Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Star Wars: Episode 9 (The Rise of Skywalker)

Really? That is the title? Uhhhh... lame!

-Jason "the Emperor is back?!?! Whaaaaat?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is that Palpatine's laugh at the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Is that Palpatine's laugh at the end?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Really? That is the title? Uhhhh... lame!
    It's not the most inspiring title, but I'll take it. Feels like some kind of misdirection though.

-Jason "the Emperor is back?!?! Whaaaaat?" Evans
    Prequel twist: The Emperor did have the secret to immortality/bringing back the dead all along. It just didn't suit his purposes to share it with Anakin/Vader.

Oh, also my first reaction:

Billy Dee!!!!

Oh geez. Here we go again.

I agree. Lame title unless they are planning on doing a retcon for Ray's parentage or use a branch of the family tree past Shimi.

What we know:
    Shimi Skywalker + unknown father = Anakin (only known child)

Anaki + Padme = Luke and Leia

Luke - No known children

Leia - Ben Solo turned Sith Kylo Ren

That's it. So unless we are counting Ben Solo a skywalker (and I don't) there are no known skywalkers left without going up to Luke unknown grandfather which after 8 movies would be incredibly lame.

Awful horrible no good title.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I agree. Lame title unless they are planning on doing a retcon for Ray's parentage or use a branch of the family tree past Shimi.

What we know:

Luke - No known children

That's it. So unless we are counting Ben Solo a skywalker (and I don't) there are no known skywalkers left without going up to Luke unknown grandfather which after 8 movies would be incredibly lame.

Would not surprise me in the slightest. It might not even be a retcon...why are we assuming Kylo was telling the truth (or correct) about her parentage. It doesn't even really make sense that they would be Jakku junk traders that sold her for drinking money, because she has a (presumably real) memory of them flying away in a ship (whereas Kylo implies they are dead in a "pauper's grave" on Jakku).

I've been expecting the "her parents were nobodies" to turn out "mostly false" since I saw that scene in the theater. Of course, there is a theory (that I do not subscribe to, but is possible) that her parents are "nobody" (in this theory she is a clone) which would make it true "from a certain point of view".

Also, that's the wreckage of one of the Death Stars at the end right?

Maybe the writers were watching Westworld and the force was able to work some magic with the new LU-K3 droid that Rey has been secretly working on?

What we know:

Luke - No known children

Anakin's dad were the midi-chlorians.

Twins run in the genes, right? I'm guessing even more so when the genes are midichlorinated. So ….

Rey and Ben are twins, Rey was taken away at birth for her safety. Thus the awkward Ben/Rey scenes mirror the awkward Luke/Lea scenes of the original trilogy

I really hope the Rey heritage is not retconned... I didn't really have this opinion going into the Last Jedi, but after seeing it, I think Rey not having an important family was 100% perfect and exactly what Star Wars needed.

That said, I can see them pulling something like "her parents being no one was techincally correct... but her grandfather is Palpatine". It's suspicious she doesn't have a last name, even a placeholder one. Maybe she adopts the name Skywalker at the end, and it becomes sorta like "Darth" is for the Sith?

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Star Wars has always had religious overtones. In The Last Jedi Luke vanished. Could the Rise of Skywalker be referring to him?

I think people are being too liberal with the use of the word "retconned" here...heck arguably her parents being nobody was a retcon by that usage. You either handwave away what Kylo said (by making it a lie, which is easy enough and is perfectly in character for a dark side user trying to manipulate someone), or handwave away the scene of Rey's parents leaving Jakku in a ship (I don't know quite how you square that). There are problems either way, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I really hope the Rey heritage is not retconned... I didn't really have this opinion going into the Last Jedi, but after seeing it, I think Rey not having an important family was 100% perfect and exactly what Star Wars needed.

That said, I can see them pulling something like "her parents being no one was techincally correct... but her grandfather is Palpatine". It's suspicious she doesn't have a last name, even a placeholder one. Maybe she adopts the name Skywalker at the end, and it becomes sorta like "Darth" is for the Sith?
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think people are being too liberal with the use of the word "retconned" here...heck arguably her parents being nobody was a retcon by that usage. You either handwave away what Kylo said (by making it a lie, which is easy enough and is perfectly in character for a dark side user trying to manipulate someone), or handwave away the scene of Rey's parents leaving Jakku in a ship (I don't know quite how you square that). There are problems either way, I guess.
    Agree with Acymetric. Retcon is way overused. If they take canon and overturn it, then yes. But establishing that a bad guy was lying? No, that's not a creating retroactive continuity.

I am glad I am not the only one who thinks the title is...<ahem>...terrible.

Other than that I will remain hopelessly optimistic that it is a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Agree with Acymetric. Retcon is way overused. If they take canon and overturn it, then yes. But establishing that a bad guy was lying? No, that's not a creating retroactive continuity.
    Are you ok with finding out that Darth Vader really isn't Luke's father?

Ahh, my eyes. This takes it way too far.
    Don’t destroy my childhood with such blasphemy! 🙄😭🤣

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Ahh, my eyes. This takes it way too far.
    Don’t destroy my childhood with such blasphemy! 🙄😭🤣
    Not really the same thing though...Luke's parentage is pretty firmly established on screen. Rey's parentage is established by two lines from a character with motivation to lie, in direct conflict with other information (Rey's flashback) that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Rey's parentage is established by two lines from a character with motivation to lie
    Well, it's Rey who first says that her parents are nobody, not Kylo. The scene is set up to show her using some Jedi sense or just plain old repressed memory to come to the truth that her parents were no one. Yes, technically speaking, they could say "oh, Rey was just wrong". But that clearly wasn't the intention in the original scene.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it's a great title. The last trilogy titles have been just as question inducing as they've been meaningful after you see the movies. So, it's a big question that we'll get an answer to...but not until Christmas. Damn you, JJ!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."