View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    At this point, I would put at least a 75% chance that the top 5 are Avengers, Toy Story 4, Spidey, Lion King, and Aladdin.
    Too indolent to check how many picked that combo.

Any news or updates on MIB and Dead Don’t Die? They open this weekend. No early reviews for MIB is typically a bad sign. 50/50 reviews on Dead Don’t Die, but it has a very old looking Bill Murray deadpanning lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Starting to see some really dismal reviews of Dark Phoenix. Amazing how a once great franchise has been laid low.
    X-Men was never really that great a movie franchise though. They had a few decent movies, a couple really good ones, and several stinkers (before this one).

On another note...I saw a commercial for Hobbs and Shaw...that movie looks super dumb to me and I was expecting it might be something I would enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    X-Men was never really that great a movie franchise though. They had a few decent movies, a couple really good ones, and several stinkers (before this one).

On another note...I saw a commercial for Hobbs and Shaw...that movie looks super dumb to me and I was expecting it might be something I would enjoy.
    Wow. We have different taste. I have zero interest in ever seeing anything from F&F and would have no expectations. I really enjoyed Xmen's first two movies, Logan, and the first two McAvoy flicks.
    Apocalypse was horrid. X3 was almost as bad.

Wow. We have different taste. I have zero interest in ever seeing anything from F&F and would have no expectations. I really enjoyed Xmen's first two movies, Logan, and the first two McAvoy flicks.
    Apocalypse was horrid. X3 was almost as bad.
    I haven't watched a F&F movie since the second one (and I didn't see any of them in theaters), but I was expecting Hobbs & Shaw to be a different kind of thing (I was wrong, it looks more over the top F&F than F&F did).

As to your point, yes X-Men has been a great series if you only list their good movies, but lets take a look at the full picture (which is almost 50% bad movies, without counting Dark Phoenix)

Great movies:
    Logan (2017)
    Days of Future Past (2014)

Decent to Good movies:
    X-Men (2000)
    X2 (2003)
    X-Men: First Class (2011)

Bad/disappointing Movies:
    X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) **Really bad**
    The Wolverine (2013) (Kinda halfway decent)
    X-Men Apocalypse (2016)

Release cadence looks like: Decent, Good, Bad, Terrible, Good, Kinda Bad, Great, Bad, Great

I'm not saying I don't enjoy X-Men movies...just saying that bad or disappointing movies is pretty par for the course for this franchise (and based on the pattern, they were due for a bad movie).

Oh, did I mention that Origins: Wolverine was really bad? That 37% on Rotten Tomatoes is too high. I almost think it should count on the list twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    ...I saw a commercial for Hobbs and Shaw...that movie looks super dumb to me and I was expecting it might be something I would enjoy.
    Super dumb is usually what I enjoy ...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Super dumb is usually what I enjoy ...
    It made Michael Bay millions
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

Hundreds of millions

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/directors/michael-bay-net-worth/

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Gonna need more syrup
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    I call shenanigans - this shot includes neither sunrise nor sunset, so it couldn't possibly be Michael Bay's work.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Any news or updates on MIB and Dead Don’t Die? They open this weekend. No early reviews for MIB is typically a bad sign. 50/50 reviews on Dead Don’t Die, but it has a very old looking Bill Murray deadpanning lines.
    The reviews are in, and unfortunately MIB sucks. I didn't vote for it, but I enjoy the series and was hoping this one would be good. Even the "fresh" reviews are not all that inspiring. (Also bummed out about DDD, that one looked like it was going to be fun.)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/men...international/

The reviews are in, and unfortunately MIB sucks. ...)

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/men...international/
    Not as bad as Dark Phoenix.

We could be using that phrase for years to come.

The reviews are in, and unfortunately MIB sucks.
    As I read on twitter today, "Movie sequel that no one wanted or was excited about surprisingly tanks at the boxoffice."

MIB:Intl made a paltry $28.5 million opening weekend. It may not even make it to $100 million total. Needless to say, it has no chance of being even a blip on the radar in our contest.

Secret Life of Pets 2 fell nearly 50%, not awful but it needed to do much much better than that to have the legs to challenge Aladdin. It made $23.8 mil and hasn't even cracked the $100 mil mark yet ($92 mil). It is also likely toast in our contest. Aladdin, meanwhile, only fell 32% in weekend #4 and made $16.7 mil. It stands at $263 million and maybe has a chance of actually making it to $300 mil in total (I think it probably ends up about $10-15 mil short of that mark). Anyway, it is looking more and more like a lock. As stated earlier, if it is not in our top 5, Aladdin will be far and away the most successful film to ever fail to reach the top 5.

-Jason "Toy Story 4 coming next weekend... it will be a huge opening, north of $175 mil, I would bet" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Tangent inspired by Dark Phoenix...If I were to start watching the X-Men movies now, never having seen any of them, which ones should I watch and which should I skip? I supposed I'd watch a bad one if important for story continuity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Tangent inspired by Dark Phoenix...If I were to start watching the X-Men movies now, never having seen any of them, which ones should I watch and which should I skip? I supposed I'd watch a bad one if important for story continuity.
    There's no meaningful story continuity. Characters and tone change wildly between movies with no explanation, and there's no consistency even if you're generous and allow them to have two timelines. So just watch the good ones (X-Men, X2, First Class, Logan supposedly though I've never seen it) and enjoy them as individual movies.

Sometimes I'm really impressed by the MCU. And sometimes I think what they did is actually not difficult at all, and that other series just set the bar so low for comic book franchises (referring to the idea of having one consistent universe - plenty of non-MCU individual movies are good).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    There's no meaningful story continuity. Characters and tone change wildly between movies with no explanation, and there's no consistency even if you're generous and allow them to have two timelines. So just watch the good ones (X-Men, X2, First Class, Logan supposedly though I've never seen it) and enjoy them as individual movies.

Sometimes I'm really impressed by the MCU. And sometimes I think what they did is actually not difficult at all, and that other series just set the bar so low for comic book franchises (referring to the idea of having one consistent universe - plenty of non-MCU individual movies are good).
    Agreed with the recommendations. As someone who really liked the XMen movies, if you were determined to add one more, make it Days of Future Past. But don't get crazy ideas in your head that any others are worth watching. Because they really aren't.

Agreed with the recommendations. As someone who really liked the XMen movies, if you were determined to add one more, make it Days of Future Past. But don't get crazy ideas in your head that any others are worth watching. Because they really aren't.
    What about Deadpools?

Tangent inspired by Dark Phoenix...If I were to start watching the X-Men movies now, never having seen any of them, which ones should I watch and which should I skip?
    That tangent should have it's own thread...

gran_torino_-_h_-_2008.jpg

What about Deadpools?
    Didn't do it for me, and I usually enjoy crass humor. A bit too on the nose for my taste I guess.