View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Top Movies of Summer 2019

Ok, time to start the contest.

Last year we did something funky and only had a top 3. This summer we go back to a top 5, but there is a wrinkle.

As I stated a few weeks ago, you will never convince me that summer starts in April. So, this contest will be for boxoffice receipts from May 1 - Sept 2nd (Labor Day). No boxoffice earned before May 1 or after Sept 2nd will be counted. This is different from how we have done it in the past... but we (I) seem to change the rules almost every year so I am sure all of you can deal with it. The biggest practical impact of this will be upon Avengers: Endgame.

To be 100% clear... Endgame opens on April 25th and none of the money it earns in its first 6 days of release will count in its final total for our contest. I am confident that will mean $250+ million of boxoffice being lopped off like Ned Stark's head. If Endgame makes $250 in those first 6 days and (only) makes $500 mil overall, your total for picking it would be just $250 mil. So, think carefully before you select that film.

As always please pick 5 films. If you only vote for 4 or if you pick 6, you are a fool and we do not suffer fools gladly. Also, in case you are new to this, we are basing this on domestic boxoffice receipts only, not how the film does on Rotten Tomatoes or whether it sells a ton of tickets in Bangladesh.

Here are the contenders:
    Avengers: Endgame (April 25/May 1)
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (May 10)
    John Wick: Chapter 3 (May 17)
    Aladdin (May 24)
    Godzilla: King of Monsters (May31)
    The Secret Life of Pets 2 (June 7)
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June 7)
    Men in Black: International (June 14)
    Toy Story 4 (June 21)
    Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5)
    The Lion King (July 19)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (August 2)
    Field (any film not mentioned above)

Of note, if you pick the field, you do not need to name the film you are picking. I am sure we would all like to hear why you think Brightburn is going to set records or why you think Rocketman is the next Bohemian Rhapsody, but you will get credit if you pick field because of one of those but then Shaft ends up being this summer's Hangover and making $350 million.

Ok, any questions? Did I leave anything out? Have at it!

-Jason "voting will close on April 25th... prior to the opening of Endgame" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ok, time to start the contest.

Last year we did something funky and only had a top 3. This summer we go back to a top 5, but there is a wrinkle.

As I stated a few weeks ago, you will never convince me that summer starts in April. So, this contest will be for boxoffice receipts from May 1 - Sept 2nd (Labor Day). No boxoffice earned before May 1 or after Sept 2nd will be counted. This is different from how we have done it in the past... but we (I) seem to change the rules almost every year so I am sure all of you can deal with it. The biggest practical impact of this will be upon Avengers: Endgame.

To be 100% clear... Endgame opens on April 25th and none of the money it earns in its first 6 days of release will count in its final total for our contest. I am confident that will mean $250+ million of boxoffice being lopped off like Ned Stark's head. If Endgame makes $250 in those first 6 days and (only) makes $500 mil overall, your total for picking it would be just $250 mil. So, think carefully before you select that film.

As always please pick 5 films. If you only vote for 4 or if you pick 6, you are a fool and we do not suffer fools gladly. Also, in case you are new to this, we are basing this on domestic boxoffice receipts only, not how the film does on Rotten Tomatoes or whether it sells a ton of tickets in Bangladesh.

Here are the contenders:
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu (May 10)
    John Wick: Chapter 3 (May 17)
    Aladdin (May 24)
    Godzilla: King of Monsters (May31)
    X-Men: Dark Phoenix (June 7)
    Men in Black: International (June 14)
    Toy Story 4 (June 21)
    The Lion King (July 19)
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (July 26)
    Field (any film not mentioned above)

Of note, if you pick the field, you do not need to name the film you are picking. I am sure we would all like to hear why you think Brightburn is going to set records or why you think Rocketman is the next Bohemian Rhapsody, but you will get credit if you pick field because of one of those but then Shaft ends up being this summer's Hangover and making $350 million.

Ok, any questions? Did I leave anything out? Have at it!

-Jason "voting will close on April 25th... prior to the opening of Endgame" Evans
    Avengers - take off $250 mil and it will still beat #2 by $250 mil
    Spiderman - Avengers will propel it even higher than it would have been
    Toy Story - probably #2
    SLOP - kids will carry it
    Lion King - Not sure, but I got a feeling. Could be top 2 or 3.

I know these will be popular picks. Do I get credit for being 1st?

Lock

Lock

Aladdin (May 24)
    Lock

Toy Story 4 (June 21)
    Lock

Lock

The Lion King (July 19)
    Lock

Lock

...and that's not including wild cards of Pokemon, X-Men or MIB. I'm sensing an actual contest this summer season!

QUESTION? Was their a filter put on this contest that only allowed franchises or sequels this summer?

I see it as a 6 horse race between

Avengers: Endgame
    Lion King
    Spiderman: Far From Home
    Toy Story 4
    Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

Missing the opening of Avengers makes me nervous, but I think it still makes top 5. Spiderman will be riding the Avengers hype wave and definitely be top 5. Put me down for

Avengers: Endgame
    Spiderman: Far From Home
    Pokemon: Detective Pikachu
    Lion King
    Toy Story 4

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Lock

Lock

Aladdin (May 24)
    Lock

Toy Story 4 (June 21)
    Lock

Lock

The Lion King (July 19)
    Lock

Lock

...and that's not including wild cards of Pokemon, X-Men or MIB. I'm sensing an actual contest this summer season!

QUESTION? Was their a filter put on this contest that only allowed franchises or sequels this summer?
    Was there a filter that only allowed 5 choices?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Ah yes... looking at the poll results so far, I see I will have an easy win over people joining the JasonEvans club and sleeping on the Pokemon franchise like a Snorlax.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Ah yes... looking at the poll results so far, I see I will have an easy win over people joining the JasonEvans club and sleeping on the Pokemon franchise like a Snorlax.
    Yeah, for those that didn't know, Pokemon is kind of a big deal.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Even with JE's rule, I'm guessing if you leave Endgame off your list, your game is ended.

The company has announced “Endgame” sold fives times as many tickets in this period as “Avengers: Infinity War,” which currently holds the box office record for highest-grossing opening weekend with $257 million domestic. But “Endgame” did more than just break a Fandango record, it changed how the company operates.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...191433213.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I think there are six films vying for four spots.

The locks:
    Avengers
    Lion King
    Toy Story
    Pokemon

The next two:
    Spidey
    Aladdin

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I think there are six films vying for four spots.

The locks:
    Avengers
    Lion King
    Toy Story
    Pokemon

The next two:
    Spidey
    Aladdin
    Secret Life of Pets pulled in $368 million. That ranks it as #42 in ALL-TIME domestic gross. It was #4 for all of 2016, only behind Rogue One, Dory and Captain America: Civil War. Illumination itself is on a good roll with quite a few Sing, Minions and Despicable ME 1,2,3. To not even consider it a contender is bold.

Then of course you dismiss the F&F franchise. The last three F&F movies have all grossed over $225 million with FF7 topping well over $300 million. Though, this one would be more of a contender if world wide take were considered.

Secret Life of Pets pulled in $368 million. That ranks it as #42 in ALL-TIME domestic gross. It was #4 for all of 2016, only behind Rogue One, Dory and Captain America: Civil War. Illumination itself is on a good roll with quite a few Sing, Minions and Despicable ME 1,2,3. To not even consider it a contender is bold.

Then of course you dismiss the F&F franchise. The last three F&F movies have all grossed over $225 million with FF7 topping well over $300 million. Though, this one would be more of a contender if world wide take were considered.
    F&F comes out August 2nd, so it will only have one month to accumulate a box office total. I think that kills any chance it would have had.

The week TSLOP came out, it had no real competition. Finding Dory had already been out for a month. The second biggest movie to release that weekend? Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates. It had a 50% drop it's second weekend (which is common) and the only big movie that came out was the new Ghostbusters. I just can't see it happening in a summer where you have Toy Story, Pokemon, and multiple Marvel and Disney releases. Those will all draw kids out too.

Was tempted to vote for FF: Calvin and Hobbes. That seems like an ambitious crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Was tempted to vote for FF: Calvin and Hobbes. That seems like an ambitious crossover.
    Calvin's dad is a patent attorney. Anyone that can extract humor from that is nothing short of genius.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    I am torn between Aladdin and Pokeman. I feel like Pokeman will do better globally, but Aladdin may do better domestically. On the other hand my grandson loves Pokeman and Ryan Reynolds is involved so:

Endgame - Miss the first week but have all summer to make it up
    Spider-Man - Marvel strikes again
    The Lion King- At least three generations will lineup for this
    Toy Story 4 - Fantastic franchise. Every one of them is really good. Mass appeal
    Pokeman: Detective whatever - I have absolutely no idea what the big deal is, but I am aware there is one

Lot's of choices for kids of all ages this summer. Hopefully blue Will Smith will not curse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    I am torn between Aladdin and Pokeman. I feel like Pokeman will do better globally, but Aladdin may do better domestically. On the other hand my grandson loves Pokeman and Ryan Reynolds is involved so:

Endgame - Miss the first week but have all summer to make it up
    Spider-Man - Marvel strikes again
    The Lion King- At least three generations will lineup for this
    Toy Story 4 - Fantastic franchise. Every one of them is really good. Mass appeal
    Pokeman: Detective whatever - I have absolutely no idea what the big deal is, but I am aware there is one

Lot's of choices for kids of all ages this summer. Hopefully blue Will Smith will not curse me.
    Maybe this is just me, but most of the press I've seen about Aladdin has been cautious or outright negative. Seems like the highest flop potential on the list (expectations for X-Men are probably too high as well, it almost belongs folded into the "field" category).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Maybe this is just me, but most of the press I've seen about Aladdin has been cautious or outright negative. Seems like the highest flop potential on the list (expectations for X-Men are probably too high as well, it almost belongs folded into the "field" category).
    If this were the first Marvel led X-Men, I might agree with you, but I feel like at this point there aren't many expectations for Dark Phoenix. It's not as if Apocalypse was well received.

If this were the first Marvel led X-Men, I might agree with you, but I feel like at this point there aren't many expectations for Dark Phoenix. It's not as if Apocalypse was well received.
    As someone who has generally enjoyed the majority of the X-men flicks (X3 was pretty bad, the first Wolverine movie I even enjoyed some) Apocalypse was a hot mess than has really lowered my level of interest and/or expectation. Seems the franchise seemed to take their audience for granted and spent no time building a cohesive plot at all. Ugh.

I think we're agreeing with each other, just using different meanings of expectations. I'm saying that including X-Men on the list of choices is setting expectations for moviegoer turnout too high, not that people are expecting great things from it. I'm skeptical it is even in the top 10-15 for summer movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I think we're agreeing with each other, just using different meanings of expectations. I'm saying that including X-Men on the list of choices is setting expectations for moviegoer turnout too high, not that people are expecting great things from it. I'm skeptical it is even in the top 10-15 for summer movies.
    It is worth noting that X-men: Dark Phoenix was originally a February release... then the studio saw it and they got back early test screening results and they said, "we think this movie will play just fine in the middle of a franchise heavy summer." That's some strong confidence there! I don't know if it can make out top 5, but I will be more than mildly shocked if it is not well received by fans and scores 80%+ on Rotten Tomatoes.

-Jason "maybe I should have only had like 10 choices and lumped a couple more films into the field... sorry" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that X-men: Dark Phoenix was originally a February release... then the studio saw it and they got back early test screening results and they said, "we think this movie will play just fine in the middle of a franchise heavy summer." That's some strong confidence there! I don't know if it can make out top 5, but I will be more than mildly shocked if it is not well received by fans and scores 80%+ on Rotten Tomatoes.

-Jason "maybe I should have only had like 10 choices and lumped a couple more films into the field... sorry" Evans
    That is certainly some confidence, and I'm sure it will do "well" assuming the budget is under control...but it is a sequel to a poorly received movie in a franchise that has generally not been blowing the doors off in terms of box office numbers (you are not allowed to count Deadpool as part of the X-Men movie franchise). This would probably need to be one of the highest grossing X-Men movies ever to make our top 5 and I don't see where that hype would come from.