View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'll be darned: something called "CatVideoFest 2019" has grossed $400k in the U.S. this year:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...eofest2019.htm
    Including $165,481 for the March 8-10 weekend...

What a time to be alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Does it have legs?
    I've heard of doglegs, but catlegs?

With $94 after its second weekend, Aladdin coming out Friday, and SLOP 2 coming out June 7, can we safely say Pikachu won't make top 5?

John Wick 3 does a very impressive $56.8 mil in its opening weekend. It will need very long legs to be a player in our contest but that is a strong opening for a film like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    With $94 after its second weekend, Aladdin coming out Friday, and SLOP 2 coming out June 7, can we safely say Pikachu won't make top 5?
    Detective Pikachu didn't tank, but it didn't hold up very well either. It fell almost 54% from its opening weekend and I suspect it will only end up making about $175 mil or so in total. I think we can safely say the only way it will be a top 5 player is if there are a lot lot lot of very disappointing movies at the boxoffice this summer.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    John Wick 3 does a very impressive $56.8 mil in its opening weekend. It will need very long legs to be a player in our contest but that is a strong opening for a film like this.

I'd say your review pumped up the first weekend by at least $10 mil. But I won't give you credit for anything having long legs.

I wonder how Brightburn is going to do...the trailer definitely scares the poop out of me!

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I wonder how Brightburn is going to do...the trailer definitely scares the poop out of me!
    They are not screening it for critics... makes me very skeptical.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Reviews for Aladdin are mediocre so far (58% on RT at the moment).

Aladdin review

I have two reviews for you folks...

First, my podcast review if you want to spend a leisurely 12 minutes listening to a pair of critics having a mild disagreement about the film.

And second, for folks who like their critics as brief as possible, here is my 100 word review of the film: http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/05...s-aladdin.html

This is not an essential film, but not a bad one either, and it certainly left the audience cheering.

Lion King Lock

Whoa... early tracking surveys have come in on Lion King and the numbers are crazy. It is looking like the live action Lion King come get close to a $200 mil opening which likely makes this a $600+ mil film. When we subtract the opening week numbers from Endgame, Lion King seems likely to be the biggest grossing film of this entire summer. Impressive.

-Jason "obviously need to see how the tracking numbers hold up over time... and also see if the buzz/reviews matches the early excitement for this flick" Evans

P.S. - Side note: Jon Favreau is rapidly turning into one of the most powerful dudes in Hollywood

P.S. - Side note: Jon Favreau is rapidly turning into one of the most powerful dudes in Hollywood
    Would it be safe to say he’s money?

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Would it be safe to say he’s money?
    And he doesn't even know it.

Good thing he gave up that MMA career...

Nice job on the Favreau jokes

In other news, if you voted for Aladdin you are feeling pretty good right now. Despite somewhat mixed reviews (not from me, I really enjoyed it) Aladdin has some real boxoffice magic. It looks like it is headed to about an $85 mil 3-day opening weekend and $105+ mil over the 4-day holiday weekend. The exit polls by Cinemascore give it an A which means it will get some good word of mouth. Kid/family flicks often have long legs at the boxoffice so it is pretty likely this film earns more than $250 mil when all is said and done, perhaps even more than $300 mil. That should put it in very good shape to make our top 5.

My last pick came down to Aladdin and SLOP2. SLOP2 won the coin flip. We'll have to wait and see whether or not to keep that coin

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    My last pick came down to Aladdin and SLOP2. SLOP2 won the coin flip. We'll have to wait and see whether or not to keep that coin
    As an Aladdin over SLOP voter, I want your coin. Just to rub it a little...
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Nice job on the Favreau jokes

In other news, if you voted for Aladdin you are feeling pretty good right now. Despite somewhat mixed reviews (not from me, I really enjoyed it) Aladdin has some real boxoffice magic. It looks like it is headed to about an $85 mil 3-day opening weekend and $105+ mil over the 4-day holiday weekend. The exit polls by Cinemascore give it an A which means it will get some good word of mouth. Kid/family flicks often have long legs at the boxoffice so it is pretty likely this film earns more than $250 mil when all is said and done, perhaps even more than $300 mil. That should put it in very good shape to make our top 5.
    Now looking like the weekend was $88+ mil and the 4-day holiday number will be $110+ mil for Aladdin. Pretty hard to see this film earning less than $275 mil at this point. If Aladdin does not make the top 5, it will be the highest grossing film ever to not make our top 5 of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoBatman View Post
    I made the same coin flip... and it also came up SLOP2. I'm regretting that right about now.

Aladdin with $113 million over the holiday frame and with an A Cinemascore. Feeling very, very good about my top 5.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Aladdin with $113 million over the holiday frame and with an A Cinemascore. Feeling very, very good about my top 5.
    I like your top 5, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."