Page 85 of 87 FirstFirst ... 35758384858687 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,700 of 1724
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Refs suck. Basketball is the worst officiated sport and no one can convince me otherwise.
    I would direct your attention to the Stanley Cup Playoffs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Whew - what a series. Feel bad for the Warriors organization (for the last couple of games - not overall, they've enjoyed sooooooo much success over the last few years). In 2 games, they lost a championship, Durant to an achilles injury that will keep him out until at least next April, if not the entire season (if they were even able to re-sign him, which seems unlikely), and Thompson to an ACL which probably keeps him out of action until at least the All-Star break in 2020.

It'll be interesting to watch how they approach the expiring contracts/opt-outs for Durant, Klay, and Cousins for the coming year. Every player currently of significance for the Warriors will be over thirty before the playoffs begin next year. It will be interesting to see how management chooses to proceed. I'd guess they will make Klay a priority to re-sign, and let Durant leave. But what do you do with Cousins? Or even guys like Livingston and Igoudala who seem likely to continue to slip a bit at their ages? They need to find younger wing rotation players like they have in the frontcourt with Bell and Looney to replace those guys. I think they could still win a title or two over the next 3ish years, but thats probably the end of their window.
    I feel more sorry for Durant (well, to be honest, I never feel sorry for millionaires and billionaires, they're going to be ok). He's one of the 3 best players in the world, going into free agency in his prime for his biggest contract, and he not only loses a year but you've got to wonder if he will be the same player and how GMs will evaluate him. Of course, that's the risk he took in his contract strategy.

Unfortunately, it was really a bad ending for Quinn. In a critical span he rimmed out a wide open three and shortly thereafter missed a defensive assignment, leaving VanVleet wide open at the top of the key for a three, which he nailed. Ouch.

I'd be a lot more sympathetic towards all this garment-rending about the Warriors' injuries had the Warriors not purposely injured Kawhi Leonard himself in the 2017 playoffs.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

If Durant has to go to another team, I would expect there shouldn’t be a problem finding a team to give him a max contract. My understanding, with the focus on tanking the last few years, is that finding a star or star players is the hardest part of building a winning team. (Except in the Knicks case where it is keeping the owner out of the way?). If that’s the case, wouldn’t many teams be willing to pay Durant, even if he is no longer one of the top 3 players in the league? Wouldn’t many teams be willing to pay maximum salary even if he is only a top 20 player with a chance of being better? I would think that is a better risk than alienating fans by fielding a poor team, hoping ping pong balls bounce your way and then hoping the 19 year old you pick turns into a top 15 player.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    If Durant has to go to another team, I would expect there shouldn’t be a problem finding a team to give him a max contract. My understanding, with the focus on tanking the last few years, is that finding a star or star players is the hardest part of building a winning team. (Except in the Knicks case where it is keeping the owner out of the way?). If that’s the case, wouldn’t many teams be willing to pay Durant, even if he is no longer one of the top 3 players in the league? Wouldn’t many teams be willing to pay maximum salary even if he is only a top 20 player with a chance of being better? I would think that is a better risk than alienating fans by fielding a poor team, hoping ping pong balls bounce your way and then hoping the 19 year old you pick turns into a top 15 player.
    So, I'm optimistic that Durant's playing style lends it self towards a good recovery from an Achilles tear. That said...a 32 year old coming off an Achilles tear might struggle to be a top 50 player, regardless of how good he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    For the 2018-19 NBA season, 32 players had max deals, so teams would definitely be willing to pay a top-20 player the max. There are definitely some not-top-20 (or top-32) players on that list:
    Stephen Curry, Golden State: $37,457,154
    Chris Paul, Houston: $35,654,150
    LeBron James, LA Lakers: $35,654,150
    Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City: $35,350,000
    Blake Griffin, Detroit: $31,873,932
    Gordon Hayward, Boston: $31,214,295
    Paul George, Oklahoma City: $30,560,700
    Mike Conley, Memphis: $30,521,115
    James Harden, Houston: $30,421,854
    Kevin Durant, Golden State: $30,000,000
    Al Horford, Boston: $28,928,710
    Chris Bosh, Miami: $26,837,720
    Otto Porter, Washington: $26,011,913
    Nikola Jokic, Denver: $25,467,250
    Andrew Wiggins, Minnesota: $25,467,520
    Anthony Davis, New Orleans: $25,434,263
    Bradley Beal, Washington: $25,434,262
    Andre Drummond, Detroit: $25,434,262
    Joel Embiid, Philadelphia: $25,250,000
    Hassan Whiteside, Miami: $24,434,262
    Kevin Love, Cleveland: $24,119,025
    Marc Gasol, Memphis: $24,119,025
    Chandler Parsons, Memphis: $24,107,258
    Harrison Barnes, Dallas: $24,107,258
    Kawhi Leonard, Toronto: $23,114,066
    LaMarcus Aldridge, San Antonio: $22,347,015
    Kyrie Irving, Boston: $20,099,189
    Jimmy Butler, Minnesota: $19,841,627
    Enes Kanter, New York: $18,622,514
    Wesley Matthews, Dallas: $18,622,513

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I mean, that's kind of expected isn't it? LeBron was already slowing down a tad his last season at Cleveland (still absolutely dominant, mind you). 16 years in the league is a long, long time. We're probably about due for the next generation of stars to take over.
    Oh, for sure. Age gets us all by the short hairs eventually. Still lamentable, this crop of players in or just entering into their 30s (that is, their golden years) gave us all some wonderful basketball. They’re also mostly the Coach K Team USA guys and many of them seem like genuinely good dudes. So, I’m going to lament a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, for sure. Age gets us all by the short hairs eventually. Still lamentable, this crop of players in or just entering into their 30s (that is, their golden years) gave us all some wonderful basketball. They’re also mostly the Coach K Team USA guys and many of them seem like genuinely good dudes. So, I’m going to lament a bit!
    Time marches on. Something similar is happening with QBs in football...the old guard is slowly phasing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Time marches on. Something similar is happening with QBs in football...the old guard is slowly phasing out.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R7bHCs_iu9w

Yeah, the only real injury comparison that I can think of is from the first year of the Cavs-Warriors when both Love and Irving went down. But Love had been injured much earlier in the play-offs...just exceptionally bad luck to have Durant and Klay (and Cousins and Looney). After they landed KD it was just an embarrassment of riches but they showed an amazing amount of grit this play-offs. Tough, tough competitors and wish them all a speedy recovery.

Coupled with Lebron's groin pull, part of me fears we're seeing some of the brightest ---previously very durable --- stars in the NBA begin to wear down.
    Don’t forget when GS was down 3-2 to Houston when Chris Paul got hurt. They’ve been the beneficiaries of major injuries too.

Leaving this here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Soooo...do the injuries to the Warriors* mean that the West is suddenly wide open next year? Westgate seems to think so. Updated 2020 NBA championship odds per the article.

LAL 9/2
    Mil, LAC 6/1
    Hou 8/1
    Tor 10/1
    Bos, Phi 12/1
    GS 14/1
    Den, OKC 16/1
    NY 20/1
    Bkn, Utah, Por 25/1
    Dal 40/1
    SA 50/1
    Ind, Orl, NO 60/1
    Atl, Mem 80/1
    Chi, Sac, Phx 100/1
    Det, Cha, Mia, Wsh, Cle, Min 200/1

* I'm assuming that even if KD and Klay stay put, they won't be able to play next season or will be severely limited.

Soooo...do the injuries to the Warriors* mean that the West is suddenly wide open next year? Westgate seems to think so. Updated 2020 NBA championship odds per the article.

LAL 9/2
    Mil, LAC 6/1
    Hou 8/1
    Tor 10/1
    Bos, Phi 12/1
    GS 14/1
    Den, OKC 16/1
    NY 20/1
    Bkn, Utah, Por 25/1
    Dal 40/1
    SA 50/1
    Ind, Orl, NO 60/1
    Atl, Mem 80/1
    Chi, Sac, Phx 100/1
    Det, Cha, Mia, Wsh, Cle, Min 200/1

* I'm assuming that even if KD and Klay stay put, they won't be able to play next season or will be severely limited.
    How do the Lakers have better odds than the Nuggets? The Lakers are a hot mess - notwithstanding the aging LeBron

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    How do the Lakers have better odds than the Nuggets? The Lakers are a hot mess - notwithstanding the aging LeBron
    Thought that was odd, too, but assumed they're baking in a high probability of off-season moves that land them some new talent to go along with their new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Well, it’s twofold. On the one hand the Lakers are almost certainly getting Anthony Davis and probably a top-flight PG (say, Kemba Walker, perhaps?). Second, the Golden State Warriors will no longer be a significant obstacle in their path considering they have lost Durant and Thompson to injury. Additionally, Toronto won’t be a threat because they are losing Kawhi Leonard and, likewise, Boston is losing Kyrie Irving (and not getting Anthony Davis).

So the field is wide open. It will be right there for the Lakers’ taking. And after watching Milwaukee implode in four straight losses to Toronto I think they have been exposed to a degree. As much as it kills me to admit it the Lakers will probably deserve to be considered the favorites. Hate it.😡

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, it’s twofold. On the one hand the Lakers are almost certainly getting Anthony Davis and probably a top-flight PG (say, Kemba Walker, perhaps?). Second, the Golden State Warriors will no longer be a significant obstacle in their path considering they have lost Durant and Thompson to injury. Additionally, Toronto won’t be a threat because they are losing Kawhi Leonard and, likewise, Boston is losing Kyrie Irving (and not getting Anthony Davis).

So the field is wide open. It will be right there for the Lakers’ taking. And after watching Milwaukee implode in four straight losses to Toronto I think they have been exposed to a degree. As much as it kills me to admit it the Lakers will probably deserve to be considered the favorites. Hate it.😡
    Is this like a minutes discussion that begins the day after the last game?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Is this like a minutes discussion that begins the day after the last game?
    It’s whatever you want it to be, Indoor.

Regarding the bolded ---- I think that's why the LAC are tied for second in the revised odds. There's an expectation built in that Kawhi goes to the Clippers.

I appreciate your attempt at humor.