Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
    If you watched the wonderful and now long defunct NBC series "Chuck", you'd know that Stanford really DOES have agents everywhere.

Actually, I think Stanford is so loaded that they supposedly are the only school that has full funding for every possible athletic scholarship, so they better do well in all these sports just to get their investments' worth.
    yeah, they've fully endowed all their sports scholarships, have a top notch school and great weather, so they'll be tough to dislodge. Maybe they'll lose bass fishing to Clemson or someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    UNC is currently 120 points behind Duke in the Director's Cup standings. Assuming Auburn's current, ahem...10-run lead over UNC in Game 3 of their Super Regional holds up (they're now in the bottom of the 6th), UNC won't net any Director's Cup points against Duke for baseball. They'll get some points (not sure how many) for making the Regional round in softball. And I assume they'll pick up a handful of points in track & field. Not sure it'll be enough to catch Duke, though -- seems like a tall order to make up a 120-point deficit at this point.

So it's possible that UCLA, Florida, and Ohio State hurdle Duke, but Duke hangs on to the #10 spot ahead of UNC.
    It was also helpful that Michigan kept UCLA from getting CWS points.

UNC is currently 120 points behind Duke in the Director's Cup standings. Assuming Auburn's current, ahem...10-run lead over UNC in Game 3 of their Super Regional holds up (they're now in the bottom of the 6th), UNC won't net any Director's Cup points against Duke for baseball. They'll get some points (not sure how many) for making the Regional round in softball. And I assume they'll pick up a handful of points in track & field. Not sure it'll be enough to catch Duke, though -- seems like a tall order to make up a 120-point deficit at this point.

So it's possible that UCLA, Florida, and Ohio State hurdle Duke, but Duke hangs on to the #10 spot ahead of UNC.
    The track and field national champioships concluded this past weekend:
    On the women's side, UNC tied for 17th and Duke did not score (don't know how many points that means for UNC)
    On the men's side, neither UNC nor Duke scored.
    Shouldn't be much impact.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The track and field national champioships concluded this past weekend:
    On the women's side, UNC tied for 17th and Duke did not score (don't know how many points that means for UNC)
    On the men's side, neither UNC nor Duke scored.
    Shouldn't be much impact.
    Do you get any Directors Cup points just from having athletes qualify for the NCAA T&F Championships, even if they don't score? Duke did send some athletes to the championships (all women, I believe -- I don't think any of the Duke men qualified), though none of them earned points.

Either way, I agree -- I don't think T&F will affect the relative standings of Duke and UNC much one way or the other.

And Auburn downs UNC in baseball 14-7. So Duke and UNC should get the same number of Directors Cup points for baseball.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Duke slips down to 12th in the latest standings, which incorporate points for softball and track & field. Duke got zero points for those sports. Florida, UCLA, Florida State, Ohio State, and Kentucky all jumped ahead of Duke.

The latest standings don't incorporate baseball, for which Duke should earn some decent points. Duke will probably jump back over Kentucky and maybe Penn State, neither of which made the NCAA baseball tournament. We also might jump over Ohio State, which made the NCAA baseball tournament but was eliminated in the regional round.

I don't think any of the teams that made the CWS will jump over Duke. Florida State and Michigan are ahead of Duke and will stay there. The rest -- Arkansas, Texas Tech, Auburn, Mississippi State, Louisville, and Vanderbilt -- are probably too far behind to catch Duke.

The best news -- UNC won't catch Duke. UNC got a total of 106 points for softball and track & field, but needed 120 to catch Duke. UNC and Duke should get the same number of points for baseball, as both made it to (and lost in) the super regional round, so their positions relative to each other should be locked in.

Duke is probably looking at a 9th or 10th place finish, and we'll be third among ACC programs, after Virginia and Florida State.

Link to the current standings: https://s3.amazonaws.com/nacda.com/d...2OverallDi.pdf
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Do you get any Directors Cup points just from having athletes qualify for the NCAA T&F Championships, even if they don't score? Duke did send some athletes to the championships (all women, I believe -- I don't think any of the Duke men qualified), though none of them earned points.
    Apparently not, as Duke was awarded no points for having qualified women who did not score. Erin Marsh, the heptathlete, finished 9th--had she finished 8th I think Duke would have gotten the minimum 5 points.

Duke slips down to 12th in the latest standings, which incorporate points for softball and track & field. Duke got zero points for those sports. Florida, UCLA, Florida State, Ohio State, and Kentucky all jumped ahead of Duke.

The latest standings don't incorporate baseball, for which Duke should earn some decent points. Duke will probably jump back over Kentucky and maybe Penn State, neither of which made the NCAA baseball tournament. We also might jump over Ohio State, which made the NCAA baseball tournament but was eliminated in the regional round.

I don't think any of the teams that made the CWS will jump over Duke. Florida State and Michigan are ahead of Duke and will stay there. The rest -- Arkansas, Texas Tech, Auburn, Mississippi State, Louisville, and Vanderbilt -- are probably too far behind to catch Duke.

The best news -- UNC won't catch Duke. UNC got a total of 106 points for softball and track & field, but needed 120 to catch Duke. UNC and Duke should get the same number of points for baseball, as both made it to (and lost in) the super regional round, so their positions relative to each other should be locked in.

Duke is probably looking at a 9th or 10th place finish, and we'll be third among ACC programs, after Virginia and Florida State.

Link to the current standings: https://s3.amazonaws.com/nacda.com/d...2OverallDi.pdf
    I actually figured out all of the baseball points (apparently I have absolutely nothing to do), and Duke should finish 9th--still ahead of UNC, as you note. Having made the super regional, Duke will earn 64 points--easily enough to pass Kentucky, and enough to pass Penn State, which is now 26.5 points ahead. It's also enough to pass Ohio State, which is eleven and a half points ahead but will earn only 37.5 points for winning one game at its regional.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I actually figured out all of the baseball points (apparently I have absolutely nothing to do), and Duke should finish 9th--still ahead of UNC, as you note. Having made the super regional, Duke will earn 64 points--easily enough to pass Kentucky, and enough to pass Penn State, which is now 26.5 points ahead. It's also enough to pass Ohio State, which is eleven and a half points ahead but will earn only 37.5 points for winning one game at its regional.
    Looks like UNC will also pass Kentucky, Penn State, and Ohio State, and will finish 10th. If my math is correct, based on the numbers you provided, UNC will edge out Ohio State for the 10th spot by one point -- 987 to 986.

Looks like UNC will also pass Kentucky, Penn State, and Ohio State, and will finish 10th. If my math is correct, based on the numbers you provided, UNC will edge out Ohio State for the 10th spot by one point -- 987 to 986.
    Too bad, but I am okay with it (on some sort of general pro-ACC principle) as long as UNC stays behind Duke.