the 5 trailers were

Bond movie
    Wonder Woman 1984
    Onward
    Free Guy
    Black Widow
    Oh right, I forgot about this. Unfortunately I also forgot which terrible movies I saw advertised. The ones I remember, which is mostly the good/decent ones (I've forgotten the bad ones), in no particular order:

Top Gun: Maverick
    Free Guy
    Black Widow
    James Bond: No Time to Die
    Mulan
    Bad Boys III

There were at least 6-10 other trailers, and most of them looked terrible, but I forget what they were. I didn't see Onward or Wonder Woman, but I also missed the first 5 minutes or so of trailers.

Science has weighed in on exactly what your expectations should be before seeing a "Star Wars" movie:

Researchers surveyed 441 people before and after they saw the last episode in the popular franchise, Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi, released in 2017. They wanted to see how audiences’ expectations affected their actual enjoyment of the movie.

The findings suggest that it is probably best not to go into Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker thinking you’re really going to love it or really going to hate it, said James Alex Bonus, co-author of the study and assistant professor of communication at The Ohio State University.

As you might expect, people who had the highest expectations for The Last Jedi but were disappointed in the movie had the lowest enjoyment of anyone taking the survey.

But what was most interesting, Bonus said, were people who expected very little from the movie but ended up feeling intensely happy after seeing the film. Their overall enjoyment was lower than those who felt similarly joyful but who went into the movie with higher expectations.

“It wasn’t really helping people to go in with those low expectations,” Bonus said.

“The negative bias going in dragged them down and even if they were pleasantly surprised by the movie, they still didn’t like it as much as other people did.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Science has weighed in on exactly what your expectations should be before seeing a "Star Wars" movie:

Researchers surveyed 441 people before and after they saw the last episode in the popular franchise, Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi, released in 2017. They wanted to see how audiences’ expectations affected their actual enjoyment of the movie.

The findings suggest that it is probably best not to go into Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker thinking you’re really going to love it or really going to hate it, said James Alex Bonus, co-author of the study and assistant professor of communication at The Ohio State University.

As you might expect, people who had the highest expectations for The Last Jedi but were disappointed in the movie had the lowest enjoyment of anyone taking the survey.

But what was most interesting, Bonus said, were people who expected very little from the movie but ended up feeling intensely happy after seeing the film. Their overall enjoyment was lower than those who felt similarly joyful but who went into the movie with higher expectations.

“It wasn’t really helping people to go in with those low expectations,” Bonus said.

“The negative bias going in dragged them down and even if they were pleasantly surprised by the movie, they still didn’t like it as much as other people did.”

If we really want to get scientific, we'd have to merge the "Ymm Beer" and "Ymm Wine" threads into this one, and perhaps any threads on legalizing marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If we really want to get scientific, we'd have to merge the "Ymm Beer" and "Ymm Wine" threads into this one, and perhaps any threads on legalizing marijuana.
    Those sippers of fine distilled products respond, "Harruummpphh!":

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...2-Ymmm-Bourbon
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Very interesting, Nick. My feeling is that people tend to be more swayed by the reaction of others in their enjoyment of really big movies, these days. In the pre-Rotten Tomatoes days, we (non-critics) only saw a few reviews, and discussed movies with people we interacted with in real life.

Now, most people are inundated with other people’s opinions, which tend to coalesce in a certain direction, despite the fact that tastes vary.

There has always been a split between the way that critics rate movies and the way general audiences do. Now there is a split between critics, general audience who live on social media and general audience who do not.

For point of reference, I do not know a single regular reddit user who enjoyed ROS. Some critics seemed to think it was okay, a whole bunch were just not into it.

I loved it, as did my brother and many of my friends. Amazingly, my brother had no idea what the critics thought — he had seen no reviews, no RT score, nothing, before seeing it on Tuesday.

At any rate, I was probably in the camp of someone who expected to enjoy it, but did not expect it to be the best movie ever made.

After a slower start it seems RoS is catching up with TLJ at the box office.

Although we have talked about it, here's an article about the dichotomy between critics and fans from Forbes.

From the article:
    But fans like it A) because they got those Last Jedi “fixes” they were looking for and B) it was specifically…made for fans. The film is rife with fan service, which is often viewed as a negative by critics, but you know who likes fan service? Fans.
    and

We do not know what comes next for Star Wars. It seems that Disney has learned a few lessons here, namely that one person should be in charge of an entire film series, and it shouldn’t be split by director.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    After a slower start it seems RoS is catching up with TLJ at the box office.

Although we have talked about it, here's an article about the dichotomy between critics and fans from Forbes.

From the article:

But fans like it A) because they got those Last Jedi “fixes” they were looking for and B) it was specifically…made for fans. The film is rife with fan service, which is often viewed as a negative by critics, but you know who likes fan service? Fans.

and

We do not know what comes next for Star Wars. It seems that Disney has learned a few lessons here, namely that one person should be in charge of an entire film series, and it shouldn’t be split by director.
    Well harumpff. That's what we've been saying. Now get off our opening scroll on a field of stars.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Really like that article, though at the end it includes this portion of a line when talking about Star Wars' future:

...now that we’re moving on from the Skywalkers, Solos, Vaders and Palpatines...
    First of all, Vader is a Skywalker, but aside from that pedantic note I will merely say that I cannot imagine the next Star Wars films won't include characters connected to the traditional heroes and villains of this story. It my not be obvious from the start, but someone will be revealed to be connected to someone else at some point.

That is if they don't just bring Rey, Finn, and Poe back for more films -- which is not at all impossible to imagine.

-Jason "in truth, the 9 movies all boil down to Skywalkers versus Palpatines..." Evans

Really like that article, though at the end it includes this portion of a line when talking about Star Wars' future:

First of all, Vader is a Skywalker, but aside from that pedantic note I will merely say that I cannot imagine the next Star Wars films won't include characters connected to the traditional heroes and villains of this story. It my not be obvious from the start, but someone will be revealed to be connected to someone else at some point.

That is if they don't just bring Rey, Finn, and Poe back for more films -- which is not at all impossible to imagine.

-Jason "in truth, the 9 movies all boil down to Skywalkers versus Palpatines..." Evans
    I cannot imagine that we are done with Rey.

To me, Finn and Poe are such forgettable characters that it would be hard to keep them going beyond a cameo. Others may feel differently.

Please, no more Chewbacca, R2D2 or C3PO. Played beyond well-worn.