Page 3 of 87 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Time to crank this one up. To me, this year's playoffs look like a bit of a script-flip vis-à-vis the last ~5 years: instead of the Warriors being the best overall team and having a tough West to fight through with Cleveland clearly topping a weak East, it’s now Golden State topping a weak(er) West (though I don’t think this GS is as good as their best vintages), and the East the deeper conference in my opinion, plus I don’t think it would be outlandish to call Milwaukee the best team in the league over the Warriors.
    Well I definitely don't agree with that. If we use 538 to rank the best 8 teams in conference (definitely the west seeds don't seem in order) and play against each other, it gives:

Warriors > Raptors
    Rockets < Bucks
    Nuggets > 76ers
    Thunder > Celtics
    Jazz > Pacers
    Blazers > Pistons
    Spurs > Nets
    Clippers < Magic

West wins 6-2. What would you argue with here? If anything I'd say Warriors > Bucks > Rockets > Raptors, making it 7-1. Just like last year, I think people are too high on the Raptors and so far they are proving that.

As a Warriors fan, I definitely see the Rockets and the Bucks as the biggest threats.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    ...Quin Snyder, Duke’s next head coach.
    Just becauae you keep typing this doesn't make it true...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Do I sense a pot pie bet?
    Now that is a great idea. I think that Grand Traverse website does have chicken pot pies. I gotta find a way to bet devildeac one of those!

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    Well I definitely don't agree with that. If we use 538 to rank the best 8 teams in conference (definitely the west seeds don't seem in order) and play against each other, it gives:

Warriors > Raptors
    Rockets < Bucks
    Nuggets > 76ers
    Thunder > Celtics
    Jazz > Pacers
    Blazers > Pistons
    Spurs > Nets
    Clippers < Magic

West wins 6-2. What would you argue with here? If anything I'd say Warriors > Bucks > Rockets > Raptors, making it 7-1. Just like last year, I think people are too high on the Raptors and so far they are proving that.

As a Warriors fan, I definitely see the Rockets and the Bucks as the biggest threats.
    The Thunder are not better than the Celtics and the Spurs are not better than the Nets.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    You’ll see. Just remember this when it happens.

Warriors > Raptors
    Rockets < Bucks
    Nuggets > 76ers
    Thunder > Celtics
    Jazz > Pacers
    Blazers > Pistons
    Spurs > Nets
    Clippers < Magic

I think it's more that poop happens in Game 1s sometimes. Toronto is GSW's biggest threat and can be terrifying defensively, imo.

Orlando was one of the hottest teams in the league down the stretch and very well could make this a long series, though.

Let's just be happy that he's off Brad Stevens.

Quin is known to prefer the NBA life much better than college. Plus, Gobert and Mitchell are so young.

Quin is more a K+2 candidate than K+1.

The Thunder are not better than the Celtics and the Spurs are not better than the Nets.
    Well I definitely don't agree with the latter part, but I personally think these playoffs are pretty exciting. A lot of the teams seem pretty close. I have no idea who's coming out of the east or who will be other team in the WCF. Even the Warriors could legitimately lose in R2 vs the Rockets.

The Warriors look good in Game 1, but Cousins was just awful -- worst player on the floor for the Warriors.
    Last edited by darthur; 04-13-2019 at 10:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    They never booed Mike Schmidt, did they?
    It appears they did:

"...I wouldn't call it a daily occurrence, because there were days you'd get a single the first time up, and you made all the plays, and you were leading in the ballgame, and you didn't strike out with the bases loaded and it was sort of a carefree game. On the opposite side of that, there were periods where everybody knew you were 0-for your last 20 at-bats, and you'd kind of been leaving the runner on second base pretty regularly and the Phillies weren't scoring, a guy like me in the middle of the batting order could be the brunt of negativism from the crowd."

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story...t/sportCat/mlb
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Now that is a great idea. I think that Grand Traverse website does have chicken pot pies. I gotta find a way to bet devildeac one of those!
    Yes, they do. Grand Traverse makes great pies.

I know you've sent and received a few pies in the last year or two but I'm still waiting on my consult fee..

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Let's just be happy that he's off Brad Stevens.
    Brad Stevens was always a hope, nothing more. I never said otherwise.

Quin is different.

Well I definitely don't agree with the latter part, but I personally think these playoffs are pretty exciting. A lot of the teams seem pretty close. I have no idea who's coming out of the east or who will be other team in the WCF. Even the Warriors could legitimately lose in R2 vs the Rockets.

The Warriors look good in Game 1, but Cousins was just awful -- worst player on the floor for the Warriors.
    You might be right about the Spurs. They looked comfortable and confident throughout. Likewise, the Nets played quite well in Philly. Nets v Spurs would be a tough series, but I think I’d go with the Spurs after seeing what they did in Denver tonight. I was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?

You might be right about the Spurs. They looked comfortable and confident throughout. Likewise, the Nets played quite well in Philly. Nets v Spurs would be a tough series, but I think I’d go with the Spurs after seeing what they did in Denver tonight. I was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?
    Anything can happen in one game. 😢😭. Too soon.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

None were all that surprising, imo. (Wish we had a Degenerates NBA Playoff contest :-)

Game 1 Spurs win was the classic experience vs inexperience game. Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series once they settle in.

Game 1 76ers loss was about Philly being out of sync from the uncertainty of Embiid's return from injury and being out of sync in general, not having had enough time to gel with their Big 4/5 yet. This should be a long series.

Game 1 Magic win was about Orlando playing very well heading into the playoffs and then shooting very well in Game 1. Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.

... was stunned by all three road team victories. What the heck is happening?
    ... Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series ... Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.
    From www.basketball-reference.com:

"Winners of Game 1 at home in the current 2-2-1-1-1 format go on to win their series 86.6% of the time. The Golden State Warriors were the lone home winner last night.

Winners of Game 1 on the road in the current format go on to win their series 52.2% of the time. San Antonio, Brooklyn and Orlando all won their Game 1's as the away team yesterday.

See more about historical 7-game playoff series results on Basketball-Reference.com."

https://www.basketball-reference.com...3eb8-448515649

None were all that surprising, imo. (Wish we had a Degenerates NBA Playoff contest :-)

Game 1 Spurs win was the classic experience vs inexperience game. Would still be very surprised if Denver lost the series once they settle in.

Game 1 76ers loss was about Philly being out of sync from the uncertainty of Embiid's return from injury and being out of sync in general, not having had enough time to gel with their Big 4/5 yet. This should be a long series.

Game 1 Magic win was about Orlando playing very well heading into the playoffs and then shooting very well in Game 1. Still would be shocked if Toronto lost the series.
    I get all of that and, yes, it’s only Game One, but I still thought it was fairly shocking to see three road-team victories on the first day of the playoffs. When was the last time that happened?

I only watched the Spurs Nuggets last night. I'm sure there are more advanced stats that might provide better insight, but this summed up the evening for me.

Home 3 PT FG % Away 3 PT FG %
    76ers 12.0% Nets 42.3%
    Raptors 33.3% Magic 48.3%
    Warriors 46.7% Clippers 36.7%
    Nuggets 21.8% Spurs 46.7%

Quinn had his chance at Mizzou and got mired in ethics scandals, which is why he ditched college and went to the NBA. I doubt he wants to go back to NCAA coaching and i doubt Duke wants him.

Are you suggesting something Quin did at Missouri forever disqualifies him from coaching again in college, and more specifically at Duke? If so, what are these terrible things Quin did?

Are you suggesting something Quin did at Missouri forever disqualifies him from coaching again in college, and more specifically at Duke? If so, what are these terrible things Quin did?
    Google is your friend. Ultimately, learning and knowledge is a process of self-discovery.

Google is your friend. Ultimately, learning and knowledge is a process of self-discovery.
    That's true, on the facts, but Google will not answer the questions directed at you, the opinion questions.