Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Well, it's Rey who first says that her parents are nobody, not Kylo. The scene is set up to show her using some Jedi sense or just plain old repressed memory to come to the truth that her parents were no one. Yes, technically speaking, they could say "oh, Rey was just wrong". But that clearly wasn't the intention in the original scene.
    I interpreted that scene differently, so not sure about "clearly"...didn't believe it at the time and still don't.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Are you ok with finding out that Darth Vader really isn't Luke's father?
    No. Point of that question?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    What if Skywalker is now a title and not a name? The Jedi are gone - maybe Skywalker is the new name of those trained in the ways of the Light Side of the Force.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    What if Skywalker is now a title and not a name? The Jedi are gone - maybe Skywalker is the new name of those trained in the ways of the Light Side of the Force.
    I've seen that speculated elsewhere. It feels kind of clumsy to me.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    California
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not really the same thing though...Luke's parentage is pretty firmly established on screen. Rey's parentage is established by two lines from a character with motivation to lie, in direct conflict with other information (Rey's flashback) that we have.
    But we know the E8 director (Rian Johnson) was given the freedom to answer the question of Rey's parentage because there was no actual plan in place after E7 for how to answer it. J.J. Abrams had done what he often does and set up the question but didn't necessarily know where it was going to go, so Johnson made a choice and went with it (that Rey's parents are nobodies). Johnson was explicitly asked in a recent interview whether he would be okay with a retcon of Rey's parentage, and he basically said he would be fine with it and that he looks forward to seeing what J.J. Abrams can do to surprise and entertain him as a viewer.

    So the whole retcon discussion seems to be flowing from the fact that the E8 director publicly acknowledged it (instead of, say, answering that there was always a plan in place and that viewers will just have to see how it plays out).

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    But we know the E8 director (Rian Johnson) was given the freedom to answer the question of Rey's parentage because there was no actual plan in place after E7 for how to answer it. J.J. Abrams had done what he often does and set up the question but didn't necessarily know where it was going to go, so Johnson made a choice and went with it (that Rey's parents are nobodies). Johnson was explicitly asked in a recent interview whether he would be okay with a retcon of Rey's parentage, and he basically said he would be fine with it and that he looks forward to seeing what J.J. Abrams can do to surprise and entertain him as a viewer.

    So the whole retcon discussion seems to be flowing from the fact that the E8 director publicly acknowledged it (instead of, say, answering that there was always a plan in place and that viewers will just have to see how it plays out).
    The fact that a journalist asked a question using the word retcon in a hypothetical doesn't imply that any interesting parentage for Ray is a retcon in the normal usage of that word.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Manhattan
    Saw this comment thread on /r/movies and it sums up my thoughts nicely:

    It's impressive that they managed to make a trilogy where each movie contradicts the previous one.

    A great point.

    Episode VII: The Empire was never destroyed, the Republic is now nonexistent, and Han and Leia didn't end up together lol
    Episode VIII: Rey's parents are unimportant, Phasma's not dead (wait yes she is, maybe), the knights of Ren aren't really a thing, hell even Kylo's mask is pointless
    Episode IX: Kill the past? Nah how bout bring back Lando, Palpatine, the Death Star, also maybe Rey's parents are important, and let's put Skywalker in the title

    Maybe...maybe they should've written an outline before they started.

  8. #28
    Count me in the camp with those who are okay with the title part. I watch the movies to be entertained, it doesn't really matter to me what you call it.

    I'm probably being petty in another thread.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I agree. Lame title unless they are planning on doing a retcon for Ray's parentage or use a branch of the family tree past Shimi.

    What we know:
    Shimi Skywalker + unknown father = Anakin (only known child)

    Anaki + Padme = Luke and Leia

    Luke - No known children

    Leia - Ben Solo turned Sith Kylo Ren

    That's it. So unless we are counting Ben Solo a skywalker (and I don't) there are no known skywalkers left without going up to Luke unknown grandfather which after 8 movies would be incredibly lame.

    Awful horrible no good title.

    If Leia was a Skywalker, why wouldn’t Ben be one? Because he was given his dad’s last name when he was born? Leia’s last name was not Skywalker.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It does make sense to wrap it up this way. As the trailer says "The Saga Comes To An End"...and the saga is all about the Skywalker family. It's been nice having new characters, but the story is about the Skywalkers. Can't not have one (or more?) be a major focus as it all wraps up.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    No. Point of that question?
    It was a direct reply to your comment, "But establishing that a bad guy was lying? No, that's not a creating retroactive continuity."

    Why can't we assume Vader was lying to try and turn Luke to the dark side. It almost worked.

    How do we know Vader was right? It's not like there has been a DNA test or anything...are we going to trust Luke's feelings on this?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Wow, the negativity on this thread is amazing. It’s almost like a game thread.

    Title is fine with me. The trailers are just to hook you, not to give away the story.

    It will be fine.
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow, the negativity on this thread is amazing. It’s almost like a game thread.

    Title is fine with me. The trailers are just to hook you, not to give away the story.

    It will be fine.
    Agreed. I'm stoked and find that picking everything apart is exhausting and serves me no purpose whatsoever.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Wow, the negativity on this thread is amazing. It’s almost like a game thread.

    Title is fine with me. The trailers are just to hook you, not to give away the story.

    It will be fine.
    I think it has a good chance to be in the top 5 in the winter contest.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    It was a direct reply to your comment, "But establishing that a bad guy was lying? No, that's not a creating retroactive continuity."

    Why can't we assume Vader was lying to try and turn Luke to the dark side. It almost worked.

    How do we know Vader was right? It's not like there has been a DNA test or anything...are we going to trust Luke's feelings on this?
    Uh...there was an entire trilogy telling the story of Vader's rise and Luke's birth. Overturning that would be absolutely nothing at all like saying that Kylo was manipulating Ray into believing something untrue.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Uh...there was an entire trilogy telling the story of Vader's rise and Luke's birth. Overturning that would be absolutely nothing at all like saying that Kylo was manipulating Ray into believing something untrue.
    I'm sorry, i don't know the trilogy to which you refer.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I'm sorry, i don't know the trilogy to which you refer.
    Even without Episodes 1-3, there is a big difference between:

    a) Reversing the climactic scene in the concluding film of a trilogy (also one of the most well known scenes in all of movie history), in which the main character arcs are resolved

    and

    b) Revealing that an intentionally vague scene in the middle of the 2nd film in a trilogy included manipulation by a character that has already been established as capable of manipulating people's thoughts

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Abrams has also hinted that there's more to Rey's parentage that we have been led on to believe, the director teasing: "I don't want to say that what happens in Episode 8 [didn't happen]. We have honoured that.

    "But I will say that there's more to the story than you've seen."
    https://www.yahoo.com/style/star-war...102900443.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Rey is Yoda and Palpatine’s love child...

    It would not be entirely surprising given all the Count I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.u, Asaj Ventress, Darth Maul, Vader and Palpatine “there can be only two” side schemes that Rey is someone’s hidden project.

    Will Finn end up as a long lost son of Lando? There certainly was speculation about that for Force Awakens.

    It’s too late for “Rise of Skywalker”, my hope for Star Wars post Lucas was an expansion of the universe and its stories.

Similar Threads

  1. Star Wars Clone Wars TV show
    By CameronBornAndBred in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM
  2. DBR Podcast Episode 39: Star Wars and Sportscenter
    By Dev11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2015, 11:02 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2015, 04:36 PM
  4. Star Wars Episode 7
    By Wander in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
  5. Star Wars: Clone Wars - Early Review
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 07:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •