View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Whoa... $426.9 million.

That is what Avengers: Endgame is at as of Tuesday 4/30. So, that is the amount that will be deducted from the film's final boxoffice total to see whether or not it makes our top 5 of summer. Put another way, if it matches the $678.8 mil that Infinity War made, it will actually count as $251 mil for our contest.

-Jason "that said, I'll be mildly shocked if it does not end up making north of $750 million" Evans
    If you were ever worried about the first weekend being lopped off the total (you weren't) then the second weekend should make you breathe a sigh of relief. It is still early but it looks like Endgame is going to do a touch under $150 mil in its second weekend. It will be around $195 mil in "Summer" earnings after this weekend and looks like a lock to earn at least $350 mil of contest dollars.

Nothing else moved the needle this weekend with Longshot, The Intruder, and Uglydolls earning between $9 and 11 million. Yawn.

-Jason "Det. Pikachu comes next weekend... and we will finally start to sort things out a little tiny bit" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

...wow that's a huge drop off from the first weekend. There has neg been such big drop.Historic.scavengers must be bombing.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Notched. Avengers....

Along with the other 47 of you that voted, I'm confident this one is in the bank.
    To the odd voter out...tip o' the hat to you. May you go 4/5. (Unless you voted against my other picks, too. Then, screw that...good luck, hope you go 2/5 or something.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    ...wow that's a huge drop off from the first weekend. There has neg been such big drop.Historic.scavengers must be bombing.
    Don't drink and post!

Meant that Avengers has had a historic drop off from week 1 to 2. Never before has a movie had a $200+ million drop. $212 million to be exact! Wow!

Granted, I know weekend #2 as an opening weekend would be top 25 all-time...but still no other movie has lost $200 million in one week!

Don't drink and post!

Meant that Avengers has had a historic drop off from week 1 to 2. Never before has a movie had a $200+ million drop. $212 million to be exact! Wow!

Granted, I know weekend #2 as an opening weekend would be top 25 all-time...but still no other movie has lost $200 million in one week!
    Yeah and it beat the old opening weekend record by 99 million bucks. Nowhere to go but way down when the opening weekend is 357 friggin' million bucks. And that's just domestic. Beyond incredible for a movie franchise that still has another movie out currently (might not catch TFA for domestic total but TFA had over a decade with no franchise movies released and it was Christmas).

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Yeah and it beat the old opening weekend record by 99 million bucks. Nowhere to go but way down when the opening weekend is 357 friggin' million bucks. And that's just domestic. Beyond incredible for a movie franchise that still has another movie out currently (might not catch TFA for domestic total but TFA had over a decade with no franchise movies released and it was Christmas).
    Keep in mind as well, that the next movie in the main Star Wars Saga, The Last Jedi, saw it's take drop by a third from TFA. Right now the Avengers movies are each getting bigger and bigger. With Star Wars, the first movie in each trilogy was the highest grossing.

Personally, I'm hoping Endgame passes The Force Awakens. Marvel is doing what Star Wars should have been able to do. Mine an incredibly rich and deep universe for content, modify it to fit the big screen and every few years stitch together a big movie the sets the overall direction of things.

If there is one thing the DC, Star Wars and others have shown, creating a universe is not an easy thing to do.

Keep in mind as well, that the next movie in the main Star Wars Saga, The Last Jedi, saw it's take drop by a third from TFA. Right now the Avengers movies are each getting bigger and bigger. With Star Wars, the first movie in each trilogy was the highest grossing.

Personally, I'm hoping Endgame passes The Force Awakens. Marvel is doing what Star Wars should have been able to do. Mine an incredibly rich and deep universe for content, modify it to fit the big screen and every few years stitch together a big movie the sets the overall direction of things.

If there is one thing the DC, Star Wars and others have shown, creating a universe is not an easy thing to do.
    Well, to be fair, there's massively more content in the "Marvel Universe" than the Star Wars EU. They've been around almost twice as long, and have hundreds of established characters with their own history and backstory.

Yes, they are doing it better than Star Wars, but I don't think that's a knock on Star Wars. They are doing it better than anyone, ever. By a friggin mile.

I went to a screening last night... a little later I will have my thoughts but let's just say this is me right now:

-Jason "38% of you are toast. If only I was allowed to bet a pie... " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I went to a screening last night... a little later I will have my thoughts but let's just say this is me right now:

Hmmmm. 38.78% chose Detective Pikachu. Coincidence?

Ryan Reynolds is no stranger to bad movies. Question is, is it …

Waiting bad, or

The Change-Up bad, or … shudder …

R.I.P.D. bad, or … shiver, cringe …

Green Lantern bad?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Hmmmm. 38.78% chose Detective Pikachu. Coincidence?
    Acymetric, crimsondevil, DU82, fidel, Gooch, IrishDevil, jjredickrules, killerleft, LasVegas, luburch, NashvilleDevil, Nick, PensDevil, Reddevil, tbyers11, tdrake51, trey, Wander, wilson

Only if we assume someone hits all 5. Seems like a 40-something way tie at 4 correct isn't out of the question.

Besides which I don't think you are the movie's target demographic.

Pikachu sitting at 74% on rotten tomatoes with around 50 reviews. About where I assumed it will be. I HAD to take a gamble on at least one. I didn’t want to pick the top 5 everyone was going to pick.

Unrelated to our contest...but box office news.

Captain Marvel passed Iron Man 3 to be the #2 solo movie behind Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Pikachu sitting at 74% on rotten tomatoes with around 50 reviews. About where I assumed it will be.
    The RT number is mystifying to me. Metacritic has it at a more reasonable 49, which is not awful but certainly not good either. I spoke to a dozen critic friends after it was over, including several who are big Japanese gaming/anime fans and who really like the Pokemon franchise... the best any of us could say was that it was "ok, if you are an 8-year old who wants to look at real-life Pokemon."

The story is utter nonsense and it veers wildly from serious to silly in tone. I chuckled maybe 3 or 4 times total. I was very bored at times.

-Jason "worth noting, Rotten Tomatoes so-called 'top critics' have it at just 33%... I think that unless you are a huge die-hard Pokemon fan, you may hate this hot mess" Evans

What’s a Pikachu?

Unrelated to our contest...but box office news.

Captain Marvel passed Iron Man 3 to be the #2 solo movie behind Black Panther.
    I thought it might be the #1 solo movie, beating out "Solo."

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What’s a Pikachu?
    Whatsamatta U? Watch me pull a mouse out of my hat! Looks like a rabbit to me.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

The RT number is mystifying to me. Metacritic has it at a more reasonable 49, which is not awful but certainly not good either. I spoke to a dozen critic friends after it was over, including several who are big Japanese gaming/anime fans and who really like the Pokemon franchise... the best any of us could say was that it was "ok, if you are an 8-year old who wants to look at real-life Pokemon."

The story is utter nonsense and it veers wildly from serious to silly in tone. I chuckled maybe 3 or 4 times total. I was very bored at times.

-Jason "worth noting, Rotten Tomatoes so-called 'top critics' have it at just 33%... I think that unless you are a huge die-hard Pokemon fan, you may hate this hot mess" Evans
    Yeah, that number might drop significantly if more reviews come in. I know my daughter wants to see it and I’ll probably go just because of Ryan Reynolds. My bet was really based on that. Pikachu bringing in kids and Reynolds bringing in extra adults with those kids. Family fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm just curious (this is my first time participating), does anyone ever choose "field"? Is this the first time nobody has?
    Interesting question...could 'Field' be defined as the sum of any movie not listed above?

It would be interesting to define it as a real player in the list, rather than a hopeful catching of a unicorn.

I don't know where to get the data to do the math, but perhaps a defined list of 'Field' would be required. I have no idea what the sum would have been in the past, just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Interesting question...could 'Field' be defined as the sum of any movie not listed above?

It would be interesting to define it as a real player in the list, rather than a hopeful catching of a unicorn.

I don't know where to get the data to do the math, but perhaps a defined list of 'Field' would be required. I have no idea what the sum would have been in the past, just a thought.
    No, field is not the combined boxoffice of all other movies released over the summer. It is merely an option for someone who believes in some other film that I did not list to vote for that movie. There are always some interesting films that do not make the list. There have been "field" picks who ended up in the top 5 such as (IIRC) Maleficent, Wedding Crashers, and The Hangover.

That said, it feels like the summer has becomes such a huge tentpole season, largely dominated by established franchises, that there simply is no room for a field pick to have much of a chance. The winter, which is typically a bit more wide open, is a better time to make that pick.

Perhaps next year I will try to only include maybe 9 or 10 films in the overall list, putting more films into the field.

-Jason "worth noting that, at this very early moment, next summer looks considerably more wide open than recent summers" Evans