View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 grossing films at the summer 2019 boxoffice

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Avengers: Endgame

48 97.96%
  • Pokemon: Detective Pikachu

19 38.78%
  • John Wick: Chapter 3

0 0%
  • Aladdin

11 22.45%
  • Godzilla: King of Monsters

2 4.08%
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2

17 34.69%
  • X-Men: Dark Phoenix

4 8.16%
  • Men in Black: International

3 6.12%
  • Toy Story 4

46 93.88%
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

43 87.76%
  • The Lion King

45 91.84%
  • Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

0 0%
  • Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw

7 14.29%
  • Field (any film not mentioned above)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agreed with the recommendations. As someone who really liked the XMen movies, if you were determined to add one more, make it Days of Future Past. But don't get crazy ideas in your head that any others are worth watching. Because they really aren't.
    I thought The Wolverine was good as well, although not as good as the others in the good group.

IIRC, originally it was supposed to be directed by Darren Aronofsky but he became too busy with other projects. That could have really been a hell of a movie.

I would say do it in this order:

1) X-men
    2) X2
    3) First Class
    4) DOFP
    5) Logan

You can and should watch the 2 Deadpool movies any time you want after seeing X-men (which introduced the whole concept to the cinema)
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    As I read on twitter today, "Movie sequel that no one wanted or was excited about surprisingly tanks at the boxoffice."

MIB:Intl made a paltry $28.5 million opening weekend. It may not even make it to $100 million total. Needless to say, it has no chance of being even a blip on the radar in our contest.

Secret Life of Pets 2 fell nearly 50%, not awful but it needed to do much much better than that to have the legs to challenge Aladdin. It made $23.8 mil and hasn't even cracked the $100 mil mark yet ($92 mil). It is also likely toast in our contest. Aladdin, meanwhile, only fell 32% in weekend #4 and made $16.7 mil. It stands at $263 million and maybe has a chance of actually making it to $300 mil in total (I think it probably ends up about $10-15 mil short of that mark). Anyway, it is looking more and more like a lock. As stated earlier, if it is not in our top 5, Aladdin will be far and away the most successful film to ever fail to reach the top 5.

-Jason "Toy Story 4 coming next weekend... it will be a huge opening, north of $175 mil, I would bet" Evans
    JE - our contest is over. You should call it. The 5 will be Avengers, Alladin, Toy Story, Spider-Man and Lion King. Nothing else has a shot at catching these 5. Nothing will come within 100M if catching these 5. It’s ovah as they say up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    JE - our contest is over. You should call it. The 5 will be Avengers, Alladin, Toy Story, Spider-Man and Lion King. Nothing else has a shot at catching these 5. Nothing will come within 100M if catching these 5. It’s ovah as they say up here.
    And look what we have here, an all Disney sweep!!! There seems to be a common theme with these contests...

I’m starting to think Disney is going to take over ALL the good content. I can’t wait for Disney + but I am very worried about what they will be charging for this service in 5 years.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Bigperm13, dpslaw, YmoBeThere and myself all thank you for jynxing us.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Yeah, I am largely inclined to agree... but there is more than a 0% chance that something can catch one of these (likely Aladdin). Furious 7 made $353 million... is it impossible to imagine that Hobbs and Shaw could come close to that figure?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

JE - our contest is over. ...
    Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Sad that I still quote a movie 40+ years later; kids today have no clue what I'm talking about. But they probably have no idea why Pearl Harbor is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Over? Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Sad that I still quote a movie 40+ years later; kids today have no clue what I'm talking about. But they probably have no idea why Pearl Harbor is significant.
    it was over, they just didn’t know it yet.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Pretty funny that there is a strong likelihood that the Summer contest is over, before Summer even starts.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So, I might as well chime in about the little film I saw last week that I was embargoed from talking about for the first few days.

Toy Story 4 is a stunning achievement. If you feel like listening to me and my podcast buddy gush about it, here you go: https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ut-toy-story-4

The courage it took to make this film is stunning... I mean, they had ended the series at #3 and had stuck the landing in a way that most franchises would kill to achieve. If they had messed this up, it would have been a disaster. It would have looked like a cash grab and could have turned audiences off from Pixar's entire brand. No one was demanding another Toy Story film. Why mess with a great thing and risk tainting it?

But, they locked onto a compelling story with a real point to make and they came up with something truly magical. It is probably the funniest film in the entire Toy Story series but still has amazing characters and a ton of heart. It is remarkable how Pixar can make us care about a random toy after only spending a couple minutes with it on film. Forky, Duke Caboom (Keanu Reeves is having a heck of a year!!), Bo Peep (always a side character but center stage in this film), Duck and Bunny (Key and Peele are a national treasure), and even the bad guy Gabby Gabby are fully formed characters who get an arc and a purpose. This is one of the better scripts we will see this year. I will be very disappointed if this flick does not garner multiple Academy Award nominations (beyond being the front runner for Best Animated Film).

--Jason "I don't care how old you are or what kind of films you like, there's something for you in Toy Story 4. See it... soon. You won't be sorry" Evans

So, I might as well chime in about the little film I saw last week that I was embargoed from talking about for the first few days.

Toy Story 4 is a stunning achievement. If you feel like listening to me and my podcast buddy gush about it, here you go: https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...ut-toy-story-4

The courage it took to make this film is stunning... I mean, they had ended the series at #3 and had stuck the landing in a way that most franchises would kill to achieve. If they had messed this up, it would have been a disaster. It would have looked like a cash grab and could have turned audiences off from Pixar's entire brand. No one was demanding another Toy Story film. Why mess with a great thing and risk tainting it?

But, they locked onto a compelling story with a real point to make and they came up with something truly magical. It is probably the funniest film in the entire Toy Story series but still has amazing characters and a ton of heart. It is remarkable how Pixar can make us care about a random toy after only spending a couple minutes with it on film. Forky, Duke Caboom (Keanu Reeves is having a heck of a year!!), Bo Peep (always a side character but center stage in this film), Duck and Bunny (Key and Peele are a national treasure), and even the bad guy Gabby Gabby are fully formed characters who get an arc and a purpose. This is one of the better scripts we will see this year. I will be very disappointed if this flick does not garner multiple Academy Award nominations (beyond being the front runner for Best Animated Film).

--Jason "I don't care how old you are or what kind of films you like, there's something for you in Toy Story 4. See it... soon. You won't be sorry" Evans

One thing that got me excited about this movie is that one of the writers is Rashida Jones. Lots of us know her from her acting on The Office and Parks & Rec. She's also the daughter of Quincy Jones.
    Why does her involvement excite me? I love seeing talented people prove that they are multifaceted. I have so much respect for someone who CREATES something, as opposed to someone who brings it to life. I have respect for those folks too, but doing both, I love that. People who ooze talent just make me smile.
    (Prime example, Justin Timberlake. Not into his music, but I have mad respect for the fact that he can write what he sings, play the instruments, and act in the movie that his song could be the theme for, all while dancing circles around the whole cast.)

Saw TS4 early through a buddy’s passes from his job and have to say I can’t add more to what Jason said and wholeheartedly agree - it is an achievement in cinema. I was sure it was gonna be good but very cash grab-y. I was wrong, it was excellent. I have no shame saying that as a 42 year old dude commenting on a cartoon. Probably will finish #2 behind Lion King in our contest.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    And look what we have here, an all Disney sweep!!! There seems to be a common theme with these contests...

I’m starting to think Disney is going to take over ALL the good content. I can’t wait for Disney + but I am very worried about what they will be charging for this service in 5 years.
    Hedge your risk and just buy some DIS.

(The stock. This is not a recommemdation to buy or sell a specific security. I'm not professionally trained nor licensed to buy or sell securities or provide investment advice. And given the SEC's new best interest rule, I'm certain that you are no better off after they've announced that 1400 page monstrosity. But I digress, this is about eating popcorn and having an enjoyable time at the air conditioned theater.)

Disney has announced plans to re-release Endgame. It will have some additional footage, all in the hopes of beating Avatar's domestic gross record.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Disney has announced plans to re-release Endgame. It will have some additional footage, all in the hopes of beating Avatar's domestic gross record.
    I read that earlier, and laughed. It seems like all the footage is post credits. So you have to sit through the three hour long movie to see a couple minutes of something "new", that if you are patient enough for, you can watch at home.
    Totally curious to see how well that works out. Maybe people will buy tix and show up 2 and a half hours into it.
    "Dad, I wanna see Toy Story!"
    "Sorry, kids, we gotta go watch Marvel grab my money."

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Avatar doesn't own the domestic gross record, The Force Awakens does.

Avatar owns the worldwide box office record.

It’s been a really bad summer for quality and I loved Endgame so I’ll go see it again and TS4 again to get the taste of these bad movies out of my mouth. AMC A-List makes it free and the choice an easy one. Yesterday is hovering around 60% on RT which is disappointing but I’ll still see it because of A-List.

It is still going to make the top 5, for sure, but Toy Story 4's opening weekend of $118 million is a good $30 million less than expectations. I suspect this one will have strong legs because the reviews/buzz are so good.

It is still going to make the top 5, for sure, but Toy Story 4's opening weekend of $118 million is a good $30 million less than expectations. I suspect this one will have strong legs because the reviews/buzz are so good.
    Who was better? Buzz, Woody, or Forky?

Just saw TS4 and I have to say I wasn't blown away by it. Was it good? Yes but no way it was better than TS3. Maybe I had expectations that were too high but I thought it was average for Pixar and not in their top tier of films.