View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

    48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

    19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

    0 0%
  • Aladdin

    11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

    2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

    17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

    4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

    3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

    46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

    43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

    45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

    0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

    7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 256
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    As more reviews start to come in a couple interesting things are happening to Detective Pikachu.

    First, its Rotten Tomatoes score is dropping daily. It was at 76% a few days ago and is now down to 70%... not awful, but a sign that the newer reviews seem to be worse than the early ones. RT only has 80 reviews tracked so far and I would imagine that number gets to be close to 200 by the time we hit Friday morning. It will be worth tracking whether this trend continues.

    Hand in hand with the weaker reviews, the estimates of the opening weekend have also taken a tumble. HSX had Det. Pikachu in the mid-90s (95.32) a few days ago. It is now down to 78.79 and I am hearing some buzz that the opening weekend may be more like $60 or $65 million.

    In terms of the film having a chance in our contest, I suspect a film will have to make at least $75 mil in its opening weekend to really be a player, unless it is a film that displays really unusually long legs. Pikachu's reviews would seem to indicate that long legs are not something one would expect from this film.

    -Jason "we shall see... the contest really gets going this weekend" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Pikachu's reviews would seem to indicate that long legs are not something one would expect from this film.
    All of the top movies in our contests do well because people keep going back, and in this case the target audience for the most part is kids. With school still going, and the lukewarm reviews, this doesn't strike me as a "Mom, let's go again" movie to which mom actually gives in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    I was skeptical, but I gotta tell you... some of the Aladdin clips coming out lately look pretty good.

    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!

    Det. Pikachu review

    You can probably tell based on a few previous comments, but I thought Detective Pikachu was three shades of awful. It had a few amusing moments, but was largely nonsensical.

    In any event, you can read my short review here... it is a 100 word review, which is a lot harder than you might think, so it won't take more than a minute or so to read. Thanks!

    -Jason "pika pika" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You can probably tell based on a few previous comments, but I thought Detective Pikachu was three shades of awful. It had a few amusing moments, but was largely nonsensical.

    In any event, you can read my short review here... it is a 100 word review, which is a lot harder than you might think, so it won't take more than a minute or so to read. Thanks!

    -Jason "pika pika" Evans
    Jason - I LOVE the 100 word premise! Talk about going old-school! THAT is real journalism! It is almost as if you had a defined amount of inches in a column to fill.

    The result is worth it! Concise, pithy, unequivocal.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Jason - I LOVE the 100 word premise! Talk about going old-school! THAT is real journalism! It is almost as if you had a defined amount of inches in a column to fill.

    The result is worth it! Concise, pithy, unequivocal.
    Thanks man, I'll be putting one up about The Hustle a little later today.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As more reviews start to come in a couple interesting things are happening to Detective Pikachu.

    First, its Rotten Tomatoes score is dropping daily. It was at 76% a few days ago and is now down to 70%... not awful, but a sign that the newer reviews seem to be worse than the early ones. RT only has 80 reviews tracked so far and I would imagine that number gets to be close to 200 by the time we hit Friday morning. It will be worth tracking whether this trend continues.

    Hand in hand with the weaker reviews, the estimates of the opening weekend have also taken a tumble. HSX had Det. Pikachu in the mid-90s (95.32) a few days ago. It is now down to 78.79 and I am hearing some buzz that the opening weekend may be more like $60 or $65 million.
    Update-- Pokemon-DP is now down to 66% on Rotten Tomatoes. All the recent reviews are running about 50% good and 50% bad.

    The HSX opening weekend estimate is now down to $73.34 million. As I said, all the trends appear to be down from earlier robust estimates.

    -Jason "again, I think it needs a $75 mill opening weekend to be a real player in our contest" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    As promised, my 100 word review of The Hustle. I wish I had another 100 words to continue to tell you how godawful this film is. Please, do yourself a favor and watch the 1980s classic Dirty Rotten Scoundrels instead!
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As promised, my 100 word review of The Hustle. I wish I had another 100 words to continue to tell you how godawful this film is. Please, do yourself a favor and watch the 1980s classic Dirty Rotten Scoundrels instead!
    I haven't seen the movie, but I saw it on Broadway and it was fantastic! Much better than The Producers, which I also saw while I was there. I thought I would love it but...just not good.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whoa... $426.9 million.

    That is what Avengers: Endgame is at as of Tuesday 4/30. So, that is the amount that will be deducted from the film's final boxoffice total to see whether or not it makes our top 5 of summer. Put another way, if it matches the $678.8 mil that Infinity War made, it will actually count as $251 mil for our contest.

    -Jason "that said, I'll be mildly shocked if it does not end up making north of $750 million" Evans
    Update that I should have done days ago...

    The actual April 30 figure for Endgame was $427.1 million. So, as of the latest May 8th boxoffice, it has made over $225 mil of summer contest dollars thus far. Most estimates are that it will do another $50 mil or so this weekend. I fully expect this film to catch Avatar as the #2 film of all time at the domestic boxoffice... but I think it won't quite get to the $936 mil that Force Awakens did.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deeetroit City
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Update that I should have done days ago...

    The actual April 30 figure for Endgame was $427.1 million. So, as of the latest May 8th boxoffice, it has made over $225 mil of summer contest dollars thus far. Most estimates are that it will do another $50 mil or so this weekend. I fully expect this film to catch Avatar as the #2 film of all time at the domestic boxoffice... but I think it won't quite get to the $936 mil that Force Awakens did.
    Think something shy of $500 mil will get it safely into the top 5?

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Detective Pikachu is down to 64% on rotten tomatoes but...it has an audience score of 84% on 1200 reviews. This MAY have some legs here...

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Detective Pikachu is down to 64% on rotten tomatoes but...it has an audience score of 84% on 1200 reviews. This MAY have some legs here...
    It is gonna need it. Early estimate is a $58.2 mil opening. If it gets a really great 4x multiplier from opening it is looking at $233 mil, which would make it a contender in our contest, but not a sure thing.

    --Jason "obviously, we need to see how it holds up in weekend #2 to have a real sense of it's chances... it better be close to $30 mil to get into our top 5" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Texas
    Detective Pikachu fell short of the lowered expectations with $54.3 million for the weekend.
    Avengers took in another $63.3 million.

    So as of 5/12:
    Avengers: Endgame $296.6 ($723.7)
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu $54.3
    The Intruder (2019) $21.6
    Long Shot $19.9
    Uglydolls $14.5

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    I'm beginning to see advertisements on TV for the Yesterday movie. Is this early or does it indicate that the powers that be are planning to push this one? I have hopes, not expectations just hopes.

    It is on my watch list.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm beginning to see advertisements on TV for the Yesterday movie. Is this early or does it indicate that the powers that be are planning to push this one? I have hopes, not expectations just hopes.

    It is on my watch list.
    If only I liked the Beatles. Even though I'll likely miss half the references and I really do think "Hey Dude" sounds better, it looks like a great movie. Definitely want to see it.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm curious about "Rocketman". It has been getting lots of promotion, and there is a built in fan base. I haven't heard anything about it though, unlike the buzz that preceded "Bohemian Rhapsody". My girlfriend wants to see it, and she isn't much of a movie goer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    So, John Wick Chapter 3 is probably the best pure action movie of the summer. WOW!!

    Here is my 100 word review:
    http://flixchat.blogspot.com/2019/05...-wick.html?m=1

    Guns and knives, sure… but Wick uses books, dogs, and even horses as lethal weapons in ways that leave the audience cheering for more.
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  19. #99
    I'll be darned: something called "CatVideoFest 2019" has grossed $400k in the U.S. this year:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...eofest2019.htm

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'll be darned: something called "CatVideoFest 2019" has grossed $400k in the U.S. this year:
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...eofest2019.htm
    Does it have legs?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Similar Threads

  1. Top movies of summer 2019 (early discussion)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 04-10-2019, 05:52 PM
  2. Top 5 Movies of Summer
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 186
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  3. Top Movies of Summer (poll)
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 225
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 07:27 AM
  4. Top movies of Summer - a preview
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM
  5. Top Movies of the Summer
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •